Long gaps short range

Old March 30th 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Long gaps short range

I noticed the other night during coverage of the Westminster bridge silent
vigil that there seemed to be almost as much delay in the interview with the
reporter as you might expect if it was going on in the usa. I find it really
annoyin when you get these delays, and the thing is we never used to have
it, so what is going on here? is the delay in the digital processing or
what?

Old March 30th 17, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 30/03/2017 08:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I noticed the other night during coverage of the Westminster bridge silent
vigil that there seemed to be almost as much delay in the interview with the
reporter as you might expect if it was going on in the usa. I find it really
annoyin when you get these delays, and the thing is we never used to have
it, so what is going on here? is the delay in the digital processing or
what?

It's still a 44,000 mile round trip if a satellite link is being used,
and (more significantly) all the codec delays in both directions. Much
of last week's coverage of the Westminster incident was via 4G bonded
connections, saves mucking about with dishes, and often is the only way
to get pictures out from 'urban canyon' streets. There's loads of
latency with 4G style connections.

--
Mark
Old March 30th 17, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
dave

On 30/03/17 08:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I noticed the other night during coverage of the Westminster bridge silent
vigil that there seemed to be almost as much delay in the interview with the
reporter as you might expect if it was going on in the usa. I find it really
annoyin when you get these delays, and the thing is we never used to have
it, so what is going on here? is the delay in the digital processing or
what?
Brian

I'm surprised that the broadcasters haven't got round this, at least for
simple reports-to-camera. If there is a two-second delay on the
satellite link, and they're using the same link for talkback, they could
cue the OB reporter four seconds before the studio announcer ends his
introduction for a seamless handover. That wouldn't work for interviews
of course but even then the reporter could 'crash' the question with his
answer to reduce the delay a bit.
--
Dave
Old March 30th 17, 12:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Could but does not.
Does seem a bit extreme.
Incidentally how much delay can one expect if one uses blue tooth speakers
for surround on a telly? Won't bother me cos cannot see the pic, but people
tell me the lip sync can drift out.

news

Old March 30th 17, 01:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:08:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Incidentally how much delay can one expect if one uses blue tooth speakers
for surround on a telly? Won't bother me cos cannot see the pic, but people
tell me the lip sync can drift out.

I don't know about Bluetooth speakers, but sound out of sync with
video seems pretty common with any digital source. I have an Amazon
box connected to a TV display by HDMI cables that go via an HDMI to
phono audio adaptor (because the Amazon box doesn't have a separate
audio output) and I find that the discrepancy between sound and video
varies according to what I'm watching, even though it's from the same
box. BBC iPlayer and Youtube seem about right, but Amazon's own shows
and some, but not all, movies have the sound ahead of the picture. A
setting of about 250ms or 300ms on an audio delay unit usually
corrects this, and I use the "tape monitoring" switch (remember
those?) on the hi-fi amplifier to switch it in and out of circuit as
necessary, the delay being connected as if it were a tape recorder.
This arrangement works for me, but I don't think it should be
necessary at all.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old March 30th 17, 03:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No its crying out for either some automated standard system, or perhaps a
knob we can turn.
It all started around the gulf war time when I still had some sight. An
interview with a member of Saddams Government was sometimes just enough out
to make it looked dubbed rather than real, but sometimes it was fine.
Now of course I'd never know, Instead we now have adio decription drift one
way or the other so events already happend get described , whereas the
standard is to mostly pre empt them unless the surprise is part of the
effect being attempted. This is why AD is a very hard thing to do, but if
they cannot set it in sync it makes all the efforts of the ad person a waste
of time.

Also with old series, how is it that things like Murder she wrote gets ad
but the Avengers do not?

Old March 30th 17, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

My Panny TV apparently can adjust sound delay, but only for Ireland! In
the "sound" settings this appears in the manual:

SPDIF Delay
Adjusts the delay time of the sound output from DIGITAL AUDIO and HDMI2
(ARC function) terminals if the sound does not synchronise the image.

‚óŹ For digital (Ireland only)

Why is it limited to Ireland only? I assume they use a different system,
but how does it differ from the UK one? Of course, being in the UK, this
setting does not appear on my TV.

--

Jeff