why 12V?

Old March 23rd 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default why 12V?

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

NY wrote:

It should have the same tyre as the four running ones

I don't have the only car with different tyres front and back...

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...irelexikon-3-4

In other words, don't mix sizes, speed ratings and tread patterns,
and although we'd like to scare you into buying four of our
identical tyres, the law doesn't let us ...

In France it is illegal to have non-identical tyres on the same axle,
so don't go there Andy!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 23rd 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

NY wrote:

It should have the same tyre as the four running ones

I don't have the only car with different tyres front and back...

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...irelexikon-3-4

In other words, don't mix sizes, speed ratings and tread patterns, and
although we'd like to scare you into buying four of our identical tyres,
the law doesn't let us ...

In France it is illegal to have non-identical tyres on the same axle, so
don't go there Andy!

So two tyres of the same size, speed rating etc, are illegal if they are
different manufacturers and therefore tread pattern? What about the extreme
case of fitting a space-saver spare? Or is there a rule that says that you
must always fit the spare on the back axle and swap one of the tyres between
front and back if the puncture was on the front?

I presume it means that once you buy a set of tyres for your car, you must
always buy the same make from then on if one of them punctures (to allow for
front/rear swapping).

What are the rules about mixing tyres of the same make but different amounts
of wear - if your tyres are getting towards the end of their life (but are
still well within the legal limit) and one of them needs to be replaced, are
you allowed to have one with full tread on the same axle as an identical
make of tyre which is 3/4 worn? Or are you supposed to replace both tyres
even though only one is punctured?

I'm always surprised that steering tracking isn't noticeably affected by
this situation (assuming the dissimilar tyres are on the front) but I've
never found an increased tendency of the car to pull to one side or the
other after having a part-worn tyre replaced with a new one.

Old March 23rd 17, 03:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Woody wrote:

In France it is illegal to have non-identical tyres on the same axle,

No cars fitted with space-saver tyres there, then?

so don't go there Andy!

The chances of me driving anything other than a hire car in $FOREIGN are
close to zero.

Old March 23rd 17, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on March 30, 2017.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:52:01 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Martin wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

NY wrote:

It should have the same tyre as the four running ones

I don't have the only car with different tyres front and back...

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...irelexikon-3-4

In other words, don't mix sizes, speed ratings and tread patterns, and
although we'd like to scare you into buying four of our identical tyres,
the law doesn't let us ...

Is there a good reason why you shouldn't have four identical tyres?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old March 23rd 17, 04:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

Martin wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

NY wrote:

It should have the same tyre as the four running ones

I don't have the only car with different tyres front and back...

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...irelexikon-3-4

In other words, don't mix sizes, speed ratings and tread patterns, and
although we'd like to scare you into buying four of our identical tyres,
the law doesn't let us ...

Huh?

Is there a good reason why you shouldn't have four identical tyres?

No. Indeed, that page recommends that you do. Although I do not rotate
tyres, since that way you end up buying 4 at a time, instead of 2.

--
Today is Boomtime, the 9th day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
Old March 23rd 17, 04:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on March 30, 2017.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:48:36 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

NY wrote:

[...]

It is generally recognised that the legal limit is not safe.

and one of them needs to be replaced, are
you allowed to have one with full tread on the same axle as an identical
make of tyre which is 3/4 worn? Or are you supposed to replace both tyres
even though only one is punctured?

I guess you do what you consider is safe.

I'm always surprised that steering tracking isn't noticeably affected by
this situation (assuming the dissimilar tyres are on the front) but I've
never found an increased tendency of the car to pull to one side or the
other after having a part-worn tyre replaced with a new one.

How about breaking hard on a wet road? Try it sometime :-)

When did Continental become the best tyre in independent tests? For years it was
always Michelin.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old March 23rd 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 15:11:24 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Woody wrote:

In France it is illegal to have non-identical tyres on the same axle,

No cars fitted with space-saver tyres there, then?

so don't go there Andy!

The chances of me driving anything other than a hire car in $FOREIGN are
close to zero.

Better do it before you need a visa :-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old March 23rd 17, 04:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote:

Martin wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

NY wrote:

It should have the same tyre as the four running ones

I don't have the only car with different tyres front and back...

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...irelexikon-3-4

In other words, don't mix sizes, speed ratings and tread patterns, and
although we'd like to scare you into buying four of our identical tyres,
the law doesn't let us ...

Is there a good reason why you shouldn't have four identical tyres?

Yes. You buy a car with the manufacturer's standard tyres. As they need
replacing (maybe front wear more quickly than back so need replacing sooner)
you fit the tyres that you prefer (maybe cheap budget one, maybe better ones
with better wet/snow grip). Later on you get an unrepairable puncture and
replace that tyre. By now you could have a mixtures of tyres of different
ages and types.

Old March 23rd 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on March 30, 2017.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:59:15 -0000, "NY" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Martin wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

NY wrote:

It should have the same tyre as the four running ones

I don't have the only car with different tyres front and back...

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...irelexikon-3-4

In other words, don't mix sizes, speed ratings and tread patterns, and
although we'd like to scare you into buying four of our identical tyres,
the law doesn't let us ...

Is there a good reason why you shouldn't have four identical tyres?

Yes. You buy a car with the manufacturer's standard tyres. As they need
replacing (maybe front wear more quickly than back so need replacing sooner)
you fit the tyres that you prefer (maybe cheap budget one, maybe better ones
with better wet/snow grip). Later on you get an unrepairable puncture and
replace that tyre. By now you could have a mixtures of tyres of different
ages and types.

OK. I specify which tyres I want on a new car, if what is provided is not the
best. I haven't had to do this since we switched to buying Nissan 30 years ago.
If I have a tyre damaged beyond repair. I buy two new tyres and in the days when
spare wheels existed, I moved the good tyre of the pair to the spare wheel if it
was less worn than the spare. I've only ever had to do this twice. I put my
family's safety above the cost of an extra new tyre.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old March 23rd 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Huge wrote:

Huh?

I just meant they start off saying "have four identical" but then they
weaken it a bit by saying "actually they don't have to be identical,
just this and that need to be the same" much as they'd like everyone to
stick with their brand.