Philips tuner for a Toshiba HDD & DVD/ Video Cassette Recorder modelRD-XV48DTKB.

Old April 6th 17, 11:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dean Jackson

Default Philips tuner for a Toshiba HDD & DVD/ Video Cassette Recordermodel RD-XV48DTKB.

On 06/04/2017 20:21, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"sintv" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 5 April 2017 20:27:03 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
"Dean Jackson" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a possible source for a Philips tuner for a
Toshiba HDD & DVD/ Video Cassette Recorder model RD-XV48DTKB.
Local repair person says that they are unavailable.

Try Charles Hyde at Pocklington.

--

Charles Hyde has stopped trading

Didn't know about that. Another sad day - end of November last year it
seems.

Is Satcure still trading? - they used to advertise tuner rebuilds for
various STBs, and probably had refurbs for sale.

I wonder where I'm going to get a replacement LOPT for my telly now?

I used to order from HR - usually they were better than the original part.

Whether they still exist is one thing - whether they still bother making
LOPTs is another.

They rapidly took up the baton on CCFL backlight boards - but its a
while since I checked they're still around.

---
http://www.avg.com

Satcure are no more.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/
D.J.
Old April 7th 17, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 06/04/2017 23:58, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 20:21:51 +0100, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

I wonder where I'm going to get a replacement LOPT for my telly now?

I used to order from HR - usually they were better than the original part.

Whether they still exist is one thing - whether they still bother making
LOPTs is another.

I have a CRT computer monitor in my hallway (left there last December
by someone who needed storage for it for "a couple of weeks"), and I
wondered what it would be worth if I tried to sell it on Ebay. When I
looked the other day, all - and I mean *all* - the CRT monitors in the
last few hours of auctions were still showing 99p start prices with
zero bids. CRT tellys were the same. A few years back I actually
managed to sell an old CRT telly, not for very much but someone
actually paid me for it rather than me paying them to take it away.
Not any more. It seems you literally can't give them away now. It
probably still works too.

That's not the criterion these days.

On a rare visit to the local tip (sorry, Local Refuse and Recycling
Centre) last week, I noticed they had a container specifically for TVs
and computer monitors. What they do with them I'm not sure, but what
was noticeable was that all the TVs in there, of which there were a lot,
were all small 'bedroom' CRTs, 14 or 17". It seems we're on to the
second phase. All the big CRTs have been replaced long ago, and now the
smaller ones are.

I have no doubt that the vast majority are in full working order.

Old April 7th 17, 02:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

We have a nice 14" one here - Nicam etc., but its likely destination is the council recycling centre as its picture quality was totally eclipsed by 22" full HD flat screen TV's we bought in 2009. Some older monitors have already gone.
Old April 7th 17, 04:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/04/2017 15:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

We have a nice 14" one here - Nicam etc.,

NICAM ? Gone forever (as far as domestic broadcasts are concerned)

--
Mark
Old April 7th 17, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

wrote:

I wonder where I'm going to get a replacement LOPT for my telly now?

I used to order from HR - usually they were better than the original part.

Whether they still exist is one thing - whether they still bother making
LOPTs is another.

I have a CRT computer monitor in my hallway (left there last December
by someone who needed storage for it for "a couple of weeks"), and I
wondered what it would be worth if I tried to sell it on Ebay. When I
looked the other day, all - and I mean *all* - the CRT monitors in the
last few hours of auctions were still showing 99p start prices with
zero bids. CRT tellys were the same. A few years back I actually
managed to sell an old CRT telly, not for very much but someone
actually paid me for it rather than me paying them to take it away.
Not any more. It seems you literally can't give them away

Its got to the point where I've won a few flat screen monitors for free.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 7th 17, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

wrote:

[...]

Recyclable materials are recovered in accordance with the WEEE directive.

It makes RoHS a bit of a nonsense - lead free solder has multiplied the
amount of scrap in the first place.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 7th 17, 07:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

wrote:

[...]

You really can't give them away; our local favourite charity place hasn't
accepted them for about 2 years.

The scrap man won't take them unless you round up enough aluminium to make
it worth his while.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 8th 17, 09:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 07/04/17 09:27, Norman Wells wrote:
That's not the criterion these days.

On a rare visit to the local tip (sorry, Local Refuse and Recycling
Centre) last week, I noticed they had a container specifically for TVs
and computer monitors. What they do with them I'm not sure, but what
was noticeable was that all the TVs in there, of which there were a lot,
were all small 'bedroom' CRTs, 14 or 17". It seems we're on to the
second phase. All the big CRTs have been replaced long ago, and now the
smaller ones are.

I have no doubt that the vast majority are in full working order.

I saw a programme about a custom built TV recycling centre somewhere
(Bridgenorth? Don't seem to have a website!) complaining about not being
run to capacity, as incoming stuff was still getting shipped out instead
in containers to exploitative gangs in Africa.

I'd say, we are probably well onto the third phase of flat screens.

CFL backlights, plasma screens and non-HD small screens will be piling
up somewhere for deconstruction.

--
Adrian C
Old April 8th 17, 10:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 08/04/2017 10:31, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I'd say, we are probably well onto the third phase of flat screens.

CFL backlights, plasma screens and non-HD small screens will be piling
up somewhere for deconstruction.

Why should non-HD small screens be piling up when you can't tell the
difference on them anyway?

Old April 8th 17, 03:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 08/04/17 11:28, Norman Wells wrote:
On 08/04/2017 10:31, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I'd say, we are probably well onto the third phase of flat screens.

CFL backlights, plasma screens and non-HD small screens will be piling
up somewhere for deconstruction.

^^
Why should non-HD small screens be piling up when you can't tell the
difference on them anyway?

When I lose the ability to include a missing 'and' in my sentences.

--
Adrian C