Interactive tv

Old April 18th 17, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Interactive tv

Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of tv delivered
over the internet was interactive programs. Whatever happened to that?
We could all vote in the election or referenda weekly if we wanted to then.

Also of course in much the same way as 'turns' on old fashioned talent shows
were hooked off after a few minutes if they were dying, we could get rid of
the worst programs in under three weeks.

Old April 18th 17, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham Murray

"Brian Gaff" writes:

Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of tv delivered
over the internet was interactive programs. Whatever happened to that?
We could all vote in the election or referenda weekly if we wanted to then.

The same with DVDs, at specified points you could make a choice as to
which path to take. For example, a scene where 2 (or more) main
characters are in a pub, when one of them leaves giving you the choice
of whether to follow the character leaving or the one
remaining. However, the only DVDs which I have seen which offer this are
concert DVDs where different camera angles are offered for some
'tracks'.
Old April 18th 17, 09:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 19:13:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of tv delivered
over the internet was interactive programs. Whatever happened to that?
We could all vote in the election or referenda weekly if we wanted to then.

Also of course in much the same way as 'turns' on old fashioned talent shows
were hooked off after a few minutes if they were dying, we could get rid of
the worst programs in under three weeks.
Brian

I was involved with an early attempt of live interactivity (viewer
voting) at Granada in the mid 1980s. We used a couple of Labgear
Viewdata boxes on separate telephone lines dialling in to a computer
in London, (AGB/BARB in Hanger Lane IIRC)

Even with the redundancy, getting a noise free phone connection at 6pm
on a weekday was damn near impossible.

Funny you should mention hooks, because a similar setup was used for
voting on a Granada talent show pilot called "The Electronic Hook"
later "The Fame Game"

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 19th 17, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm, I had a labgear teletext unit. a bit of an old Philips tv and a tifax
decoder with huge numbers of ttl chips on it. Wired remote and a modulator.
It was slow and unreliable, its true, and did not do hold graphics either.
Sadly a few years ago it was sent to the recyclers.
No use for it any more.

Old April 19th 17, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of tv delivered
over the internet was interactive programs. Whatever happened to that?
We could all vote in the election or referenda weekly if we wanted to
then.

Also of course in much the same way as 'turns' on old fashioned talent
shows were hooked off after a few minutes if they were dying, we could get
rid of the worst programs in under three weeks.

Farewell reality TV. Farewell shopping channels. Farewell talent shows.

Sadly, my idea of "the worst programmes" wouldn't coincide with other
people's ideas, and I fear that the majority of the people would favour
keeping those and getting rid of drama and informative documentaries.

Old April 19th 17, 01:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 18/04/2017 20:17, Graham Murray wrote:
"Brian Gaff" writes:

Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of tv delivered
over the internet was interactive programs. Whatever happened to that?
We could all vote in the election or referenda weekly if we wanted to then.

The same with DVDs, at specified points you could make a choice as to
which path to take. For example, a scene where 2 (or more) main
characters are in a pub, when one of them leaves giving you the choice
of whether to follow the character leaving or the one
remaining. However, the only DVDs which I have seen which offer this are
concert DVDs where different camera angles are offered for some
'tracks'.

I don't like the idea of having to choose how the plot develops - that's
the writer's job - though sub-plots and series story arcs could be optional.

It would be more useful to be able to decide, in advance, how much time
should be devoted to the various elements, and how they are depicted.
You might want 20 minutes of car chase, or just a minute or two, with
the outcome being the same. And how long and violent do you want the
fight scenes? (Needless to say, love scenes could be adjustable in
various ways.)

Perhaps, more controversially, other factors could be adjustable, such
as how much diversity and which sexualities are depicted - like in the
various versions of /The Children's Hour/ where the indiscretion
depicted may be lesbianism or marital infidelity.

--
Max Demian
Old April 20th 17, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"pamela" wrote in message
On 19:13 18 Apr 2017, Brian Gaff wrote:

Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of tv
delivered over the internet was interactive programs. Whatever
happened to that? We could all vote in the election or referenda
weekly if we wanted to then.

Also of course in much the same way as 'turns' on old fashioned
talent shows were hooked off after a few minutes if they were
dying, we could get rid of the worst programs in under three
weeks.
Brian

Last month Netflix announced it would run be running a trial of
interactive tv later this year. Considering Netflix's audience is
skewed towards the younger generations, I dread to think what the
outcome will be. See this article:

"Love a happy ending? Netflix starts working on technology that
will allow viewers to decide how the story unfolds via their
remote

what's the point of deciding how a program's going to end before you watch
it

surely that takes all the suspense out of watching it

tim

Old April 20th 17, 11:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:00:03 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

Last month Netflix announced it would run be running a trial of
interactive tv later this year. Considering Netflix's audience is
skewed towards the younger generations, I dread to think what the
outcome will be. See this article:

"Love a happy ending? Netflix starts working on technology that
will allow viewers to decide how the story unfolds via their
remote

what's the point of deciding how a program's going to end before you watch
it

surely that takes all the suspense out of watching it

Agreed. I remember this concept first appearing in book form, and
regarding it then as interesting but pointless. I don't see how
television could improve it, as you can't augment the merit of
something that has none to begin with.

Old April 20th 17, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Roderick Stewart wrote:

Agreed. I remember this concept first appearing in book form,

"Choose Your Own Adventure" by any chance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure

I also remember an attempt to do something like that by
telephone, "Fantasy Interactive Scenario By Telephone", some
kind of early RPG on a premium rate number in the 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantas...s_by_Telephone

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk