terrible confusion

Old March 8th 17, 02:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default terrible confusion

The other day I had a vague thought about the switch from analogue to
digital TV, and somehow in my mind it got confused with the switch from
405-VHF to 625-UHF. Oh dear.

Old March 8th 17, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, the problem is there has never been a time when something new and
different has been very near to happening.
Back in the early 50s, the tvs tended to have no tuner, just a plug in coil
set inside for the bbc channel in the area you were in, then, shock horror
ITV was going to be transmitted on the very high frequency of band III.
Loads of scrambling later weird dodgy conversions came out trying to use
band one as the If, but if you were too near to the station, no chance of ex
cluding bbc.
Not only that but you needed two aerials as well.
So do not fret. When BBC2 came out on UHF we had at least by then got
multi channel turret tuners like the fireball, with its planned self
destruct mechanism.

You needed two aerials again of course but also two completely different IF
and video systems and intercarrier fm sound that was half a meg out with all
other countries in the world. almost as clever as the French, who went for a
different colour system and positive going video. It was a bit of a climbe
down though as the French had high definition before anyone else and
downgraded from 819lines to 625 for colour.

There are lots and lots of stories about 625 ready sets in this country
which were none of the sort as they thought it was just a frequency and
line number change.

So the mess of new lamps for old has been an old tradition in this world of
ours...

news

Old March 8th 17, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sam

On 08/03/2017 16:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
then, shock horror
ITV was going to be transmitted on the very high frequency of band III.
Loads of scrambling later weird dodgy conversions came out trying to use
band one as the If, but if you were too near to the station, no chance of ex
cluding bbc.

There were also tuners that plugged into the front end valve socket -
valve removed of course. These replaced the RF stages of the TV and
utilised the IF strip. They fitted inside the cabinet through hopefully
neatly drilled holes.

---

Old March 8th 17, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sam

Default PS - terrible confusion

On 08/03/2017 17:11, Sam wrote:
On 08/03/2017 16:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
then, shock horror
ITV was going to be transmitted on the very high frequency of band III.
Loads of scrambling later weird dodgy conversions came out trying to use
band one as the If, but if you were too near to the station, no chance
of ex
cluding bbc.

There were also tuners that plugged into the front end valve socket -
valve removed of course. These replaced the RF stages of the TV and
utilised the IF strip. They fitted inside the cabinet through hopefully
neatly drilled holes.

I think they were "Cyldon" tuners produced by Sidney S Bird

---

Old March 8th 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 16:33:13 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

They weren't just a story - my parents bought a Bush TV supposedly ready for UHF, but when 625 came it turned out there was no UHF tuner inside!

Old March 8th 17, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:48:29 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

[...]

The Thorn 800 chassis was described as "convertible", but the only
ones I saw converted for UHF/625 were at the hands of enthusiasts, not
Thorn.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%