why 12V?

Old March 14th 17, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default why 12V?

In article ,
The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:31:47 +0000, charles wrote:

And nowadays with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts, where is the
correct socket stored?

And alloy wheels need tightening to the correct torque - how many people
carry a torque wrench?

but, at least I own one. But, since it must be 40+ years old, it's probably
callibrated in the "wrong" units.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old March 14th 17, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"The Other John" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:31:47 +0000, charles wrote:

And nowadays with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts, where is the
correct socket stored?

And alloy wheels need tightening to the correct torque - how many people
carry a torque wrench?

How essential is it that the correct torque is used, as long as you use
roughly the same torque for all the bolts, and tighten them in the order 1,
3, 2, 4 (or any random order other than consecutive 1, 2, 3, 4) to avoid
creating cyclic torque - just as you would for a steel wheel.

Changing the subject, when did cars change from having bolts on the hub and
the wheel fastened on by nuts, to the present system of threaded holes in
the hub and the wheel fastened on by bolts? Some time in the 80s or 90s?
What made them change? I much prefer wheel bolts because you can offer up
the wheel and "hang" its centre on the protrusion in the hub to take the
weight, and then rotate it until the holes line up, whereas with protruding
bolts you had to fine-tune the position while carrying the whole weight of
the wheel. Makes you wonder why they ever used bolts on the hub.

Old March 14th 17, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 14/03/2017 15:13, NY wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message
First they came for our spare wheels, and I did not speak out-
Then they came for our copper...

The fact that most cars either do not have a spare wheel or else have
one that can only be used for a max of 50 miles

What? Is that true? I've never had a car like that.

Old March 14th 17, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 14/03/2017 19:03, The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:31:47 +0000, charles wrote:

And nowadays with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts, where is the
correct socket stored?

And alloy wheels need tightening to the correct torque - how many people
carry a torque wrench?

I carry a talk wench.

Old March 14th 17, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 14/03/2017 19:03, The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:31:47 +0000, charles wrote:

And nowadays with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts, where is the
correct socket stored?

And alloy wheels need tightening to the correct torque - how many people
carry a torque wrench?

I carry a talk wench.

Bill

Careful you don't put your back out.
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses
Old March 14th 17, 07:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 14/03/2017 15:13, NY wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message
First they came for our spare wheels, and I did not speak out-
Then they came for our copper...

The fact that most cars either do not have a spare wheel or else have
one that can only be used for a max of 50 miles

What? Is that true? I've never had a car like that.

Sadly most cars sold nowadays either have a "spacesaver" spare wheel which
is the same diameter as the normal wheel but about the thickness of a
motorbike wheel, or else they have run-flat tyres and no spare wheel (*).
The trend began about 15 years ago: at first you could choose your car based
(among other things) on whether it had a proper serviceable,
fully-interchangeable spare wheel, but now almost no cars have a full size
wheel. They say it's because there isn't room to accommodate one, but they
never seemed to have a problem before.

A spacesaver is fine if you are only making a short journey and/or you can
spare the time to visit a garage that is open to get the punctured tyre
replaced immediately, but if you are on a long journey, especially at night,
you are stuffed. I like to choose when I get the tyre repaired, rather than
be forced into getting it done immediately. I once ran on the spare for
about a month, with the dead wheel in the boot: I kept forgetting to take it
into a garage.

(*) With run-flat tyres, I'm not sure whether punctures can be repaired or
whether the run-flat nature of the tyre does irreparable damage which always
requires the tyre to be replaced, even if you can use it for a limited
distance/speed before that.

Old March 14th 17, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

On 14/03/2017 15:13, NY wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message
First they came for our spare wheels, and I did not speak out-
Then they came for our copper...

The fact that most cars either do not have a spare wheel or else
have
one that can only be used for a max of 50 miles

What? Is that true? I've never had a car like that.

Nah. It is very clearly marked as 50mph MAXIMUM speed - there's nowt
about the number of miles.

However what do you do if you are towing a caravan at the
time.....................

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 14th 17, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

news

On 14/03/2017 15:13, NY wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message
First they came for our spare wheels, and I did not speak out-
Then they came for our copper...

The fact that most cars either do not have a spare wheel or else have
one that can only be used for a max of 50 miles

What? Is that true? I've never had a car like that.

Nah. It is very clearly marked as 50mph MAXIMUM speed - there's nowt about
the number of miles.

I'm sure with my cars the handbook has said that the tyre has a maximum
distance of 50 miles - presumably that's 50 miles before you have to stop
and let it cool down, not 50 miles and then you have to throw it away and
buy a new one.

If not, I've been worrying unnecessarily: several hundred miles at 50
instead of 70 (or a little bit more) is pain but not a complete
show-stopper.

Old March 14th 17, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 14/03/2017 19:03, The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:31:47 +0000, charles wrote:

And nowadays with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts, where is the
correct socket stored?

And alloy wheels need tightening to the correct torque - how many people
carry a torque wrench?

They just supply a very short tool so men can't tighten them too much.

(Most people don't know how tight to tighten nuts and bolts - which is
why flat pack furniture instructions tell you to check the bolts after a
few week's use.)

--
Max Demian
Old March 15th 17, 12:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 14/03/2017 20:26, John Hall wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 14/03/2017 19:03, The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:31:47 +0000, charles wrote:

And nowadays with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts, where is the
correct socket stored?

And alloy wheels need tightening to the correct torque - how many people
carry a torque wrench?

I carry a talk wench.

Bill

Careful you don't put your back out.