Local Muxes from Hannington

Old February 24th 17, 07:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default Local Muxes from Hannington

On 24/02/2017 08:30, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 24/02/17 07:51, Mark Carver wrote:

Yes, I saw Solent while staying in a hotel in Bournemouth. Incredibly
tedious viewing, and nothing of even comedic value to watch. Same for
the Liverpool station which I managed to tune in while in a Llandudno
b&b

Oh well, at least you've got TalkingPictures TV as an option on Ch8 now!

Actually, Mrs Carver is pleased to now have True Movies on DTT, without
having to faff around (in her view) with the Freesat box to see it !

I've stuck it on Ch 7 for her (I use Ch 8 for BBC News HD)

--
Mark
Old February 24th 17, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes that is right, but I do remember back in the old Analogue days as the
small transmitters started coming on a number of the regions went away. 51
yes I think that would be what I get. It does depend on the weather of
course. If you do a retune during high pressure you get a lot of high
numbered repeats that sometimes work sometimes just show up but are dead. A
dedicated aerial would of course fix a lot of that its to true.
Its a strange situation today since there are now so many station
multiplexes sharing channels that predicting what is going to happen is nigh
on impossible.

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 23/02/2017 17:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
I can get Hannington here in Kingston UponThames on a hill. Its a bit
awkward sometimes since Crystal Palace is my local one and it is in
almost
exactly the opposite direction so comes in off the back of the aerial.
The
answer was to put it below the roof line so the house is int he way of
Hannington. Of course if it had anything at all regionally different it
might be worth me putting my double 18 ele stack up that way, but these
days
tv is boringly the same.

Well, you won't get the Reading service on ch 29, because it's co-channel
with London Live from CP.

The Basingstoke service on Ch 51 might be possible, until the Guildford
mux opens up, also on 51 !

--
Mark

Old February 26th 17, 09:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 17:43:30 UTC, Mark Carver wrote:
Hannington is now carrying the two local muxes to serve Reading (UHF Ch
29) and Basingstoke (UHF Ch 51)

Only the three national 'sustaining' services at present on both, (Kix,
True Crime, and True Movies) nothing in the visible service tables
indicating the 'That's Reading' and 'That's Hampshire' local channels. I
assume they are one step closer now ?!

I'm in Basingstoke, obviously full signal for the Basingstoke mux here,
but stable decodable signal for Reading, (the original plan was for both
to share Ch 29, a lá the Manchester/Liverpool/Preston services from
Winter Hill)

--
Mark

I have an aerial on Oxford and I get Oxford TV on UHF 29 here in Northampton.
Old February 28th 17, 06:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 17:43:23 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Hannington is now carrying the two local muxes to serve Reading (UHF Ch
29) and Basingstoke (UHF Ch 51)

Only the three national 'sustaining' services at present on both, (Kix,
True Crime, and True Movies) nothing in the visible service tables
indicating the 'That's Reading' and 'That's Hampshire' local channels. I
assume they are one step closer now ?!

I'm in Basingstoke, obviously full signal for the Basingstoke mux here,
but stable decodable signal for Reading, (the original plan was for both
to share Ch 29, a lá the Manchester/Liverpool/Preston services from
Winter Hill)

Is there more than one "Basingstoke" in the UK? Up until now, I've never
been minded to consider the existence of more than one
"Basingstoke" (Science Wonder City of The South).

Whenever any reference was made to the city in one of the weekly trade
papers (Microscope, IIRC), it was *always* given its full title,
"Basingstoke, Science Wonder City of the South"[1]. Have you no pride, or
is it just a case of your being a denizen of *another* altogether
different "Basingstoke" elsewhere in the UK?

[1] I suppose the use of the full title by the trade paper could have
been to avoid confusion with a lesser "Basingstoke". :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old February 28th 17, 07:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 28/02/2017 19:23, Johnny B Good wrote:

Is there more than one "Basingstoke" in the UK?

No

Up until now, I've never
been minded to consider the existence of more than one
"Basingstoke" (Science Wonder City of The South).

It's not a city, nor aspires to be one.

Whenever any reference was made to the city in one of the weekly trade
papers (Microscope, IIRC), it was *always* given its full title,
"Basingstoke, Science Wonder City of the South"[1]. Have you no pride, or
is it just a case of your being a denizen of *another* altogether
different "Basingstoke" elsewhere in the UK?

WTF, have you been drinking ?

--
Mark
Old March 1st 17, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 20:33:20 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

On 28/02/2017 19:23, Johnny B Good wrote:

Is there more than one "Basingstoke" in the UK?

No

Up until now, I've never been minded to consider the existence of more
than one "Basingstoke" (Science Wonder City of The South).

It's not a city, nor aspires to be one.

Whenever any reference was made to the city in one of the weekly trade
papers (Microscope, IIRC), it was *always* given its full title,
"Basingstoke, Science Wonder City of the South"[1]. Have you no pride,
or is it just a case of your being a denizen of *another* altogether
different "Basingstoke" elsewhere in the UK?

WTF, have you been drinking ?

Now that I come to think about it, it may have been more a case of
genteel mockery[1] (it was on the same page as the ongoing comic soap
opera about the BOFH).

Your reaction would seem to confirm that this was the case rather than
Basingstoke having any outstanding qualities for *anyone* to *want* to
shout out about. I suppose this must be why it was chosen for the
accolade "Science Wonder City of The South" :-) .

Apologies for the topic drift but, even though it's been well over a
decade since I last saw that immortal phrase, "Science Wonder City of The
South", it still springs to mind every time I see a reference to "That
Fabled City" (aka Basingstoke).

[1] Genteel mockery, which I suspect is not so much about Basingstoke but
more to do with successive post war UK governments' seemingly deliberate
attempts at stifling any home grown "Silicon Valley"s to bolt a stable
door long left swinging wide open in the breeze by our Yankee cousins.

The very same government thinking btw, that killed off our fledgling
space rocketry research department whilst it was still ahead of both the
Yanks and the Russians and, worse yet, before the fruits of its research
could be commercially realised. Hats off to the French for having the
good sense and the pride to continue *their* space rocketry programme and
turn it into a more than viable commercial enterprise.

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 1st 17, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Wed, 01 Mar 2017 13:41:15 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

Apologies for the topic drift but, even though it's been well over a
decade since I last saw that immortal phrase, "Science Wonder City of The
South", it still springs to mind every time I see a reference to "That
Fabled City" (aka Basingstoke).

I'v just done a Google search for "Science Wonder City of The South".
Just 4 results are found. they are all newsgroup posts by you. I think
that three of them are the same, archived by different sites.

In uk.tech.digital-tv, Subject: DSO odds and ends
http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/281566-post17.html

In uk.d-i-y, Subject: OT Clutha pub helicopter crash: engine failure.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...Y/9LQrClaFNj4J

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)