Motorhome tv dead?

Old February 24th 17, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Default Motorhome tv dead?

Our small Cello TV/DVD combo in our motorhome has always behaved perfectly
but today despite excellent signal strength from Black Hill (we're
currently parked up east of Peebles), a channel scan is producing zilch.

We have a Fringe UHF TV signal finder so we're pretty happy that we're
getting a good signal. It has worked in this location before. I'm guessing
that vibration has done for something internally. Is there much prospect
for a repair? Worth opening it up myself and having a gander? Any common
faults to look for?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 24th 17, 05:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin C[_4_]

On 24/02/2017 18:37, Tim+ wrote:
Cello TV/DVD combo

Rescan without an aerial connected to clear all memories.
Reconnect the aerial and rescan, may work!
MC
Old February 24th 17, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/02/2017 18:37, Tim+ wrote:
Our small Cello TV/DVD combo in our motorhome has always behaved perfectly
but today despite excellent signal strength from Black Hill (we're
currently parked up east of Peebles), a channel scan is producing zilch.

We have a Fringe UHF TV signal finder so we're pretty happy that we're
getting a good signal. It has worked in this location before. I'm guessing
that vibration has done for something internally. Is there much prospect
for a repair? Worth opening it up myself and having a gander? Any common
faults to look for?

Tim

Remove the aerial from the TV socket and touch the centre pin with a
small screwdriver as a temporary aerial. If that receives anything at
all your proper aerial is faulty.

Does the aerial have an amplifier that might need power to it?

Aerial plug shorted inside?

Old February 24th 17, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Martin C wrote:
On 24/02/2017 18:37, Tim+ wrote:
Cello TV/DVD combo

Rescan without an aerial connected to clear all memories.
Reconnect the aerial and rescan, may work!
MC

Alas tried all that including a factory reset on the telly.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 24th 17, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/02/2017 18:37, Tim+ wrote:
Our small Cello TV/DVD combo in our motorhome has always behaved perfectly
but today despite excellent signal strength from Black Hill (we're
currently parked up east of Peebles), a channel scan is producing zilch.

We have a Fringe UHF TV signal finder so we're pretty happy that we're
getting a good signal. It has worked in this location before. I'm guessing
that vibration has done for something internally. Is there much prospect
for a repair? Worth opening it up myself and having a gander? Any common
faults to look for?

Tim

Remove the aerial from the TV socket and touch the centre pin with a
small screwdriver as a temporary aerial. If that receives anything at
all your proper aerial is faulty.

Tried that. Nada.

Does the aerial have an amplifier that might need power to it?

Aerial plug shorted inside?

Both checked. Both okay. I fear something is broke inside.

Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 24th 17, 10:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

To start with Black Hill does not serve the Peebles area, or it is not
supposed to. If you are receiving it then you must be somewhere well
up the side of Dunslair Heights. If you are lower down I suspect you
will be receiving Selkirk which does cover parts of Peebles. Black
Hill is roughly NW of the town centre in pretty well the same
direction as Peebles transmitter, Selkirk is roughly SE or ESE from
the town centre.

Black Hill is channels 46, 43, 41, 44, and 47, and if you have HD then
40, 32, and 35 also. Local TV is on channel 51 but much lower power.

Selkirk is channels 50, 59, 57, 53, 60, and 55 for HD.

Selkirk is the first Tx to change for the 700MHz band clearance and it
starts on March 1st. On that day channel 50 will move to 32, then on
29th March the final move will take place to leave the line-up as 32,
33, 35, 36, and 48, and HD will move to 34. That of course will cause
problems if you can get good signals from both Selkirk and Black Hill!

I should add that I know the area well as I have family who live in
the town.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 24th 17, 11:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

"Tim+" wrote in message news
Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/02/2017 18:37, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I used to fix TV's but they were mostly analogue tuners then. Fault like
this always check supply and tuning voltages first, supply should be fixed
and tuning will vary, 0-30V DC on older TV's, depending on channel. Check
for dry joints where tuner joins PCB, if tuner's easily opened check where
aerial socket is soldered to board, this is very common. If I was sure it
was a faulty tuner I couldn't fix myself I used to send them to MCES in
Manchester but it seems they're closed now. New tuners vary widely in price,
maybe look Ebay for a used one.
Kenny

Old February 25th 17, 04:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Woody wrote:
[...]

and I have a picture of the town, painted by my mother, hanging immediately
over my desk. I have family in Stobo.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 25th 17, 06:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Woody wrote:
To start with Black Hill does not serve the Peebles area, or it is not
supposed to. If you are receiving it then you must be somewhere well
up the side of Dunslair Heights. If you are lower down I suspect you
will be receiving Selkirk which does cover parts of Peebles. Black
Hill is roughly NW of the town centre in pretty well the same
direction as Peebles transmitter, Selkirk is roughly SE or ESE from
the town centre.

Well, we were using my wife's antenna finder app and certainly with the
aerial pointed in the appropriate direction for Black Hill, we were getting
a strong signal.

The problem didn't seem to be one of "lack of signal", just "lack of
ability to tune into anything".

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 25th 17, 08:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Tim+ wrote:
Woody wrote:
To start with Black Hill does not serve the Peebles area, or it is not
supposed to. If you are receiving it then you must be somewhere well
up the side of Dunslair Heights. If you are lower down I suspect you
will be receiving Selkirk which does cover parts of Peebles. Black
Hill is roughly NW of the town centre in pretty well the same
direction as Peebles transmitter, Selkirk is roughly SE or ESE from
the town centre.

Well, we were using my wife's antenna finder app and certainly with the
aerial pointed in the appropriate direction for Black Hill, we were
getting a strong signal.

The problem didn't seem to be one of "lack of signal", just "lack of
ability to tune into anything".

The Peebles transmitter is about 2 miles NW of the town, VERTICALLY
polarised.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England