Motorhome tv dead?

Old February 25th 17, 08:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Motorhome tv dead?

Cable from aerial to set?

Is the aerial an active one, power missing from that or its trashed due to
something or other?
Otherwise going home with the uinit and testing it is the only other course
I'd imagine.

Things do die due to spikes on the supply etc or just cost they feel like
it.

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Our small Cello TV/DVD combo in our motorhome has always behaved perfectly
but today despite excellent signal strength from Black Hill (we're
currently parked up east of Peebles), a channel scan is producing zilch.

We have a Fringe UHF TV signal finder so we're pretty happy that we're
getting a good signal. It has worked in this location before. I'm
guessing
that vibration has done for something internally. Is there much prospect
for a repair? Worth opening it up myself and having a gander? Any common
faults to look for?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old February 25th 17, 09:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

It really depends on the construction. if the system uses plugs and sockets
internally then giving them a goodtweak is all one can do normally. I assume
the dvd still works which narrows it down to the RF switching and video
sigde of the thing.
Might find someboy willing to have a look at it still some tv repairers
about but it really depends on availablity of spares.

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/02/2017 18:37, Tim+ wrote:
Our small Cello TV/DVD combo in our motorhome has always behaved
perfectly
but today despite excellent signal strength from Black Hill (we're
currently parked up east of Peebles), a channel scan is producing zilch.

We have a Fringe UHF TV signal finder so we're pretty happy that we're
getting a good signal. It has worked in this location before. I'm
guessing
that vibration has done for something internally. Is there much prospect
for a repair? Worth opening it up myself and having a gander? Any common
faults to look for?

Tim

Remove the aerial from the TV socket and touch the centre pin with a
small screwdriver as a temporary aerial. If that receives anything at
all your proper aerial is faulty.

Tried that. Nada.

Does the aerial have an amplifier that might need power to it?

Aerial plug shorted inside?

Both checked. Both okay. I fear something is broke inside.

Please don't feed the trolls

Old February 25th 17, 09:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

A friend of mine looked inside a modern tv and could not even find the
tuner.
I guess its all SDR stuff these days with some kind of driect
signalsampling or something like that.

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...
"Tim+" wrote in message news
Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/02/2017 18:37, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I used to fix TV's but they were mostly analogue tuners then. Fault like
this always check supply and tuning voltages first, supply should be fixed
and tuning will vary, 0-30V DC on older TV's, depending on channel. Check
for dry joints where tuner joins PCB, if tuner's easily opened check where
aerial socket is soldered to board, this is very common. If I was sure it
was a faulty tuner I couldn't fix myself I used to send them to MCES in
Manchester but it seems they're closed now. New tuners vary widely in
price, maybe look Ebay for a used one.
Kenny

Old February 25th 17, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 05:27:29 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

and I have a picture of the town, painted by my mother, hanging immediately
over my desk.

I'm having trouble fitting the correct mental image to this.

Old February 25th 17, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

and I have a picture of the town, painted by my mother, hanging
immediately over my desk.

I'm having trouble fitting the correct mental image to this.

It was the picture that was painted by my mother - not the town.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 25th 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 23:12:48 -0000, Woody wrote:

on 29th March the final move will take place to leave the line-up as 32,
33, 35, 36, and 48, and HD will move to 34.

What is your source for this please?

That of course will cause
problems if you can get good signals from both Selkirk and Black Hill!

Why (any more than now, that is) ?
Old February 25th 17, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 12:53:51 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

and I have a picture of the town, painted by my mother, hanging
immediately over my desk.

I'm having trouble fitting the correct mental image to this.

It was the picture that was painted by my mother - not the town.

It's fairly clear what you meant by it, but the first image that came
to my mind was of your mother hanging over your desk while painting a
picture. Artists have been known to do stranger things than this, so
why not? It probably says more about me than about you or your mother,
but the image wouldn't go away.

Old February 25th 17, 01:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

and I have a picture of the town, painted by my mother, hanging
immediately over my desk.

I'm having trouble fitting the correct mental image to this.

It was the picture that was painted by my mother - not the town.

It's fairly clear what you meant by it, but the first image that came
to my mind was of your mother hanging over your desk while painting a
picture.#

But, since I'm nowhere near Peebles, my mother would have had difficulty in
painting the view. And, anyway, she died in 1968.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 25th 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 14:11:06 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

and I have a picture of the town, painted by my mother, hanging
immediately over my desk.

I'm having trouble fitting the correct mental image to this.

It was the picture that was painted by my mother - not the town.

It's fairly clear what you meant by it, but the first image that came
to my mind was of your mother hanging over your desk while painting a
picture.#

But, since I'm nowhere near Peebles, my mother would have had difficulty in
painting the view. And, anyway, she died in 1968.

Perhaps she could have painted it from memory, though of course, if
she'd painted any view while hanging over your desk, she'd have
painted it upside down wouldn't she? You'd probably have mentioned it
if the picture was upside down. :-)

Old February 25th 17, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 15:10:01 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

Perhaps she could have painted it from memory, though of course, if
she'd painted any view while hanging over your desk, she'd have
painted it upside down wouldn't she? You'd probably have mentioned it
if the picture was upside down. :-)

We had a monitor mounted upwards-facing in a set once. That had a mirror
at 45 degrees and the monitor had reversed line scans to make it all work.
It was also on a turntable and was the source of endless 'fun'.

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/bbc_west/news_1988.html

Oh, and it had a tweaked colour balance to make it work at 2900K or so.
No colour correctors then.