serving the public

Old March 18th 17, 03:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default serving the public

For many years I've used a particular butcher. I must have spent
thousands in that shop. I believe in building up a relationship.
Yesterday I asked for something I often buy: beef dripping (it makes
fantastic roasties).
"Don't keep it any more."
"Why?"
"Not many people wanted it." He shrugged and turned away.
I was going to say, "Well I buy it," or something like that, but then I
thought, "Why should I bother?"
It wasn't the lack of beef dripping that did it. It was the dismissive
attitude and the shrug.
Those of us who live by serving the public would do well to remember
that if a good customer wants something that we don't have, it might be
wise to research it with a view to getting him some. If it really is
impossible, it would be good to show some sign of apology and offer an
explanation.
There are two other butchers in the area, just as good, and one of them
is closer to home. So that's where I'll be spending my fifty quids in
future.

Old March 18th 17, 08:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
For many years I've used a particular butcher. I must have spent thousands
in that shop. I believe in building up a relationship. Yesterday I asked
for something I often buy: beef dripping (it makes fantastic roasties).

Apparently the latest trendy thing is goose fat - jars of it are common in
various stores.

Is there such thing as beef faggots? - they contain plenty of fat and
wouldn't take long to slice and fry down.

Old March 18th 17, 09:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 21:55:19 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

For many years I've used a particular butcher. I must have spent thousands
in that shop. I believe in building up a relationship. Yesterday I asked
for something I often buy: beef dripping (it makes fantastic roasties).

Apparently the latest trendy thing is goose fat - jars of it are common in
various stores.

Hardly the latest thing. I've been using it on bread and toast for
many years instead of olive-oil-based spreads, the taste of which I
strongly dislike. Goose fat often tastes a bit like dripping and is
full of unsaturates; not quite as good as olive oil, but a lot better
than butter or dripping. The softer it is in the jar, the more
unsaturated fat/oil it contains. Tesco's Finest is very good. Spreads
straight from the fridge. In fact if you don't keep it in the fridge
it goes quite runny.

Try Mascarpone cheese (Sainsbury's is best) instead of butter, on
fresh brown bread, with jam. I've no idea if it's good for me, but it
tastes so nice it probably isn't. And I don't care.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old March 18th 17, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 18/03/2017 16:26, Bill Wright wrote:
For many years I've used a particular butcher. I must have spent
thousands in that shop. I believe in building up a relationship.
Yesterday I asked for something I often buy: beef dripping (it makes
fantastic roasties).
"Don't keep it any more."
"Why?"
"Not many people wanted it." He shrugged and turned away.

Is butcher's dripping any better than the stuff you can buy at
supermarkets, e.g. "Britannia" brand? That's too bland for me. I used to
like home made beef dripping, in a pudding basin, with jelly underneath.
A rare treat on bread or toast in a middle class home.

--
Max Demian
Old March 19th 17, 02:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 18/03/2017 23:04, Max Demian wrote:
On 18/03/2017 16:26, Bill Wright wrote:
For many years I've used a particular butcher. I must have spent
thousands in that shop. I believe in building up a relationship.
Yesterday I asked for something I often buy: beef dripping (it makes
fantastic roasties).
"Don't keep it any more."
"Why?"
"Not many people wanted it." He shrugged and turned away.

Is butcher's dripping any better than the stuff you can buy at
supermarkets, e.g. "Britannia" brand?

It seems to be.

That's too bland for me. I used to
like home made beef dripping, in a pudding basin, with jelly underneath.
A rare treat on bread or toast in a middle class home.

Pork dripping is better for that purpose in my opinion.

Old March 19th 17, 07:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

[...]

And of course we all had Marmite on it as well?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 19th 17, 09:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 18/03/2017 16:26, Bill Wright wrote:
For many years I've used a particular butcher. I must have spent
thousands in that shop. I believe in building up a relationship.
Yesterday I asked for something I often buy: beef dripping (it makes
fantastic roasties).
"Don't keep it any more."
"Why?"
"Not many people wanted it." He shrugged and turned away.

Is butcher's dripping any better than the stuff you can buy at
supermarkets, e.g. "Britannia" brand? That's too bland for me. I used
to like home made beef dripping, in a pudding basin, with jelly
underneath. A rare treat on bread or toast in a middle class home.

And in our very much working-class home too.
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses
Old March 19th 17, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I suspect that a lot of these decisions are now being made due to the
massive hike in business rates on shops, making margins very close. This is
how to kill the high street.
I agree though that he could have been more forthcoming on the real issues,
as nobody turns away a valued customer unless they are a pest, and I cannot
imagine yourself every being seen this way.....

Old March 19th 17, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Or there is that awful product with the stupid name:
I cannot believe its not beef dripping.
I can its as bad as its sister product:
I cannot believe its not real butter.

tastes of plastic and seems to be made of sticky water.

Old March 19th 17, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Or there is that awful product with the stupid name:
I cannot believe its not beef dripping.
I can its as bad as its sister product:
I cannot believe its not real butter.

tastes of plastic and seems to be made of sticky water.
Brian

"I Can't Believe It's Not Plastic"? Somehow I can't see honesty in
advertising stretching that far.