Meeja strikes again?

Old April 20th 17, 05:43 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

Default Meeja strikes again?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 08:47:13 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 20/04/17 00:17, Graham. wrote:

I was looking at a railway enthusiast website the other day, each page
carried Gerry Barney famous British Rail double arrow logo but in
every case the upper arrow was pointing left and the lower one
pointing right. I tried hard to find an ironic motive for the
reversal, but if there was one it eluded me.

It's a campaign logo.

http://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/

Thanks for pointing it out. I guess my brain couldn't get beyond it
being "wrong"

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 20th 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 18:40:56 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 22:51:26 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

Did anyone see the 10pm news on BBC1 tonight?

An item about the 'armarda' that Donald Trump supposedly sent to 'keep
an
eye' on the works of North Korea. The 6th fleet was in Singapore and
was
despatched accordingly.

Some bright sub-ed came up with the idea of generating a graphic map
to show
the relative locations. Nothing wrong with that except that someone
decided to put a compass on it (er, doesn't everyone know that North
is up?)
and the got E and W reversed.

I rest my case.

I wonder, I just wonder.

From a position in (preferably on!) the Pacific Ocean the countries we
describe as "the East": China, Japan, etc, are on the left, and the
countries we describe as "the West" are on the right.

So, from that Pacific viewpoint interpreting "East" and "West" as those
groups of countries:

E + W

That logic doesn't always work, otherwise Australians wouldn't
identify as coming from "down under"

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 20th 17, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 20/04/2017 18:40, Peter Duncanson wrote:

I wonder, I just wonder.

From a position in (preferably on!) the Pacific Ocean the countries we
describe as "the East": China, Japan, etc, are on the left, and the
countries we describe as "the West" are on the right.

So, from that Pacific viewpoint interpreting "East" and "West" as those
groups of countries:

E + W

It wasn't a case of that, it's just a pure cock up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bpqnbx4tj3sn1c/2017-04-20%2013.21.10%20-%20Copy.jpg?dl=0

--
Mark
Old April 20th 17, 07:46 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 20/04/2017 18:40, Peter Duncanson wrote:

I wonder, I just wonder.

From a position in (preferably on!) the Pacific Ocean the countries
we
describe as "the East": China, Japan, etc, are on the left, and the
countries we describe as "the West" are on the right.

So, from that Pacific viewpoint interpreting "East" and "West" as
those
groups of countries:

E + W

It wasn't a case of that, it's just a pure cock up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bpqnbx4tj3sn1c/2017-04-20%2013.21.10%20-%20Copy.jpg?dl=0

--

Which was where my thread started!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 20th 17, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mark Carver wrote:

Woody wrote:

and the got E and W reversed.

As someone has pointed out elsewhere regarding it, BBC NWES

Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

Old April 20th 17, 10:52 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:46:00 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 20/04/2017 18:40, Peter Duncanson wrote:

I wonder, I just wonder.

From a position in (preferably on!) the Pacific Ocean the countries
we
describe as "the East": China, Japan, etc, are on the left, and the
countries we describe as "the West" are on the right.

So, from that Pacific viewpoint interpreting "East" and "West" as
those
groups of countries:

E + W

It wasn't a case of that, it's just a pure cock up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bpqnbx4tj3sn1c/2017-04-20%2013.21.10%20-%20Copy.jpg?dl=0

--

Which was where my thread started!

OK! The thread has gone round the Earth and arrived back where it
started. But did it go East to West, or West to East? :-)

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old April 20th 17, 11:14 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 20/04/2017 18:40, Peter Duncanson wrote:

I wonder, I just wonder.

From a position in (preferably on!) the Pacific Ocean the countries
we
describe as "the East": China, Japan, etc, are on the left, and the
countries we describe as "the West" are on the right.

So, from that Pacific viewpoint interpreting "East" and "West" as
those
groups of countries:

E + W

It wasn't a case of that, it's just a pure cock up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bpqnbx4tj3sn1c/2017-04-20%2013.21.10%20-%20Copy.jpg?dl=0

--

Which was where my thread started!

When you ask for the four cardinal compass points, most people would
name them in a particular order, viz. N S E W.

Why? How did that come about?
Why not clockwise N E S W?
or if we are going to do top & bottom first why not then go left &
right, as in western writing ie. N S W E?

Since childhood I have always had to go through the thought process of
thinking of "N S E W" as "up down left right", and then have to
reverse the left and right!
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 20th 17, 11:23 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

wrote:

When you ask for the four cardinal compass points, most people would
name them in a particular order, viz. N S E W.

Why? How did that come about?
Why not clockwise N E S W?
or if we are going to do top & bottom first why not then go left &
right, as in western writing ie. N S W E?

Since childhood I have always had to go through the thought process of
thinking of "N S E W" as "up down left right", and then have to
reverse the left and right!

You've got me wondering. I suspect it's opposite pairs in alphabetical
order, rather than directional order.
--
Dave W

Old April 21st 17, 07:32 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

I never did understand east and west in any case, as on a sphere it makes
no obvious sense other than very locally to a given spot in relation to
another one. North and south have on assumes a point at the poles where
they reverse as far as direction of travel is concerned as you have an
actual pole of axis rotation to refer to.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

Old April 21st 17, 11:08 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:

Woody wrote:

and the got E and W reversed.

As someone has pointed out elsewhere regarding it, BBC NWES

Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

That reminds me of a very funny clue that I once saw in a car treasure hunt
"Never eat shredded wheat with baked beans" - you had to look for a farm
sign "Four Winds" :-)