LLanddona Transmitter BBC Four?

Old March 10th 17, 12:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

Default LLanddona Transmitter BBC Four?

Will the LLanddona transmitter ever be upgraded to transmit BBC Four HD.
There is just CBBC HD.

--
Michael Chare

---

Old March 10th 17, 03:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:43:13 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

Will the LLanddona transmitter ever be upgraded to transmit BBC Four HD.
There is just CBBC HD.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

BBC Four HD is currently on Com 7, so unless Llanddonna is going to
get Com 7, or BBC Four HD is moved to BBC B, no.
Old March 10th 17, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

wrote:

Will the LLanddona transmitter ever be upgraded to transmit BBC Four HD.
There is just CBBC HD.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

BBC Four HD is currently on Com 7, so unless Llanddonna is going to
get Com 7, or BBC Four HD is moved to BBC B, no.

Who does one complain to?

--
Michael Chare

---

Old March 10th 17, 05:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote:

Will the LLanddona transmitter ever be upgraded to transmit BBC Four HD.
There is just CBBC HD.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

BBC Four HD is currently on Com 7, so unless Llanddonna is going to
get Com 7, or BBC Four HD is moved to BBC B, no.

I'm not sure why BBC Four can't move to the standard PSB3 mux and something
move from there to COM7. I suppose the "something" is willing to pay more
money for greater coverage than BBC Four is willing to pay. I suppose they
think that children deserve HD more than boring old farts like us :-)

Old March 10th 17, 05:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

news
wrote:

Will the LLanddona transmitter ever be upgraded to transmit BBC
Four HD.
There is just CBBC HD.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

BBC Four HD is currently on Com 7, so unless Llanddonna is going to
get Com 7, or BBC Four HD is moved to BBC B, no.

Who does one complain to?

--

Com7 and Com8 use two pairs of channels, 32 & 34 as at Moel-y-Parc and
31 and 37 as at Winter Hill. My guess is that you ain't got them

Plus the main channels of Llandonna sit in the 700MHz band so you are
in for a major frequency shift soon which may make it even more
difficult. Have they built the temporary secondary mast at Llandonna
yet?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 10th 17, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

Will the LLanddona transmitter ever be upgraded to transmit BBC Four HD.
There is just CBBC HD.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

BBC Four HD is currently on Com 7, so unless Llanddonna is going to
get Com 7, or BBC Four HD is moved to BBC B, no.

Who does one complain to?

You and all the other Freeview Light viewers then.

Have you considered Freesat?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 10th 17, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

wrote:

Will the LLanddona transmitter ever be upgraded to transmit BBC Four HD.
There is just CBBC HD.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

BBC Four HD is currently on Com 7, so unless Llanddonna is going to
get Com 7, or BBC Four HD is moved to BBC B, no.

There's no guarantee COM 7 and 8 will survive the great 700 MHz sell
off. Ironically if they do, the proposal is to move them to a parking
position nationally of Ch 55 and 56 (which will remain available for
broadcasting until 2022) If not, they will be gone before 2020 in all
areas. They were only ever temporary muxes anyway.

However, next step is to ditch SD/HD simulcasting on DTT, in which case
eventually BBC 4 HD should be available to all.

However, life is too short, as suggested, get Freesat

--
Mark
Old March 10th 17, 05:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 10/03/2017 18:20, Woody wrote:

Plus the main channels of Llandonna sit in the 700MHz band so you are
in for a major frequency shift soon which may make it even more
difficult. Have they built the temporary secondary mast at Llandonna
yet?

No need, the new Wideband UHF stack was fitted last summer, (it was
using the original 1960s stack post DSO 1 and until then)

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=763

Mendip was done last month, using a chopper.

I think it's only Emley, and Pontop that will require a temp mast ?

--
Mark
Old March 10th 17, 05:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
However, next step is to ditch SD/HD simulcasting on DTT, in which case
eventually BBC 4 HD should be available to all.

You mean only the HD versions will be available? That will **** off everyone
who has equipment that only has a DVB-T (rather than DVB-T2) tuner. TVs are
OK: at a pinch you can buy a set top box to replace the builtin tuner. But
PVRs are a different matter: if you want to make unattended recordings on
various different channels you need a new PVR.

H264 is a wonderfully compact compression algorithm (ie better quality
versus bitrate) but it is a pig for software to decode: my PC can display
MPEG fine and can scrub through at high speed to find a given place in the
programme, but it takes ages to resync with H264 if you move to another part
of the programme. That's using VLC, VideoRedo or any other software, even
with less-than-SD (544x576). Indeed it seems to take about the same length
of time to resync for 544x576 as for 1920x1080 Full HD.

Old March 10th 17, 05:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

wrote:

Will the LLanddona transmitter ever be upgraded to transmit BBC Four HD.
There is just CBBC HD.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

BBC Four HD is currently on Com 7, so unless Llanddonna is going to
get Com 7, or BBC Four HD is moved to BBC B, no.

Who does one complain to?

You and all the other Freeview Light viewers then.

Have you considered Freesat?

Well I bought a new Samsung TV. The product description on the Samsung
web site just said it was DVB-T2. I even rang them to confirm this.
The website of the shop I bought it from just described it as
Freeview. However when it turned up there was an F-Plug socket, and it
does have Freesat software. That is the good news. The bad news is that
if you add channels like 101 to a favourites group, they get lost from
the group after a few hours. I am trying to get Samsung to do something
about this. This lead me to trying Freeview which works fine apart from
BBC Four just being in SD.

--
Michael Chare

---