A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Sky doing away with dishes??



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 4th 17, 10:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,641
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late night phone
ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be completely internet
based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?
If they do go this route, where would that leave freesat?
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!


  #2  
Old March 4th 17, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,182
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 11:24:04 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late
night phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be
completely internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?
If they do go this route, where would that leave freesat?
Brian


And they would have to change the name, too.

--
Davey.
  #3  
Old March 4th 17, 10:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,737
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

On 04/03/2017 11:50, Davey wrote:
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 11:24:04 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late
night phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be
completely internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?
If they do go this route, where would that leave freesat?


And they would have to change the name, too.


Like Carphone Warehouse hasn't.

--
Max Demian
  #4  
Old March 4th 17, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 423
Default Sky doing away with dishes??



"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late night
phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be completely
internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?
If they do go this route, where would that leave freesat?


showing all the currently encrypted channels un-encrypted :-)

tim





  #5  
Old March 4th 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,063
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late night
phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be completely
internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?


I got the impression from reports that I read a few weeks ago that the
Sky-over-broadband proposals were to supply their channels *additionally*
over broadband for those who can't have a dish. I didn't get the impression
that they were planning later on to withdraw satellite broadcasting and to
supply *only* over broadband. I wonder if the broadband infrastructure in
the UK is up to the *enormous* increase in traffic that would result from
all people who currently receive by satellite going over to broadband.

Anyway, in giving some additional people (eg in apartments) access to Sky,
won't they be at risk of removing Sky access to everyone out in the sticks
who has poor internet. I was visiting someone the other day who gets about
250-300 kbps on a good day, interspersed with periods of no contact (eg no
ping) whatsoever, alternating every few minutes. Try getting Sky over that
:-)

  #6  
Old March 4th 17, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,214
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 11:50:41 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 11:24:04 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late
night phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be
completely internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?
If they do go this route, where would that leave freesat?
Brian


And they would have to change the name, too.


Only to Cloud.
  #7  
Old March 4th 17, 12:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,040
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 11:56:32 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late
night phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be
completely internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?
If they do go this route, where would that leave freesat?


And they would have to change the name, too.


Like Carphone Warehouse hasn't.


And like storecasting services such as "Asda FM" should, but haven't.

What should Sky call themselves if they did move entirely to cable, I
wonder? - "Ground" perhaps, or "Green Box"?

Rod.
  #8  
Old March 4th 17, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,737
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

On 04/03/2017 13:07, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 11:56:32 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late
night phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be
completely internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?
If they do go this route, where would that leave freesat?


And they would have to change the name, too.


Like Carphone Warehouse hasn't.


And like storecasting services such as "Asda FM" should, but haven't.


"Hospital Radio"

--
Max Demian
  #9  
Old March 4th 17, 01:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,152
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

In article , Roderick Stewart
wrote:
What should Sky call themselves if they did move entirely to cable, I
wonder? - "Ground" perhaps, or "Green Box"?


"Dirt" or a near-synonym would seem logical. 8-]

Jim

--
Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

  #10  
Old March 4th 17, 04:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 521
Default Sky doing away with dishes??

On 04/03/2017 12:34, NY wrote:


Anyway, in giving some additional people (eg in apartments) access to
Sky, won't they be at risk of removing Sky access to everyone out in the
sticks who has poor internet. I was visiting someone the other day who
gets about 250-300 kbps on a good day, interspersed with periods of no
contact (eg no ping) whatsoever, alternating every few minutes. Try
getting Sky over that :-)




at the moment, but in the future broadcasting channels will probably
seem very quaint - when almost all homes have an internet feed of 1
gigbit even the picture quality argument will go the other way -
broadcast will appear inferior.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.