This 'new channels' game

Old April 16th 17, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default This 'new channels' game

On 16/04/2017 21:38, John Hall wrote:
In message , Norman Wells
writes
On 16/04/2017 18:36, NY wrote:
"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
The main thrust
of 'advertising' isn't so much to persuade someone directly to 'go out
and buy' so much as simply to maintain "Brand Awareness" in the mind of
the "Valued Customer" (aka, 'Valued Resource') so that when they are
wandering the aisles of their favoured group of chain stores, they will
be more likely to purchase the advertised "Named Brand" than a "No Name
Brand".

The problem with that is when you get people like me. I remember the
advert
and the product but rarely the brand: I remember "that was the advert
for
chips" but I've no idea which brand.

So the advert may make me think about buying chips, but I may equally
well
buy a competitor's brand :-)

Maybe I have become more cynical with age, or maybe today's adverts have
become too clever by half, but I can remember more brands with
adverts from
the 1970s and 80s than I can with today's adverts. "For Mash get
Smash" and
the aliens, "Graded grains make finer flour (Homepride), "You can't get
fitter than a Kwik Fit fitter".

You can't remember the lovely 'Go Compare' operatic song then, the
Money Supermarket 'You're so epic' men in hotpants, or the Compare the
Market meerkats?

The Money Supermarket ads make me squirm, but I must confess to liking
the other two that you mention. The best ads on TV in recent years,
though, have been the Specsavers ones. They're much better than most of
the programmes. (They haven't persuaded me to change my optician, however.)

Even so, the phrase 'Should have gone to Specsavers' has now entered
everyday language and there's now universal recognition of the brand.
Job done!

Old April 16th 17, 09:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 23, 2017.

On 2017-04-16, Norman Wells wrote:

[41 lines snipped]

Even so, the phrase 'Should have gone to Specsavers' has now entered
everyday language and there's now universal recognition of the brand.
Job done!

Only if more people go there. I'm afraid I only have a sample size of
two, and we don't.

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 33rd day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
Old April 16th 17, 09:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message

The very layout of such stores from the aisles right down to the
individual shelving is very carefully arranged to maximise sales of
highly profitable lines whilst discouraging sales of low profit versions
provided to give the illusion of choice and is a fine example of the
"Psychological Mind Game" par excellence.

I have to grovel on my knees in Waitrose to get the cheaper items.
--
Dave W

Old April 17th 17, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
UnsteadyKen[_6_]

In article , says...
Even so, the phrase 'Should have gone to Specsavers' has now entered
everyday language and there's now universal recognition of the brand.
Job done!

I remember the first time I heard that phrase and the moment of
confusion it caused.
The telephonists were changing shifts and as Betty sat down she bumped
into something and said that famous? slogan.
I'd never heard it and assumed she had just remembered she had an
opticians appointment so I said "You toddle off, I can manage fine on my
own it's a quiet night. As it was the 10pm shift changeover she was as
confused as I must have been.

I watched TV from 1961 to 1968 and have fond memories of the family
lying on the floor howling at the Rag Trade and Steptoe and son.
And two super children's series; Stranger on the shore and my favourite;
A for Andromeda.

I had a stroke in 2004 which mostly destroyed my short term memory and
made simple tasks such as making a pot of tea prone to errors and trying
to run a busy taxi company out of the question
http://www.skycabs.org.uk/

Anyway, In 2006 I got a second hand TV and a Freeview box and settled
down to watch all this marvelous stuff.
Sadly I must have bought a rogue Freeview box as it stubbornly refused
to receive anything worth watching.

Now I've got a 49" 4K wonder TV, a Freesat box and a Youview PVR and
they all have the same fault.

What in ****s name happened to quality TV I remember?

Old April 17th 17, 09:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 21:54:25 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

Even so, the phrase 'Should have gone to Specsavers' has now entered
everyday language and there's now universal recognition of the brand.
Job done!

True, though in my case it hasn't made me actually go to Specsavers,
even though there is one quite near. I've been going to the same chap
ever since I started needing glasses and just went to the first one I
found. He now has details of my vision and pictures of my retinas
going back over many years, which seems a good reason not to break the
continuity as he'll be able to spot any significant changes.

Just being able to remember a brand name doesn't guarantee anything .

Old April 17th 17, 11:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message

The very layout of such stores from the aisles right down to the
individual shelving is very carefully arranged to maximise sales of
highly profitable lines whilst discouraging sales of low profit versions
provided to give the illusion of choice and is a fine example of the
"Psychological Mind Game" par excellence.

I have to grovel on my knees in Waitrose to get the cheaper items.

Oh that's where they hide them

tim

Old April 17th 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 17/04/2017 10:06, UnsteadyKen wrote:
In article , says...
[...]

Should've bought a Mullard!

The older the TV the better the programmes.

Old April 17th 17, 07:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , UnsteadyKen
writes
I watched TV from 1961 to 1968 and have fond memories of the family
lying on the floor howling at the Rag Trade and Steptoe and son. And
two super children's series; Stranger on the shore and my favourite; A
for Andromeda.

I remember all of those. "A for Andromeda" I think was aimed very much
at adults, though no doubt many children watched and enjoyed it, like we
did.
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses
Old April 17th 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Monday, 17 April 2017 10:06:33 UTC+1, UnsteadyKen wrote:
What in ****s name happened to quality TV I remember?

Not sure I agree.

Yes there are a lot of repeats and a lot of the repeats are of stuff which wasn't great first time round and doesn't really warrant being repeated.

But I can remember (weekend afternoons especially) when BBC1 and ITV would both be showing the *same* football match and the only offering on BBC2 was some ghastly Western or WW2 film (usually John Wayne).

Then there would be something good on, "except for viewers in Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland" who instead of getting Victoria Wood live by satellite from Mars would be entertained by "Watching Grass Grow".

Owain
Old April 17th 17, 07:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"John Hall" wrote in message
In message ,
UnsteadyKen writes
I watched TV from 1961 to 1968 and have fond memories of the family
lying on the floor howling at the Rag Trade and Steptoe and son. And
two super children's series; Stranger on the shore and my favourite;
A for Andromeda.

I remember all of those. "A for Andromeda" I think was aimed very
much at adults, though no doubt many children watched and enjoyed
it, like we did.
--

As I remember it Stranger on the Shore (bit hit for Acker Bilk with
the theme tune) and A for Andromdea (ISTR Julie Christie in it?) were

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com