Please recommend a DTT PVR

Old March 14th 17, 07:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Please recommend a DTT PVR

On 14/03/2017 18:02, fred wrote:

We're all ageing. Your mum is probably aged.

Bill

Thanks for your really helpful response.

No problem. I know I go out of my way to help but it's just my nature.
I'm rather lovely.

BTW, please give us some more of those wonderful stories about your
grandkids or the mrs. We all "love" them.

It's wonderful to be appreciated.

Bill

xxx

Old March 14th 17, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 15:51:26 +0000 (GMT), charles

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:41:58 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:44:43 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 14/03/2017 13:02, fred wrote:
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ £130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

We're all ageing. Your mum is probably aged.

Bill

Aged is such an odd and unnecessary word. It's a euphemism for
decrepit. There are quite a few others, elderly, senior citizens,
pensioners, concessions, veterans, (x)generians.
Must be loads more.

Oi! I object! I am elderly, a senior citizen, a pensioner, a
septuagenarian and might be described as aged, but I'm far from
decrepit! :-)

and we feel insulted by the pictogram road sign

One of the first of those "Elderly People" signs was erected just up
the road from here, about 30 or more years ago.

Radio Manchester decided to do a piece on it, and the radio car was
dispatched, and residents of the nearby care home were assembled near
the sign for interviews.

I was listening in my car as it all broke down into farce as the
elderly people started arguing amongst themselves.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3085621/
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 14th 17, 10:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Chris Hogg wrote:

Oi! I object! I am elderly, a senior citizen, a pensioner, a
septuagenarian and might be described as aged, but I'm far from
decrepit! :-)

and we feel insulted by the pictogram road sign

One of the first of those "Elderly People" signs was erected just up
the road from here, about 30 or more years ago.

Radio Manchester decided to do a piece on it, and the radio car was
dispatched, and residents of the nearby care home were assembled near
the sign for interviews.

I was listening in my car as it all broke down into farce as the
elderly people started arguing amongst themselves.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3085621/

So they want to warn of old people, without depicting any characteristic
of old people? What's the point?

I suppose the slippery road sign should be banned as it insults cars
with anti-lock brakes.

--
Max Demian
Old March 15th 17, 06:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

wrote:

My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ £130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

We're all ageing. Your mum is probably aged.

Bill

Aged is such an odd and unnecessary word. It's a euphemism for
decrepit. There are quite a few others, elderly, senior citizens,
pensioners, concessions, veterans, (x)generians.
Must be loads more.

Oi! I object! I am elderly, a senior citizen, a pensioner, a
septuagenarian and might be described as aged, but I'm far from
decrepit! :-)

and we feel insulted by the pictogram road sign

I feel insulted by those books about technical subjects with titles
like "Computing for Seniors", as if once you get to be old you can no
longer understand things. As long as you're lucky enough not to lose
youe marbles to a specific medical condition, old age itself need be
no barrier to learning new things, and in fact wisdom and experience
can even be a help.

Another irritant is those people who regularly suggest that old people
shouldn't be allowed to drive, or who assume on the basis of no
evidence that a particular incident must be the result of somebody
being old and therefore stupid. I can't help wondering how many of
them are in the twentysomething male demographic, and if they're aware
of the statistics applicable to themselves.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old March 15th 17, 07:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 15/03/2017 07:32, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Another irritant is those people who regularly suggest that old people
shouldn't be allowed to drive, or who assume on the basis of no
evidence that a particular incident must be the result of somebody
being old and therefore stupid. I can't help wondering how many of
them are in the twentysomething male demographic, and if they're aware
of the statistics applicable to themselves.

You do get some elderly drivers who create mayhem in a car park by
engaging the wrong gear in an automatic and wreck a few parked cars.
Generally they are shaken up but walk away.

Idiot twentysomethings tend to park their car into a tree and leave the
scene in an ambulance or a hearse.

That said, there are plenty of fully competent drivers in both age
groups. The main difference between them is that the elderly adjust
their speed by reading the road, and the youngsters tend to believe the
speed limit is a safe speed.

Old March 15th 17, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/03/2017 13:27, pamela wrote:

Although I'm not too sure what that has to so with Bill making a
useful distinction between two similar sounding words which I
hadn't considered before.

Such is the serendipitous nature of Usenet.

Here's a memory of being eleven.

It was in Mr Leary’s First Form English class that I saw human sperm for
the first time. I sat in the second row from the back next to a boy
called Johnny Smithson. Johnny had arrived at the school from I know not
where; certainly he hadn’t come from any of the junior schools that sent
children to Benton High Street School. He told us only that he’d had a
lot of different mams and dads. He was quite shy but could also be a
dreadfully sadistic bully when the mood took him. I think that someone
had at some point guessed at the orphan’s date of birth and had been
wide of the mark, because Johnny was physically well ahead of any other
boy in the First Year. He was far bigger and stronger than any of the
rest of us. He was also hairier, and his voice was deeper. Clearly he
had passed puberty, uniquely amongst the First Year boys. I’d guess that
he was fourteen at least. Academically he was in the right class,
because he was undistinguished in either direction. This was Form 1A,
the top stream, but of course we were all 11+ failures.

In the first and second years the school was single sex, only
amalgamating with the girls when my cohort started the Third Year. Just
as well, because one warm and dozy afternoon in Mr Leary’s English class
I became aware that Johnny was fiddling with something under the desk. I
glanced at him and he grinned, then pushed his chair back slightly and
indicated that I should look down. I was surprised to see that his fly
was open and a penis — which seemed to pre-pubescent me to be of
gigantic proportions —was on show. Johnny toyed fondly with his pet
monster for a little while then ejaculated into his hand. By this time
the boy on his other side was watching, as fascinated as me. Johnny
opened his hand, the palm dripping with sperm, and showed it round to
general astonishment and admiration. The sperm, as I remember it, was
thicker and creamier and much greater in quantity than that with which I
was to become familiar in later years. I suppose the memory plays
tricks. Having shown everyone his gelatinous trophy Johnny wiped his
hand clean with his hankie.

At the front of the room Mr Leary continued to write on the board,
blissfully unaware of the depravity taking place behind him, and perhaps
wondering why the boys were so quiet. We went back to copying his
examples of ambiguous sentences. “Next time,” said the young teacher
enthusiastically, “I want you all to write some ambiguous sentences of
your own, so put your thinking caps on!”

“Yes sir!” we chorused dutifully. At hometime, as we collected our PE
kits from the cloakroom, Johnny pushed the noses of various smaller boys
into his handkerchief, shouting, “Smell my spunk!”

Near the end of the First Year the school held an open day. The head, Mr
Richardson, was known for being ‘innovative’ so parents were allowed to
go into any classroom they chose during the day and observe. In the
evening a conventional ‘meet the teachers’ event took place.

Naturally, Mr Willox, the terrifying deputy head, gave out a dire
warning at morning assembly. Bad behaviour of any kind when parents were
present would result in severe punishment. Of course this was like a red
rag to a bull. We had English with Mr Leary that afternoon, so Johnny
was persuaded that it would increase his standing in the community if he
produced sperm while a parent was in the room. As it happened no parents
appeared until ten minutes from the end of the lesson, when Mr and Mrs
Wilson appeared. Now there’s much to say about this couple, who lived on
the next street to me, but for now I’ll just say that they were slightly
eccentric. It was just like them to burst in just before the lesson
ended; to move about between the rows of boys, passing comments in stage
whispers, and to be generally disruptive. Mr Leary gave then a glassy
smile as they entered then tried to ignore them. Somehow Smithson
managed to masturbate, ejaculate, and produce the evidence, without
either of the Wilsons or Mr Leary being aware.

Old March 15th 17, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"fred" wrote in message
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) -
DTT only.
Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ £130.
Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount.
Thanks.

Of my several PVRs; the Digifusion is my favourite. Mostly I like the EPG
layout with PIP best of all.

The Humax is slower to respond than M$ Windows - well not quite long enough
to go make a cuppa, but you get the idea...........

The Thompson was rescued from the bins at the flats, it had destructive
capacitor failure, another from Freegle allowed me to make 1 good one out of
the 2. I really don't like the EPG and setup menus on that one.

One of the rectifiers in the PSU isn't man enough for the job - I shoehorned
a higher spec device in, but its too early to tell if it lasts any longer.

Old March 16th 17, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/03/2017 20:06, pamela wrote:

Are you sure this isn't an erotic fantasy? A nicely written
fantasy but perhaps heavier on fantasy than fact.

No, it is absolutely true, except that I changed the names of the boy
concerned and the visitors. I lifted it from my account of life at that
school, which I'm working on at the moment. There were other incidents
of indecent exposure. In particular I remember one that arose in morning
assembly as the result of a dare (culprit apprehended and caned) and one
that happened in the woodwork room (not apprehended). It was a single
sex school at that point and there were no female teachers. I don't
think anything like that happened after we were merged with the girls'
school next door.