New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

Old February 22nd 17, 06:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39042666

I am curious about some of this:

1. If the new channel is to be called BBC Scotland, will there still
be a BBC One Scotland? Will this not cause confusion?
2. It is claimed there will be a 'prominent' slot on the epg so I
assume this means availability on Freeview. I assume SD as there is
no mention of HD?
3. The report goes on to say this will be available on iPlayer in HD
in Scotland and across UK. Does this breach platform neutrality rules
by offering HD on one platform and not the others?
4. If broadcast from 7pm to midnight every evening where will the
capacity come from? Alba meant losing most of the radio stations so
what will be lost to make way for this new channel?
5. This includes 19m in new money and 11m from programmes currently
made for BBC Two in Scotland. Does this imply an end to BBC Two
Scotland?
6. What is the point of offering an integrated hour-long news
programme at 9pm on a minority channel rather than the 'Scottish Six'
on BBC One? This sounds like incurring the same cost for a very much
smaller audience.
Old February 22nd 17, 11:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]

On 22/02/2017 19:03, Scott wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39042666

I am curious about some of this:

1. If the new channel is to be called BBC Scotland, will there still
be a BBC One Scotland? Will this not cause confusion?

No

2. It is claimed there will be a 'prominent' slot on the epg so I
assume this means availability on Freeview. I assume SD as there is
no mention of HD?

Not available for 18 months [ish] so plenty of time to work that out

3. The report goes on to say this will be available on iPlayer in HD
in Scotland and across UK. Does this breach platform neutrality rules
by offering HD on one platform and not the others?

See 2

4. If broadcast from 7pm to midnight every evening where will the
capacity come from? Alba meant losing most of the radio stations so
what will be lost to make way for this new channel?

There are plenty of spare TV channels

5. This includes 19m in new money and 11m from programmes currently
made for BBC Two in Scotland. Does this imply an end to BBC Two
Scotland?

Why should it? It's not BBC 1 Scotland simply BBC Scotland

6. What is the point of offering an integrated hour-long news
programme at 9pm on a minority channel rather than the 'Scottish Six'
on BBC One? This sounds like incurring the same cost for a very much
smaller audience.

To make up for the howls of protest coming from the Scots over many things -
such as not being interested in the problems of the English Health Service
which dominates the news and also to shut them up about the fact that for
every pound raised in Scotland in license fees 50pence of it gets spent in
England.
An extra 30 million - the reported cost of the service - per year doesn't
sound mush like the same cost to me.

So, my questions:-

1. Are you Scottish?

2. Do you feel a) deprived, b) jealous, c) Indifferent?

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care enough to
deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the rest of the
country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to either force you to
watch it if you don't want to or prevent you from watching it if you do.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
Old February 23rd 17, 08:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"David Kennedy" wrote in message
o.uk...

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care enough to
deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the rest of the
country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to either force you to watch it
if you don't want to or prevent you from watching it if you do.

But meanwhile, I'll be paying for it through my licence fee.

It's not free. It won't even come cheap. The question is whether I want to pay for
it if I'll get no benefit.

And the answer to that is generally 'no'.

Old February 23rd 17, 08:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:
"David Kennedy" wrote in message
o.uk...

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care enough to
deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the rest of the
country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to either force you to watch it
if you don't want to or prevent you from watching it if you do.

But meanwhile, I'll be paying for it through my licence fee.

So what? I pay for radio 5 / sport though my licence fee.

It's not free. It won't even come cheap. The question is whether I want to pay for
it if I'll get no benefit.

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into balance.

Old February 23rd 17, 08:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , David
Kennedy wrote:
On 22/02/2017 19:03, Scott wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39042666

4. If broadcast from 7pm to midnight every evening where will the
capacity come from? Alba meant losing most of the radio stations so
what will be lost to make way for this new channel?

There are plenty of spare TV channels

But the number of channels the BBC produce is limited by what they can
afford and handle. Not by the total capacity of DVB transmitters.

5. This includes 19m in new money and 11m from programmes currently
made for BBC Two in Scotland. Does this imply an end to BBC Two
Scotland?

Why should it? It's not BBC 1 Scotland simply BBC Scotland

They may decide to end the practice of BBC2 HD in Scotland being a
duplicate of BBC2 HD in England. I'm wondering if this being presented as
'spin' as a 'new channel' when what is really happening is the start of
availability of BBC HD for opt-outs.

Time will tell...

Old February 23rd 17, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

It sounds to me a bit like some kind of cosmetic pseudo channel to me. To
placate the Scots or something.
In that case I want a outer London Channel from the bbc. Most of the London
news is like inner London and surrey is se news.
Not that I really care as mostly the news we get given thsese days seems to
be pretty blank though I have to say, Ch 4 do try at least to invoke a
different slant on news.

Old February 23rd 17, 09:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]

On 23/02/2017 09:01, Norman Wells wrote:
"David Kennedy" wrote in message
o.uk...

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care enough
to deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the rest of
the country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to either force you
to watch it if you don't want to or prevent you from watching it if you do.

But meanwhile, I'll be paying for it through my licence fee.

No. You won't. That's part of their grievance - and part of my reply. Most of
the Scottish license fee is spent topping up English programming...

It's not free. It won't even come cheap. The question is whether I want to
pay for it if I'll get no benefit.

And the answer to that is generally 'no'.

See above

PS get a life.

Old February 23rd 17, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
Norman Wells wrote:
"David Kennedy" wrote in message
o.uk...

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care enough to
deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the rest of the
country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to either force you to watch
it
if you don't want to or prevent you from watching it if you do.

But meanwhile, I'll be paying for it through my licence fee.

So what? I pay for radio 5 / sport though my licence fee.

Yes, but that's cheap as chips.

It's not free. It won't even come cheap. The question is whether I want to pay
for
it if I'll get no benefit.

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into balance.

What the BBC 'spends' in Scotland, whatever you mean by that, is totally irrelevant.
It's what it 'provides' to Scotland that matters.

If the Scots want to fund their own television service just out of Scottish licence
fees, I'm happy with that, but I suspect the result may well be a bit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqOQAl_MrcM

Old February 23rd 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Scott" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39042666

I am curious about some of this:

1. If the new channel is to be called BBC Scotland, will there still
be a BBC One Scotland? Will this not cause confusion?
2. It is claimed there will be a 'prominent' slot on the epg so I
assume this means availability on Freeview. I assume SD as there is
no mention of HD?
3. The report goes on to say this will be available on iPlayer in HD
in Scotland and across UK. Does this breach platform neutrality rules

what "platform neutrality rules"?

tim

Old February 23rd 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Jim Lesurf
wrote:
In article , Norman Wells
wrote:
"David Kennedy" wrote in
message o.uk...

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care
enough to deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the
rest of the country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to
either force you to watch it if you don't want to or prevent you
from watching it if you do.

But meanwhile, I'll be paying for it through my licence fee.

So what? I pay for radio 5 / sport though my licence fee.

It's not free. It won't even come cheap. The question is whether I
want to pay for it if I'll get no benefit.

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into balance.

if Scotland only got programmes made in Scotland, that would make sense.
But, most of the broadcast hours are made centrally and need to be paid for.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England