SS:GB Pic wobble?. Episode 3

Old March 5th 17, 11:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
tony sayer

Default SS:GB Pic wobble?. Episode 3

Is it me or did anyone notice the picture waving about a bit from 3:55
mins in?. It was there on the live broadcast and now on iplayer too?.
--
Tony Sayer

Old March 6th 17, 09:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
NY

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

Is it me or did anyone notice the picture waving about a bit from 3:55
mins in?. It was there on the live broadcast and now on iplayer too?.

Looks as if the camera wasn't held very steadily. There seems to be a trend
nowadays for hand-held camera in situations where it doesn't add anything to
the atmosphere. I wonder if the Steadicam operator wasn't feeling too steady
on his feet...

Old March 6th 17, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Monday, 6 March 2017 02:43:27 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
Is it me or did anyone notice the picture waving about a bit from 3:55
mins in?. It was there on the live broadcast and now on iplayer too?.
--
Tony Sayer

I did notice that it was getting slower and slower.

An opportunity missed. No tension, no moral dilemmas about whether to collaborate or to resist - not much anyway.

Disappointed.

Old March 6th 17, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote in message
On Monday, 6 March 2017 02:43:27 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
Is it me or did anyone notice the picture waving about a bit from 3:55
mins in?. It was there on the live broadcast and now on iplayer too?.
--
Tony Sayer

I did notice that it was getting slower and slower.

An opportunity missed. No tension, no moral dilemmas about whether to
collaborate or to resist - not much anyway.

Disappointed.

I'd like to see C J Sansom's "Dominion" dramatised for TV. A much better
book on the same principle of "what if Churchill hadn't come to power and
Chamberlain had capitulated to the Germans", especially as it ends with
Churchill taking over from Chamberlain (or someone of similar views who
succeeded him) - just a few years later than in reality.

I'm recording SS-GB and I'll get round to watching it (along with Victoria,
the latest series of Endeavour and the final series of Downton Abbey) at
some point - as long as it doesn't go the way of Wolf Hall and I give up
half-way through (the dramatisation of Wolf Hall was as dire as the novel,
in terms of WTF is going on and who is this character that is speaking now).
(*)

(*) Hilary Mantel wins my "gross overuse of pronouns" award for having many
scenes with two (or more) people speaking, and every line of dialogue is
prefixed with variations of "he said" (or even no indication of the speaker)
so you very quickly lose track of who said what. It needs a few
"resynchronising" pointers ("Fred said") so you can update your knowledge of
who's speaking in case you've lost the plot.

Old March 6th 17, 05:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 13:15:03 -0000, "NY" wrote:

I'm recording SS-GB and I'll get round to watching it (along with Victoria,
the latest series of Endeavour and the final series of Downton Abbey) at
some point - as long as it doesn't go the way of Wolf Hall and I give up
half-way through (the dramatisation of Wolf Hall was as dire as the novel,
in terms of WTF is going on and who is this character that is speaking now).
(*)

The TV adaptation of Wolf Hall is best regarded as a series of
illustrations for those who have already read the book, and on that
basis I thought it was brilliantly done. I do agree it would probably
be difficult to follow if you hadn't read it though. It wasn't nearly
long enough to cover all the material, so would probably come across
as a series of isolated cameos, rather than a complete story.

(*) Hilary Mantel wins my "gross overuse of pronouns" award for having many
scenes with two (or more) people speaking, and every line of dialogue is
prefixed with variations of "he said" (or even no indication of the speaker)
so you very quickly lose track of who said what. It needs a few
"resynchronising" pointers ("Fred said") so you can update your knowledge of
who's speaking in case you've lost the plot.

That was an affectation she used in the books. The central character
is Cromwell, so whenever she introduces him at the beginning of a
scene she just uses a pronoun. Only when there is a risk of confusion,
for example when Cromwell is first mentioned partway through a scene
when she has already mentioned someone else, she will introduce him as
"he, Cromwell...". It's a bit odd until you get used to it, but I
suppose it's just the style of those particular books. It probably
doesn't translate very well to the screen if you haven't read the
books and expect the TV version to stand alone.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old March 7th 17, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
tony sayer

In article , NY
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

Is it me or did anyone notice the picture waving about a bit from 3:55
mins in?. It was there on the live broadcast and now on iplayer too?.

Looks as if the camera wasn't held very steadily. There seems to be a trend
nowadays for hand-held camera in situations where it doesn't add anything to
the atmosphere. I wonder if the Steadicam operator wasn't feeling too steady
on his feet...

Too much schnapps mien heir;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Old March 10th 17, 07:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Martin
scribeth thus
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:59:12 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article , NY
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
Is it me or did anyone notice the picture waving about a bit from 3:55
mins in?. It was there on the live broadcast and now on iplayer too?.

Looks as if the camera wasn't held very steadily. There seems to be a trend
nowadays for hand-held camera in situations where it doesn't add anything to
the atmosphere. I wonder if the Steadicam operator wasn't feeling too steady
on his feet...

Too much schnapps mien heir;!...

The Guardian TV programme reviewer has given up watching it.

That means that the public will like it and watch it then..

--
Tony Sayer

Old March 10th 17, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/03/2017 19:46, tony sayer wrote:

The Guardian TV programme reviewer has given up watching it.

Probably not enough incongruous ethnics in it for him.

Old March 11th 17, 10:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 09:38:03 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:46:07 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Martin
scribeth thus
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:59:12 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , NY
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
Is it me or did anyone notice the picture waving about a bit from
3:55 mins in?. It was there on the live broadcast and now on
iplayer too?.

Looks as if the camera wasn't held very steadily. There seems to be a
trend nowadays for hand-held camera in situations where it doesn't
add anything to the atmosphere. I wonder if the Steadicam operator
wasn't feeling too steady on his feet...

Too much schnapps mien heir;!...

The Guardian TV programme reviewer has given up watching it.

That means that the public will like it and watch it then..

I doubt it.

So do I. I gave up after watching the first episode and part of the
second. The book is far better than the adaptation.