This 'new channels' game

Old April 18th 17, 03:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Default This 'new channels' game

"pamela" wrote in message
On 09:49 14 Apr 2017, The Other John wrote:

You seem to have forgotten Brian that the primary function of
these channels is to deliver advertising. So called
'programmes' are a necessary evil to fill the gaps therein, so
they buy the cheapest dross they can find. The simplest
solution is to edit your channel list and you end up with about
half a dozen of the least worst!

I believe many scheduling people aim for the "least bad" programme at
any given time in order to capture audience eyeballs.

Overall there's not much to watch on Freeview. And some of the ad
breaks go on for ever. Perhaps the odd BBC programme is worth
watching but those are getting more scarce.

I've given up bothering to even look through the guide and rarely
tune in to a Freeview channel.

Don't paid-for channels have just as much advertising and trailers as
Freeview (15 minutes per hour)? I'm interested in knowing how many minutes
per hour you pay for?
--
Dave W

Old April 18th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:58:15 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 21:25:31 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

Advertising has been such an all pervading and insidious part our lives
since the advent of TV advertising (over half a century ago in the UK)
that it's almost impossible to completely shake off its influence on our
purchasing habits even when we're actively trying to nullify its effect.

You can shake off most of their influence if you don't watch them,
either by using the skip button on playback, or by editing out the
advert breaks before watching.

That's true enough except that even the short glimpses of commercial
content you are forced to contend with when skipping ad breaks on
playback will still give the advertisers some benefit despite their
reduced impact - the ads seem designed specifically to maximise impact
when viewed in this fashion or when the sound is muted during realtime
playback where you are forced to glance at the screen every 20 seconds or
so to avoid missing the end of the ad break

How does this give any benefit to anybody if it doesn't persuade me to
buy the product? Adverts are irritatating enough when I see them in
full, but the occasional glimpse of a tiny part of one in fast forward
won't even have time to try to persuade me of anything.

I avoid adverts if at all possible. If I do see one I make a mental
note never to buy anything from the company (unless I already use
them).

Old April 19th 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 16:08:57 +0100, "Dave W"
wrote:

Don't paid-for channels have just as much advertising and trailers as
Freeview (15 minutes per hour)? I'm interested in knowing how many minutes
per hour you pay for?

When I occasionally watch a paid-for movie on Amazon, there are no
adverts, just the movie. This is an improvement on rental DVDs, which
frequently did have them.

rod.
Old April 19th 17, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pamela

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 26, 2017.

On 16:08 18 Apr 2017, Dave W wrote:

"pamela" wrote in message
[...]

I mainly watch Netflix or Amazon movies or alternatively the news
on satellite from France24, DW, Euronews, etc. If I can put up
with the general dowdiness, I might watch BBC World News also on
satellite but it's not often.

It makes for great viewing without kitchen sink soaps, antique
auctions, house makeovers, railway journeys, pet rescues, panel
games, hopeless sitcoms, etc.

To say nothing of no boring news stories about abductions, road
accidents, what the man on the street thinks, political
grandstanding, cost of living, moans about the NHS, sex
harrassment allegations, libel cases, celebrity downfalls, etc.