Parker's mike

Old April 10th 17, 08:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default Parker's mike

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 09/04/17 23:56, Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 20:33:35 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On the Halifax advert Parker the chauffeur's microphone is actually a
belling socket.

Bill

I actually noticed that a couple of days ago. meant to post something
here, but forgot.

There was quite a lot of familiar electronics stuff in the shows, one
can imagine Gerry and Sylvia touring the electronics emporia on
Tottenham Court Road for props. Props from proops!

I spent many an hour in the late 50s and early 60s down the Tottenham
Court Road in Proops, Z & I Aero, and the like. But let's not forget
Lisle St. There were a lot of great shops there too.

also in the Edgeware Road

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old April 10th 17, 12:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
None left in London for many years AFAIAA, and I know of only one shop in
the UK now which sells old government surplus electronics gear (in
Lincoln). Are there any others?

There used to be one in Reading, somewhere near Cemetery Junction. I bought
a Cossor oscilloscope from there in about 1990. I bet it's long gone.

Old April 10th 17, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 10/04/2017 13:19, NY wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
None left in London for many years AFAIAA, and I know of only one shop
in the UK now which sells old government surplus electronics gear (in
Lincoln). Are there any others?

There used to be one in Reading, somewhere near Cemetery Junction. I
bought a Cossor oscilloscope from there in about 1990. I bet it's long
gone.

Chiltmead ? I went there in the 70s as a teenager with my mate. He
bought himself a Cossor 1035 scope, and the two of us lumped it down the
staircase there, and into his dad's estate cvar in the street. Super
fast 5 MHz IIRC ? :-)

--
Mark
Old April 10th 17, 12:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 10/04/17 13:19, NY wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
None left in London for many years AFAIAA, and I know of only one shop in
the UK now which sells old government surplus electronics gear (in
Lincoln). Are there any others?

There used to be one in Reading, somewhere near Cemetery Junction. I bought
a Cossor oscilloscope from there in about 1990. I bet it's long gone.

Probably the same one I went to in the mid-late 70s where I got an old
power supply with four OC26 transistors on big ally heatsinks. I
modified it to give 12V at 8 amps. One of the original pair of large
smoothing capacitors (manufactured in 1963 IIRC) finally gave up the
ghost a couple of years ago, although I hadn't used it to charge a car
battery for many years.

I can't remember the name of the place in Reading, but I agree that
it's probably long gone.

--

Jeff
Old April 10th 17, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , NY
wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
None left in London for many years AFAIAA, and I know of only one shop
in the UK now which sells old government surplus electronics gear (in
Lincoln). Are there any others?

There used to be one in Reading, somewhere near Cemetery Junction. I
bought a Cossor oscilloscope from there in about 1990. I bet it's long
gone.

Stewart of Reading are still going strong, but I doubt of they have much
Gov surplus stuff these days. www.stewart-of-reading.co.uk

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old April 10th 17, 01:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"charles" wrote in message
In article , NY
wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
None left in London for many years AFAIAA, and I know of only one shop
in the UK now which sells old government surplus electronics gear (in
Lincoln). Are there any others?

There used to be one in Reading, somewhere near Cemetery Junction. I
bought a Cossor oscilloscope from there in about 1990. I bet it's long
gone.

Stewart of Reading are still going strong, but I doubt of they have much
Gov surplus stuff these days. www.stewart-of-reading.co.uk

That does sound a familiar name, though I wouldn't swear to it. I *think* it
was in one of the residential back streets near Cemetery Junction (near the
VW garage where I bought my first Golf - a garage that has since moved to a
flash new showroom in the Basingstoke Road) but I may wrong or they may have
moved.

Thinking of Reading, does anyone remember the restaurant, again somewhere
near Cemetery Junction, which served "supper" to its diners at set times (eg
everyone had to be seated at 7 pm), and all the waiters came round and
described all the dishes in pompous flowery language, like Leonard Sachs
announcing one of the acts on The Good Old Days. I remember a group of us
going there one evening from work, and the atmosphere and over-selling of
the dishes was far better than the quality of the food.

Old April 10th 17, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 10/04/2017 14:07, NY wrote:
"charles" wrote in message

There used to be one in Reading, somewhere near Cemetery Junction. I
bought a Cossor oscilloscope from there in about 1990. I bet it's long
gone.

Stewart of Reading are still going strong, but I doubt of they have much
Gov surplus stuff these days. www.stewart-of-reading.co.uk

That does sound a familiar name, though I wouldn't swear to it. I
*think* it was in one of the residential back streets near Cemetery
Junction (near the VW garage where I bought my first Golf - a garage

I've already said, it was Chiltmead !

--
Mark
Old April 10th 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

All this talk of old gear reminds me that in 1980 I needed some bigass
24VDC psus. They were for a huge TV system (700 dweliings) which had 24V
DC repeaters, line powered, all over the place. The existing psus were
woefully underspeced and were constantly going tits up. I found an
advert in Prac Electronics (I think) and eventually bought five psus.
They were physically huge, open frame, and appeared to be meant for some
sort of racking (but not rack mount as we know it, Jim). They had the
name of a computer firm on them, a three letter name I think. I can't
remember the output capability, but it was more than adequate. They all
survived endless lightning strikes and other insults.

Old April 10th 17, 05:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
All this talk of old gear reminds me that in 1980 I needed some
bigass 24VDC psus. They were for a huge TV system (700 dweliings)
which had 24V DC repeaters, line powered, all over the place. The
existing psus were woefully underspeced and were constantly going
tits up. I found an advert in Prac Electronics (I think) and
eventually bought five psus. They were physically huge, open frame,
and appeared to be meant for some sort of racking (but not rack
mount as we know it, Jim). They had the name of a computer firm on
them, a three letter name I think. I can't remember the output
capability, but it was more than adequate. They all survived endless
lightning strikes and other insults.

Because those were the days when they knew how to make proper PSUs.

I needed a 12V linear PSU for my amateur radio kit that will pull 22A
at full power. When we were taking out a lot of the old analogue
police and fire kit I found a Gound 1000 PSU that is peak rated 1000W
and average 500W at 12V (as ever in reality 13.8V) There must have
been hundreds of them around the country and I never heard of one ever
failing.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 10th 17, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 10/04/2017 16:05, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 15:34:49 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

I've already said, it was Chiltmead !

There's a thread about Chiltmead here.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...om/RPmpiIzGy1A

Did they really get 1million off RBC in a legal action?

The company was in London Street until it was liquidated.
http://company-business.co.uk/search...LTMEAD-LIMITED

It was Orts Road when we visited, 1977/8 ish. As the posts in that link
say it was indeed in a row of condemned buildings, it was remarkable all
the kit didn't cause the whole row of terraces to collapse. Maybe that's
what actually happened !

--
Mark