Sky doing away with dishes??

Old March 6th 17, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Sky doing away with dishes??

So what of the validity of this blokes claims then? Perhaps what he really
meant was that you could get most sky services through the internet.
brian

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 04/03/2017 17:38, Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 14:15:55 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

On 04/03/2017 13:07, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 11:56:32 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late
night phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be
completely internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be
needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?
If they do go this route, where would that leave freesat?

And they would have to change the name, too.

Like Carphone Warehouse hasn't.

And like storecasting services such as "Asda FM" should, but haven't.

"Hospital Radio"

Sharp started by making pencils.

Your local pharmacy gets its drugs from AAH, Amalgamated Anthracite
Holdings.

My business was called Wright's Aerials even though we fixed few aerials
for the last five or ten years.

ASDA was Associated Dairies

Radio Rentals didn't rent radios except in the early days

The Doncaster Free Press costs 1.15

Old March 6th 17, 08:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That was what I thought about, but he then started talking about 5G internet
and such like and I glazed over.

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I was intrigued by a comment from an expert on one of these late night
phone ins the other day about the great plan for Sky is to be completely
internet based in a few years, thus no dish will be needed.
Does this not in effect make them a cable company?

I got the impression from reports that I read a few weeks ago that the
Sky-over-broadband proposals were to supply their channels *additionally*
over broadband for those who can't have a dish. I didn't get the
impression that they were planning later on to withdraw satellite
broadcasting and to supply *only* over broadband. I wonder if the
broadband infrastructure in the UK is up to the *enormous* increase in
traffic that would result from all people who currently receive by
satellite going over to broadband.

Anyway, in giving some additional people (eg in apartments) access to Sky,
won't they be at risk of removing Sky access to everyone out in the sticks
who has poor internet. I was visiting someone the other day who gets about
250-300 kbps on a good day, interspersed with periods of no contact (eg no
ping) whatsoever, alternating every few minutes. Try getting Sky over that
:-)

Old March 7th 17, 06:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:15:39 +0000 (GMT), charles

wrote:

[...]

Bill

We used to have visits from a well-known magnetic tape manufacturer. We
said 'the man from the analine factory is here.

(BASF - Badische Anilin- und Soda-Fabrik)

as opposed to "Minnesotta Mining & Manufacturing"

I'm just off to do my shopping at Albrecht Discount.

not
T. E. Stockwell/Cohen?

Old March 7th 17, 06:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

It always amuses me how Lucky Gold Star became a reputable brand name.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old March 7th 17, 07:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Tim+" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

and there's

Wang (a now dead Computer company, though not because of its stupid name)

Dong Energy (for those that don't know, this isn't a Chinaman naming the
company after himself, as above, it's Danish Oil & Natural Gas)

and wtf thought that Sodexo was going to work as the name for an
international company

:-(

tim

Old March 7th 17, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roland Perry

In message , at 08:56:38 on Tue, 7 Mar 2017,
tim... remarked:

Wang (a now dead Computer company, though not because of its stupid name)

And possibly apocryphally, they had a support contract called " ... Key
Care". That's up their with "Siemens, Staines".
--
Roland Perry
Old March 7th 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roland Perry

In message , at 16:36:05 on
Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Martin remarked:

The Hole of Horcum is a real place too. It's not far from the Boggle Hole.

Anywhere near Pratt's Bottom?
--
Roland Perry
Old March 7th 17, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 16:36:05 +0100
Martin wrote:

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 15:16:38 +0000, wrote:

On 7 Mar 2017 10:30:23 GMT, Huge wrote:

Although "Sandy, Beds." is a real place.

So is Sandy Balls a holiday site in the New Forest, my missus and her
brothers grew up there as their parents were on the staff.
That was decades ago ,in recent times the owners have gone all
prudish and made the name all one word a couple of years back.
http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/

The origin of the name came from a geographical feature of sand piles
that had pushed up above the ground surface.

Harwich Hoek Ferry used to have brochures for Sandy Balls, in the
1980s.

The Hole of Horcum is a real place too. It's not far from the Boggle
Hole.

If you venture overseas to Kentucky, you can go to Sugar Tits, Beaver
Lick, and Big Bone State Park. All within range of Cincinnati
Airport (which is in Ohio).

--
Davey.
Old March 7th 17, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Martin wrote:

[...]

There are plenty more in England
https://www.indy100.com/article/thes...uk--W1at5pZXmW

Virgin Media (or whatever they call their cable service) refused to pass on
messages that had Sussex in the sender's address.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England