Interactive tv

Old April 20th 17, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pamela

Default Interactive tv

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 27, 2017.

On 10:00 20 Apr 2017, tim... wrote:

"pamela" wrote in message
On 19:13 18 Apr 2017, Brian Gaff wrote:

Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of
tv delivered over the internet was interactive programs.
Whatever happened to that? We could all vote in the election
or referenda weekly if we wanted to then.

Also of course in much the same way as 'turns' on old
fashioned talent shows were hooked off after a few minutes if
they were dying, we could get rid of the worst programs in
under three weeks.
Brian

Last month Netflix announced it would run be running a trial of
interactive tv later this year. Considering Netflix's audience
is skewed towards the younger generations, I dread to think
what the outcome will be. See this article:

"Love a happy ending? Netflix starts working on technology
that will allow viewers to decide how the story unfolds via
their remote

what's the point of deciding how a program's going to end before
you watch it

surely that takes all the suspense out of watching it

tim

I hate to know the ending. In fact I never watch film trailers to
avoid any expectation of what's coming up.

It might be fun for those brought up on social media to
gather in their masses on Facebook to lobby for particular plot
outcomes. Count me out.
Old April 20th 17, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Roderick Stewart wrote:

Agreed. I remember this concept first appearing in book form,

"Choose Your Own Adventure" by any chance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure

I also remember an attempt to do something like that by
telephone, "Fantasy Interactive Scenario By Telephone", some
kind of early RPG on a premium rate number in the 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantas...s_by_Telephone

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old April 20th 17, 11:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:51:52 +0100 (BST), lid (Mike)

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Agreed. I remember this concept first appearing in book form,

"Choose Your Own Adventure" by any chance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure

I also remember an attempt to do something like that by
telephone, "Fantasy Interactive Scenario By Telephone", some
kind of early RPG on a premium rate number in the 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantas...s_by_Telephone

There were games you could play on Teletext. IIRC you called a Premeum
Rate number that gave you a personal code which you keyed into your TV
as a sub-page AKA time-code, then you influenced the game using DTMF
on the phone.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%