why 12V?

Old April 3rd 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default why 12V?

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Monday, 3 April 2017 11:46:40 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
On 03/04/2017 09:43, Martin wrote:

and until then will EU signs be modified to "EU passports only except
those
with obsolete UK passports"?

I've never yet (apart from the UK) been to an airport where they rigidly
enforce the EU/non EU segregation at the check points.
Really irritating when you're in the EU queue, and someone from
thousands of miles away is in front of you without any proper
documentation, visas, etc etc. Instead of sending them to the back
of the non EU queue, they are indulged for 5 minutes, holding up
the EU queue. There's zero tolerance for that in the UK, wrong passport,
go to the other queue please.

We assume everyone can read English, as it happens most can.

Can you read Greek?

Is it still true that in Europe at least, English is the most widely
spoken/understood *second* language? If so, it makes sense to have signs in
English as well as the local language.

Symbols as an alternative to words are a great idea, as long as they are
clearly understood: I find with a lot of symbols I look at them for ages
trying to work out "what is this a picture of?"" so I can then progress to
"what does it mean?". The first is usually much harder that the second. You
quickly learn standard symbols like man/woman (on toilet doors), exit (arrow
leading out of a C-shaped rectangle), play/pause/FF/REW, power (vertical
line protruding from almost-closed circle). It's all the other ones that are
specific to certain equipment or trades. Read up on Google about the
confusion caused by the "muster" sign (and the use of that very unusual word
"muster" - not exactly a common word even to native English speakers, never
mind English as second language) on board ships.

Languages that don't use the Latin alphabet (Russia, Greece etc) have the
added problem that unless you know the letters you can't even *attempt* to
pronounce their words - even more so for symbolic, non-alphabetic languages
like Chinese and Japanese.

Old April 3rd 17, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 03/04/2017 13:52, NY wrote:

Languages that don't use the Latin alphabet (Russia, Greece etc) have
the added problem that unless you know the letters you can't even
*attempt* to pronounce their words - even more so for symbolic,
non-alphabetic languages like Chinese and Japanese.

Once you're out of Tokyo, you're largely on your own trying to read
signs in Japan. I think it was in Japan where I saw an exit sign
denoted by the word 'Exit' in Japanese, and one of the characters
handily looks like a box with an arrow pointing out of it !

American Exit signs are in red, which I find counter intuitive, but hey,
that's just one in a long list of 'special' things about America !

--
Mark
Old April 3rd 17, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 03/04/2017 13:52, NY wrote:

Languages that don't use the Latin alphabet (Russia, Greece etc) have
the added problem that unless you know the letters you can't even
*attempt* to pronounce their words - even more so for symbolic,
non-alphabetic languages like Chinese and Japanese.

Once you're out of Tokyo, you're largely on your own trying to read signs
in Japan. I think it was in Japan where I saw an exit sign denoted by the
word 'Exit' in Japanese, and one of the characters
handily looks like a box with an arrow pointing out of it !

American Exit signs are in red, which I find counter intuitive, but hey,
that's just one in a long list of 'special' things about America !

At least the brain is tuned to red signifying danger or emergency and
therefore a red EXIT is an emergency exit.

The best "special thing" about American signs is their insistence on using
large numbers of absurdly small units: "roadworks in 5280 feet" rather than
"roadworks in 1 mile", or specifying vehicle weight restrictions in pounds.
Specifying people's weights in pounds rather than stones is fair enough: the
numbers are still not very big, but once you get into quantities expressed
as thousands or tens of thousands, you need to be using a smaller unit. The
ultimate "stupid unit" is rev counters that used to be numbered as "10, 20,
30" x 100 rpm: stupid because a) it goes against standard engineering
convention of using multiples of 1000 rather than of 10 or 100 (*), and b)
because it means that rev counters and speedometers are calibrated with a
similar range of numbers.

The one that always gets me (and I did German O level) is signs saying
"NOTAUSGANG" which means "Emergency Exit" ("Not" is German for "emergency").
No matter how many times I tell myself this, when I see such as sign I
subconsciously think "OK, that's not an emergency exit so I'd better look
for another exit" :-(

(*) 0-999 x 1, 0-999 x1000, 0-999 x 1000,000 etc rather than 37 x 100, 37 x
10,000 etc

Old April 3rd 17, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 03/04/2017 13:52, NY wrote:

Is it still true that in Europe at least, English is the most widely
spoken/understood *second* language? If so, it makes sense to have signs
in English as well as the local language.

AFAIK it's globally the most widely spoken second language. It's been
the language of the largest economy in the world for several hundred
years. (British Empire, then USA)

Languages that don't use the Latin alphabet (Russia, Greece etc) have
the added problem that unless you know the letters you can't even
*attempt* to pronounce their words - even more so for symbolic,
non-alphabetic languages like Chinese and Japanese.

I've just been in China. It didn't take me long to work out the
characters for Emergency Exit - probably helped by it usually being in
English as well.

Andy
--
Shenzhen special economic zone. Laws tweaked to permit foreigners.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 7th 17, 03:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , NY
wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
news
The daft thing is that it is likely (I would suggest) that the use of
the old EU/GB bit of the plate will be outlawed by our beloved
government and we will all have to go back to fitting stick-on GB
ovals!

I've always thought that the GB oval was considerably better than the
symbol on the numberplate, because the white sticker can be read by the
car behind at normal following distance - and presumably the main reason
for having the sticker is to tell French, German etc drivers that we're
British (ie RHD car, not used driving on the right) and to make
allowances; likewise in reverse for drivers from mainland Europe when
driving in the UK.

Putting that info as an emblem that can only be read about a foot away
defeats that object.

Interesting that you see a fair proportion of cars with a red dragon
(Wales) or thistle (Scotland) on the plate,

Never seen a Thistle - it's normally a Saltire

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England