serving the public

Old March 20th 17, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default serving the public

In message , Huge
writes
On 2017-03-20, Norman Wells wrote:
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else.

Or just avoid it like the plague. That's the best way.

No it isn't. Stinky cheese is one of life's great pleasures. And camembert
isn't particularly smelly.

I remember a friend of mine once cooking a steak and kidney pudding for
our lunch in a dish that he had previously used for cooking mackerel.
Steak and kidney pudding with a lingering taste of mackerel is not
particularly pleasant.

Odd because steak and oyster pie is considered high English cuisine: -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_and_oyster_pie
Old March 20th 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 20/03/2017 11:40, Alan White wrote:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 08:15:30 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else. There's a type that's
made of slightly thicker plastic where the lid is held on with folding
plastic flaps that clip onto the sides,...

See:-
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

They're really useful.

One thing I can't find is a Tupperware or Click Lock style plastic box
the right size to keep rashers of bacon in. Say 9" x 3" x 1.5" or 23cm x
8cm x 4cm.

--
Max Demian
Old March 20th 17, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else. There's a type that's
made of slightly thicker plastic where the lid is held on with folding
plastic flaps that clip onto the sides,...

See:-
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

They're really useful.

Those are indeed really useful, but I think Roderick was referring to
this style of box, the Addis Clip & Close:
http://www.addis.co.uk/kitchen-and-f...lip-close.html

Sainsbury's started selling Addis Clip & Close containers. They then
changed to "Klip Lock". The lids and bodies are fully interchangeable
with those of Addis Clip & Close:
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/w...egoryFacetId1=
or
http://tinyurl.com/lqe6tb4

They are also useful for storing non-kitchen bits and pieces for which
Really Useful Boxes are too big.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 20th 17, 12:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else. There's a type that's
made of slightly thicker plastic where the lid is held on with folding
plastic flaps that clip onto the sides,...

See:-
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

They're really useful.

One thing I can't find is a Tupperware or Click Lock style plastic box
the right size to keep rashers of bacon in. Say 9" x 3" x 1.5" or 23cm x
8cm x 4cm.

There is this one from Lakeland:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/2355/1-lit...Lock-Bacon-Box

1 litre Lock & Lock Bacon Box

27 x 10 x 6cm H. (10" x 4" x 2")

Those are presumably the external dimensions. Internally it would be
approx. 25 x 8 x 6cm

There is a diffferent make available on Amazon but the specfication
doesn't include the dimensions.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 20th 17, 12:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

One thing I can't find is a Tupperware or Click Lock style plastic box
the right size to keep rashers of bacon in. Say 9" x 3" x 1.5" or 23cm x
8cm x 4cm.

There is this one from Lakeland:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/2355/1-lit...Lock-Bacon-Box

1 litre Lock & Lock Bacon Box

27 x 10 x 6cm H. (10" x 4" x 2")

Those are presumably the external dimensions. Internally it would be
approx. 25 x 8 x 6cm

Thank you. I don't have a Lakeland near me, and it does look a _leedle_
bit big - I bought a bacon/fish box a while ago, which is 10" x 4" x 3"
- I think it was from a pound shop - and it looks a *lot* bigger than
the plastic boxes bacon is sold in (and that can't be resealed).

--
Max Demian
Old March 20th 17, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:50:48 +0000, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else. There's a type that's
made of slightly thicker plastic where the lid is held on with folding
plastic flaps that clip onto the sides,...

See:-
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

They're really useful.

Those are indeed really useful, but I think Roderick was referring to
this style of box, the Addis Clip & Close:
http://www.addis.co.uk/kitchen-and-f...lip-close.html

Yep, that's the kind of thing. I think I got mine from Asda, but
similar to that.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old March 20th 17, 07:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

On 2017-03-20, Norman Wells wrote:
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else.

Or just avoid it like the plague. That's the best way.

No it isn't. Stinky cheese is one of life's great pleasures. And camembert
isn't particularly smelly.

Its smelly enough to make me think it had a strong flavour - big
disappointment.

Old March 20th 17, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

In message , Huge
writes
On 2017-03-20, Norman Wells wrote:
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else.

Or just avoid it like the plague. That's the best way.

No it isn't. Stinky cheese is one of life's great pleasures. And camembert
isn't particularly smelly.

I remember a friend of mine once cooking a steak and kidney pudding for
our lunch in a dish that he had previously used for cooking mackerel.
Steak and kidney pudding with a lingering taste of mackerel is not
particularly pleasant.

What are kippers before they're smoked?

Old March 20th 17, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

o.uk...
wrote:

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else. There's a type that's
made of slightly thicker plastic where the lid is held on with folding
plastic flaps that clip onto the sides,...

See:-
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

They're really useful.

One thing I can't find is a Tupperware or Click Lock style plastic box the
right size to keep rashers of bacon in. Say 9" x 3" x 1.5" or 23cm x 8cm x
4cm.

land have click lock tubs - but the tabs only stay put with a rubber band
round them.

Old March 20th 17, 07:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

wrote:

For smelly cheeses you need to get one of those Tupperware-style boxes
with a sealed lid and use it for nothing else. There's a type that's
made of slightly thicker plastic where the lid is held on with folding
plastic flaps that clip onto the sides,...

See:-
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

I once bought some stinky cheese in France (can't recall what) and despite
being wrapped in cling-film, in a poly bag, in a plastic box in the frig,
it still smelled in the hall ...

I never bought any more.

Apparently the French have banned carrying certain cheeses on public
transport.

Also; some French cheeses are based on penicillin mould - which makes French
women that little bit less risky.