Parker's mike

Old April 10th 17, 06:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Default Parker's mike

On 10/04/2017 15:42, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 13:19:40 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
None left in London for many years AFAIAA, and I know of only one shop in
the UK now which sells old government surplus electronics gear (in
Lincoln). Are there any others?

There used to be one in Reading, somewhere near Cemetery Junction. I bought
a Cossor oscilloscope from there in about 1990. I bet it's long gone.

There used to be one in Kings Road next to the bridge over the Kennet. I bought
a Spitfire compass for 2/- there, it's now worth about £60

There was also 'The Shop on The Bridge' that is now an Indian
Restaurant, or maybe the redeveloped pub next door ? I can't remember
how close to the Kings Road bridge it was ?

/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNyMSijGbBJfAfqTvt5mnbA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

That was a first class electronics and aerial shop. According to Google
they seem to have relocated to the Oxford Road ?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48769bb69273da05:0xb3e3225222d0b1 f1!2m19!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m13!1b1!2m2!1m1!1 e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!3m1!7e115!4 shttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname%3D111514410443082274993%26id%3D637073 7943479620882%26target%3DPHOTO!5sshop+on+the+bridg e+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-ts_IQsTQ2cc/WGloZ-40lRI/AAAAAAAAEgU/tXHD0YgO5HcpLbNboVJ6pm8E3Fc71C6bgCLIB&sa=X&ved=0ah UKEwijvcW1t5rTAhWlJMAKHcrTAiEQoioIdzAK

--
Mark
Old April 10th 17, 07:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 10/04/2017 16:05, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 15:34:49 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

I've already said, it was Chiltmead !

There's a thread about Chiltmead here.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...om/RPmpiIzGy1A

Did they really get £1million off RBC in a legal action?

The company was in London Street until it was liquidated.
http://company-business.co.uk/search...LTMEAD-LIMITED

It was Orts Road when we visited, 1977/8 ish. As the posts in that link
say it was indeed in a row of condemned buildings, it was remarkable all
the kit didn't cause the whole row of terraces to collapse. Maybe that's
what actually happened !

Looks as if it's moved around quite a bit, because in between being in Orts
Road in the late 70s and being in London Street when it went into
liquidation, its shop was somewhere (IIRC) in the maze of streets between
Wokingham Road and Erleigh Road at the end of a terrace of houses.

Old April 11th 17, 10:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 11/04/2017 10:05, Martin wrote:

I lived Reading, when I was a teenager. I travelled through Reading in a Narrow
Boat in 2000 and hardly recognised anything.

It's changed enormously over the last 25 years.

One of the last artefacts of 'old' Reading, Jacksons dept store closed a
couple of years ago. Had the monopoly supply of all the school uniforms
in the area. I can remember being dragged there every August.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/jacksons-corner-restaurants-could-green-12284077

--
Mark
Old April 11th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 11/04/2017 10:22, Mark Carver wrote:

One of the last artefacts of 'old' Reading, Jacksons dept store closed a
couple of years ago. Had the monopoly supply of all the school uniforms
in the area. I can remember being dragged there every August.

It was the Co-op with us, because the Council was solidly Labour and
swung any money they could towards them.

Once you were in long trousers you had to have your inside leg measured.
Everything else was done by a lady assistant but it was felt that this
had to be done by a man. The man, however, seemed to relish the task,
and sometimes checked the measurement several times.

Old April 14th 17, 12:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

I was unclear if the lack of Audio Description on the Halifax ad was
down to them or the broadcaster. Halifax say the "technology isnít
available yet to use with Thunderbirds". So I think you were probably
right to think the Halifax don't want you.

--
Robin