Smart tvs dumb

Old April 5th 17, 06:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Smart tvs dumb

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 05/04/2017 12:02, Huge wrote:

We've had out Samsung "SMART" TV for nearly a year and I'm finally
learning how to work it. The UI is utterly hateful, there's no manual
(the manual is built into the TV. WTF? And the one I downloaded from the
Samsung web site has no page numbers or index. WTFF???), it crashed all
the time when we first got it (a service call under warranty has fixed
that), the bluetooth connection to the sound bar dropped out all the time
(an HDMI cable fixed that) and the sound bar obscures the infra-red port
for the remote my wife prefers. I loathe the damn thing and wish we'd
never bought it. I shall certainly never buy anything made by Samsung
ever again.

In its defence, the picture quality is superb.

I bought a Samsung PVR.

Its menu system was nowhere near intuitive.
Its Series Record feature lost track of the series before it got to the
end of it, meaning that I had to check before every episode that it had
identified it.

that might not be the PVR

my PVR works perfectly for links with the exception of one specific program
which it never picks up week after week

This must be something to do with the way the broadcaster have set up that
particular program

tim

Old April 5th 17, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 12:41:01 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

The current Humax PVR doesn't seem to recognise when a series has
finished.
Maybe the old model didn't either.

What do you mean by "doesn't recognise that the series hasn't finished"?

that it keeps recording the same timeslot week after week

or

keeps the section in its pending record list (this is as it should be so
that it will pick up the first program of the next series, there is no
mechanism to flag the end of a one-time-only series).

If you record a lot, it's a pain to find
recorded programs especially as it treats the words New The and A as
significant
words, when it sorts alphabetically.

Yep treating (New)XXX as different from XXX is a PITA, but I can't see
what's wrong with sorting on The and A, it's not like you are going to have
the same program name without the article prefix in the list

tim

Old April 5th 17, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On 5 Apr 2017 11:52:33 GMT, Huge wrote:

[17 lines snipped]

In Ghod's name, don't replace it with a Panasonic.

Damn, I can't find the review on Amazon of the Panasonic PVR we foolishly
bought. Amazon have redesigned their account pages and "My Reviews" seems
to have disappeared. Ahh, here we go;

This piece of junk is essentially unusable. Not because of the user
interface, which appears to have been designed by the blind man's dog
on an off day, but because when it is recording you cannot;

(i) Add any more programmes to be recorded. Pressing "Guide" when it's
already recording something just pops up a windows saying "Cannot be done
while recording" or somesuch. That means if you've started a recording
and you spot something on later you'd like to record, you can't.

(ii) Delete any already recorded programmes. Same pop-up.

You must have bought a really old one. I've had several Panasonic PVRs
and the most recent one can do all these things and more, including
editing a previous recording while simultaneously recording another
two.

IIRC that's something my first hummy couldn't do (can't say that I lost too
much sleep over it TBH)

they solved this issue in my second hummy by taking away the "edit program"
feature.

tim

Old April 5th 17, 06:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 14:48:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

As a matter of interest; does the panasonic have a talking menus feature.

None of my Panasonic PVRs have had anything like this, though my most
recent one is a few years old, so it's possible that there exists a
more recent one that has it.

Every new model seems to have new things that the previous one didn't,
such as HD, two tuners, internet access (crap, but it's there), and
the ability to edit previous recordings and program future ones while
recording. Who knows what the next model after mine will have?

I wish Hummy added features

all they do is take them away (there are more examples than the one that i
gave earlier)

tim

Old April 5th 17, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 5 April 2017 12:41:01 UTC+1, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 05/04/2017 12:02, Huge wrote:

[...]

The RF loop-through wasn't amplified, so I had to insert another box
with proper amplification immediately after it to get a decent
unpixillated TV picture on all channels.

I eventually took it off the aerial and replaced it with a Humax box.
I will gradually play back what has already been recorded on it, then
get rid of it. Like you, I will never buy Samsung again.

In its defence, it could tune in and record the HD channels.

Jim

A friend has a top end Samsung smart TV - that is fairly reasonable.

We bought a Samsung UE22H5610 for the kitchen. You can surf a bit, but it is not very smart. The wi-fi is weak. It can't handle a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, a Bluetooth dongle, a keyboard with a USB port for the mouse (counts as a hub :-( ) so both USB ports are needed for anything more than the most basic surfing using the remote. It can't display PDF's (in particular recipes - e.g. from the BBC web site).

So buy a TV and plug in an Android dongle.

Old April 6th 17, 07:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 05/04/17 13:14, Roderick Stewart wrote:
[...]

two. Admittedly they have improved the software over the years (who
doesn't?), and the older ones did have the limitations you describe,
but I find my present main PVR to be very user-friendly. It's a
DMR-HW120 if you're interested.
[...]

I've got a DMR-HWT130. Overall, I am pleased with it as it is reliable.
Yes, like all makes, it has things it can and can't do. I used to like
the "Goto hour/minute" available on my 9200T. The Panasonic can only
jump in 10 minute chunks, and those by repeat pressing of one button.
It's better than nothing, but it takes time if you are looking for
something near the end of a 2-hour recording. My main gripe is the use
of an apparent sub-MHz CPU to run everything. It seems to take an age to
respond to the remote when navigating through menus.

Don't buy this. It will drive you crazy.

It was the Humax PVR I had before any of the Panasonic ones that drove
me crazy. If I powered down from the remote while it was recording
something, it didn't just go to standby but killed everything
including the recording. The Panasonic makes it difficult to interrupt
a recording already in progress, but will allow you to do anything
else that doesn't require the use of the tuner(s).

Yes, definitely a plus point. I've "fat-fingered" the stop or power
buttons before now, only to get an "are you sure" pop-up, for which I am
very grateful!

[Added a couple of weeks later] It gets worse. It doesn't remember
where you've got up when you watch part of a recording (again, unlike
my previous Sony). That means you have to fiddle about finding your
place in any recording you got part-way through.[...]

Once again, this is something my Panasonic definitely does do, so if
yours doesn't, I can only guess that it's really old stock.

Yes, the option is to restart from where playback stopped, or play from
start with the HWT130.

--

Jeff
Old April 6th 17, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 08:40:38 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

[re Panasonic PVRs]
My main gripe is the use
of an apparent sub-MHz CPU to run everything. It seems to take an age to
respond to the remote when navigating through menus.

I've noticed this too, and also a difference in response time between
my current PVR and an older one (kept as an occasional spare because
it didn't seem worth the bother of selling it). I have to remember
which one I'm using and keep my finger on the button a bit longer when
I'm using the older PVR, otherwise it doesn't respond.

I'm more conscious of this than usual if I've just been using the
Amazon Fire box, as the remote for that is quite different. Its
buttons have a discernible mechanical click, and seem to be edge
triggered rather than level triggered, so that as long as the click
action has occurred it doesn't matter how briefly I subsequently keep
my finger on a button, the action will always be performed. Also, it
works by Bluetooth not infrared, so it doesn't need to be pointed at
the device (or even to be in the same room), which I sometimes forget
when going back to the Panasonic.

As with anything electronic these days, I expect that if I need to
replace it, a newer model will be faster.

Old April 6th 17, 07:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/04/2017 13:33, Huge wrote:

Nope. Like I said, never buying anything made by Panasonic ever
again.

That's just stubborn.

Old April 7th 17, 02:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 5 April 2017 19:05:53 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You know this term of smart tv does seem to be a strange one. In most
cases they are not smart, indeed many are almost impossible to work by
ordinary people who do not have a 7 year old child around.
I was talking to a friend of mine who reckoned her cheapo Sainsburies tv
basic freeview with hd tv, was far easier to use than the Samsung one she
used to have, as she never could figure out the so called smart stuff.
I do wonder thinking about this, if we are not building thigs to inflate
the egos of the designers. Its a bit like the kings new clothes. Its cool
to have all the extra stuff but how many people actually use them?

My TV's got a full web browser

but it' impractical to use with the remote control

I can plug in a mouse and keyboard, but with me sitting on my sofa and the
TV across the room, what's the point?

tim

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse? Got both here, and even bought a flexible one from Lidl / Aldi.
Old April 7th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

I use a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse with my Samsung TV. It helps
enormously with the web browser. Clicking on "keys" on the onscreen
"keyboard" is not as quick as using an actual keyboard, but it is much,
much, faster than using the remote.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)