crap tv generally

Old April 3rd 17, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default crap tv generally

On 2017-04-02, Vir Campestris wrote:

Less than 10 million people watch the cup final. Which means that 5
people out of 6 really couldn't give a damn about football. So why does
it get so much prominence in the media?

*applause*

The media cover everything, including things you or I have no interest
in. If something has 10 million people interested in it, it's major
whatever it is.

Can you name half a dozen other things which more than 10 million would
be interested enough to watch?

Old April 3rd 17, 11:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Old April 3rd 17, 12:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 2017-04-02, Vir Campestris wrote:

Less than 10 million people watch the cup final. Which means that 5
people out of 6 really couldn't give a damn about football. So why does
it get so much prominence in the media?

*applause*

The media cover everything, including things you or I have no interest
in. If something has 10 million people interested in it, it's major
whatever it is.

Can you name half a dozen other things which more than 10 million would
be interested enough to watch?

It isn't the coverage that's irritating, it's the prominence.

And how do you decide prominence if not by the number of people who are
interested?

Old April 3rd 17, 12:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 2017-04-02, Vir Campestris wrote:

Less than 10 million people watch the cup final. Which means that 5
people out of 6 really couldn't give a damn about football. So why does
it get so much prominence in the media?

*applause*

The media cover everything, including things you or I have no interest
in. If something has 10 million people interested in it, it's major
whatever it is.

Can you name half a dozen other things which more than 10 million
would be interested enough to watch?

cake baking FFS

Is one 'half a dozen'?

Old April 3rd 17, 02:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 02/04/17 21:24, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 02/04/2017 10:09, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2017 09:15, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 07:40:06 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
In article , says...

I have never understood the popularity of Zombies and the undead.

I have never understood the popularity of watching sport, especially
football.

You and my wife would get on very well.....

and me too.

+1

Less than 10 million people watch the cup final. Which means that 5
people out of 6 really couldn't give a damn about football. So why does
it get so much prominence in the media?

And the rest of the country suffers the knock on effect of paying
footballers high transfer fees in...

High cost tv advertising that only the globalised big brands can afford,
hence squeezing out the smaller completion,
leading to higher shop prices,
and less choice ....

& higher BT phone bills,
football subsidy borne by anyone that uses a BT service...

& higher ground entry fees to actually go and watch the matches, now
a treat for the well-heeled.

Problem is the greed genie is truly out of the bottle, and very hard to
put back in again.

Whenever I see a mad overseas African running about in a Manchester
United football shirt, I do wonder if they really want their eventual
economy to be really f'd up like ours.

--
Adrian C
Old April 3rd 17, 06:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 03/04/2017 09:46, Martin wrote:

Less than 10 million people watch the cup final. Which means that 5
people out of 6 really couldn't give a damn about football. So why does
it get so much prominence in the media?

and that brings us to the Boat Race and Tour de Yorkshire

The number of viewers is one factor. Another is how much those viewers
enjoy or value to programme.