Meeja strikes again?

Old April 21st 17, 11:11 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Meeja strikes again?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I never did understand east and west in any case, as on a sphere it makes
no obvious sense other than very locally to a given spot in relation to
another one. North and south have on assumes a point at the poles where
they reverse as far as direction of travel is concerned as you have an
actual pole of axis rotation to refer to.

The west/east dilemma on a sphere refers to the shorter of the two routes.
If something is east of you, that is the direction that you go to get there
sooner, even though you could go in the diametrically opposite direction and
still get there eventually.

Old April 21st 17, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Graham." wrote in message
When you ask for the four cardinal compass points, most people would
name them in a particular order, viz. N S E W.

Why? How did that come about?
Why not clockwise N E S W?
or if we are going to do top & bottom first why not then go left &
right, as in western writing ie. N S W E?

Since childhood I have always had to go through the thought process of
thinking of "N S E W" as "up down left right", and then have to
reverse the left and right!

I tend to think of them in the order N S W E as being the logical order that
preserves "top bottom left right". That way you put the positive numerical
direction (wrt the equator or Greenwich) before the negative one in both
cases.

Old April 21st 17, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 19:49:57 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 20/04/2017 18:40, Peter Duncanson wrote:

I wonder, I just wonder.

From a position in (preferably on!) the Pacific Ocean the countries we
describe as "the East": China, Japan, etc, are on the left, and the
countries we describe as "the West" are on the right.

So, from that Pacific viewpoint interpreting "East" and "West" as those
groups of countries:

E + W

It wasn't a case of that, it's just a pure cock up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bpqnbx4tj3sn1c/2017-04-20%2013.21.10%20-%20Copy.jpg?dl=0

I was wondering whether what I referred to was the cause of the cock up.
There is nothing on the map to show a cause one way or another.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old April 21st 17, 03:49 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , NY
writes
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:

Woody wrote:

and the got E and W reversed.

As someone has pointed out elsewhere regarding it, BBC NWES

Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

That reminds me of a very funny clue that I once saw in a car treasure
hunt "Never eat shredded wheat with baked beans" - you had to look for
a farm sign "Four Winds" :-)

And I was reminded of an old piece of verse:

On Nevski Bridge a Russian stood,
Chewing his beard for want of food.
"It's tough," he said, "this stuff to eat,
But a damn sight better than Shredded Wheat."
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses
Old April 21st 17, 04:26 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote in message
The arrows of indecision did appear the opposite way when used on
British Rail ferrys under the Sealink brand , the one painted on the
port side of funnels and the actual Sealink house flag had them that
way round so for residents of Dover ,Weymouth etc they would not
appear that " wrong".

I've heard two theories about this: one that they used normal BR on one side
and reversed on the other side, so from either side the arrow was facing in
the direction of travel (which fails if the ship is reversible); and the
other that *both* sides were reversed, to reflect the "navigate on the
right" rule for shipping compared with the "drive on the left" rule for
trains.

I always thought the logo for the National Bus company which hung on
for a long time with National Express was fairly clever but possibly
too subtle for many.
Most people probably just thought it was an arrow, well it was an
arrow but it is formed by a vertical letter N for National casting a
shadow on the ground to create the arrow.
https://hobbydb-production.s3.amazon...2-5017/NBC.png

I just saw it as a blue N and a red N, both sloping backwards. I didn't see
an arrow in it, but now you mention it...

Old April 21st 17, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 21/04/2017 12:08, NY wrote:
"Andy wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:

Woody wrote:

and the got E and W reversed.

As someone has pointed out elsewhere regarding it, BBC NWES

Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

That reminds me of a very funny clue that I once saw in a car treasure hunt
"Never eat shredded wheat with baked beans" - you had to look for a farm
sign "Four Winds" :-)

That reminds me of a treasure hunt I took part in while on holiday.
Approaching a T junction along a road that led to a left or right turn,
I had a clue that said "head to the water". Turning right led to a
cover over a fire hydrant. Turning left led to a featureless road. So
I turned right, and then got hopelessly lost.

The left turn led to a reservoir about a mile ahead. But without a map
or local knowledge, how would I know that?

Old April 21st 17, 05:59 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 21/04/2017 12:11, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I never did understand east and west in any case, as on a sphere it
makes no obvious sense other than very locally to a given spot in
relation to another one. North and south have on assumes a point at
the poles where they reverse as far as direction of travel is
concerned as you have an actual pole of axis rotation to refer to.

The west/east dilemma on a sphere refers to the shorter of the two
routes. If something is east of you, that is the direction that you go
to get there sooner, even though you could go in the diametrically
opposite direction and still get there eventually.

Exactly the same applies to North/South though ?

--
Mark
Old April 21st 17, 06:57 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 21/04/2017 17:26, NY wrote:

I just saw it as a blue N and a red N, both sloping backwards. I didn't
see an arrow in it, but now you mention it...

....and until now, I've only ever seen it as an arrow !

--
Mark
Old April 21st 17, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 21/04/2017 17:26, NY wrote:

I just saw it as a blue N and a red N, both sloping backwards. I didn't
see an arrow in it, but now you mention it...

...and until now, I've only ever seen it as an arrow !

Which just goes to show that different people see different things in logos.

You know that company "B&M Bargains" whose logo is like a garish 1960s soap
powder advert
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...etail_logo.jpg

Well my wife took one look at the logo on a new branch that had opened up
and said "What do they sell at BUM Bargains?" (answers on a postcode,
please!)

Old April 23rd 17, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:42:01 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

That is so, but unfortunately nobody can afford to use them any more.

No, the fares structure is so complicated by the time they've worked
out how much it might cost, they've missed the train they were hoping
to catch.

--
Cheers
Dave.