This 'new channels' game

Old April 14th 17, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default This 'new channels' game

On Freeview it seems to me that channels re invent themselves by giving
themselves new names.
The other tendency is that they do a deal to get hold of shows that do not
fit their current name, so they create a part time new channel in the same
bandwidth to show them restricting the hours of the old one. Quest seem to
be playing this game, though for the life of me I do not see the
significance of the name 'Quest Red'.
Most of the stuff it shows have appeared elsewhere or are thinly disguised
foreign versions of reality cheap shows we invented here in the first place.
I mean Say yes to the Dress, really what the heck is this about.
Not a lot.
Some stations change their name for no apparent reason other than perhaps
vanity, like e now have Sony Movie Channel recycling the same heap of stuff
as other movie channels do but sadly with no audio description.

And so it goes on.

Technically the quality of even the sound of many of these is pretty naff
now, and standards seem to have gone south.

Old April 14th 17, 08:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

You seem to have forgotten Brian that the primary function of these
channels is to deliver advertising. So called 'programmes' are a
necessary evil to fill the gaps therein, so they buy the cheapest dross
they can find. The simplest solution is to edit your channel list and you
end up with about half a dozen of the least worst!

--
TOJ.
Old April 14th 17, 09:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

The idea sounds OK but the problem is that adverts very seldom work any more
so I see a crash not very far into the future when advertisers realise the
goose that laid the Golden Egg has been deceased for some time now. Then
maybe we will see us all having to pay for all channels and there will be a
huge shake up of what is being made.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
news

Old April 14th 17, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Curiously, for some reason that I do not understand, Yesterday seems
to have gone the other way. OK after 21h it is showing a lot of old
comedy stuff (from when they used to know how to make good comedy) but
prior to that they have had some good stuff on there of late. The
Abandonned/Impossible Engineering series have been fascinating, and
this new one about the underground war in WW1 is also amazing if
somewhat scary!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 16th 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 10:45:27 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

The idea sounds OK but the problem is that adverts very seldom work any
more so I see a crash not very far into the future when advertisers
realise the goose that laid the Golden Egg has been deceased for some
time now. Then maybe we will see us all having to pay for all channels
and there will be a huge shake up of what is being made.

That's a rather naive view of 'advertising', imo, Brian. The main thrust
of 'advertising' isn't so much to persuade someone directly to 'go out
and buy' so much as simply to maintain "Brand Awareness" in the mind of
the "Valued Customer" (aka, 'Valued Resource') so that when they are
wandering the aisles of their favoured group of chain stores, they will
be more likely to purchase the advertised "Named Brand" than a "No Name
Brand".

You may think that "Advertising no longer works." but you'd be totally
under-estimating the efficacy of the psychological war being waged on the
poor defenceless consumer by the marketing and advertising agencies who
employ only the best psychologists that money can buy.

It's no accident that the agencies have always referred to their
advertising efforts as "Advertising Campaigns". That phrase was well
chosen by those who understood the true nature of their task from the off.

Whenever I'm out shopping with the XYL, wandering around the
(admittedly, well signposted) maze of shopping aisles in the likes of
Asda, Aldi, Morrisons, Tesco, Home & Bargain or any other large chain
store you care to mention, I'm always very conscious of the fact that I'm
being treated just like a lab rat in a laboratory maze set about with
various psychological traps.

In the case of the aforementioned emporia, their proprietors are waging
a psychological war against the shopper (or, more accurately, their bank
balance - the aim of *this game* being to maximise depletion of same
since it directly corresponds to maximising the profitability of the
business of selling goods, the sole point of their existence).

The very layout of such stores from the aisles right down to the
individual shelving is very carefully arranged to maximise sales of
highly profitable lines whilst discouraging sales of low profit versions
provided to give the illusion of choice and is a fine example of the
"Psychological Mind Game" par excellence.

Even the knowledge that you're patrolling a psychological war zone can't
completely protect you from your most hidden 'retail therapy' desires
(not even being a grown up man who *does* understand the need to *only*
food shop *after* a very heavy meal!).

Advertising has been such an all pervading and insidious part our lives
since the advent of TV advertising (over half a century ago in the UK)
that it's almost impossible to completely shake off its influence on our
purchasing habits even when we're actively trying to nullify its effect.

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 16th 17, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 16:19:51 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

Advertising has been such an all pervading and insidious part our lives
since the advent of TV advertising (over half a century ago in the UK)
that it's almost impossible to completely shake off its influence on our
purchasing habits even when we're actively trying to nullify its effect.

You can shake off most of their influence if you don't watch them,
either by using the skip button on playback, or by editing out the
advert breaks before watching.

It also saves an enormous amount of your time. A programme that has
been put in a 2 hour time slot will usually have an actual running
time of about 1hr 30min.

Old April 16th 17, 05:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
The main thrust
of 'advertising' isn't so much to persuade someone directly to 'go out
and buy' so much as simply to maintain "Brand Awareness" in the mind of
the "Valued Customer" (aka, 'Valued Resource') so that when they are
wandering the aisles of their favoured group of chain stores, they will
be more likely to purchase the advertised "Named Brand" than a "No Name
Brand".

The problem with that is when you get people like me. I remember the advert
and the product but rarely the brand: I remember "that was the advert for
chips" but I've no idea which brand.

So the advert may make me think about buying chips, but I may equally well
buy a competitor's brand :-)

Maybe I have become more cynical with age, or maybe today's adverts have
become too clever by half, but I can remember more brands with adverts from
the 1970s and 80s than I can with today's adverts. "For Mash get Smash" and
the aliens, "Graded grains make finer flour (Homepride), "You can't get
fitter than a Kwik Fit fitter".

There's also the "not *this* sodding advert *again*" factor which makes me
deliberately buy a competitor's product because the advert has become
annoying.

Old April 16th 17, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

ISTR that the aliens advert was one of if not the most successful ad
ever made.

Old April 16th 17, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 16/04/2017 18:36, NY wrote:
[...]

You can't remember the lovely 'Go Compare' operatic song then, the Money
Supermarket 'You're so epic' men in hotpants, or the Compare the Market
meerkats?

Old April 16th 17, 08:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Norman Wells
writes
On 16/04/2017 18:36, NY wrote:
[...]

The Money Supermarket ads make me squirm, but I must confess to liking
the other two that you mention. The best ads on TV in recent years,
though, have been the Specsavers ones. They're much better than most of
the programmes. (They haven't persuaded me to change my optician,
however.)
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses