New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

Old February 24th 17, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

On 24/02/2017 11:29, Paul Cummins wrote:

Are you claiming that BBC Radio Scotland and BBC Radio nan Gàidhea are
"Local stations" for the whole nation? Then why no Radio England? And why
do Orkney and Shetland get their own little local stations. I don't see
BBC Radio Isle of Wight, or BBC Radio Scilly Isles.

Although both those islands have their own (reasonably successful)
commercial radio services.

As does the Isle of Man, (since 1964, three years before any BBC local
stations existed )

The problem with having a BBC Radio England is perfectly illustrated
by the programme that's carried on all 38 English BBC local radio
stations 7pm until 10 every weekday night.

--
Mark
Old February 24th 17, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 24/02/2017 10:19, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 09:50:24 +0000, Bill Taylor
wrote:

I watch Amazon prime and it has a few good shows, but most of it is
dross, just like all the other channels; very expensively produced
dross.

Yes, some of it is rubbish, but if a programme has an individual
price, as some do, you can choose whether you think it's worth paying
for. You can't do that with the BBC; you have to pay for all of it in
order to watch any of it, or even if you only want to watch programmes
from other broadcasters and none from the BBC at all. And it costs you
about twice as much as Amazon or Netflix.

You usually can't tell whether a programme is worth watching until
you've started watching it, and they won't give you your money back if
you think it's rubbish. This is why I think subscription is a better way
to pay for programmes than per programme.

--
Max Demian
Old February 24th 17, 02:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Cummins[_5_]

In article ,
(charles) wrote:

Not all transmitters are equal. The bigest - and most expensive to
run are in Englannd.

The biggest are not the most costly per head to run, the smallest are -
especially the ones miles from anywhere down a farm track that takes
hours for a two man team to get to etc.

Also, I didn't count all the FM Radio transmitters - Scottish repeaters
are more complex as they have to carry six FM stations, where English
ones have only 4 stations. with the reduced complexity involved.

There are local radio station in England, pehaps you hadn't
noticed.

Are you claiming that BBC Radio Scotland and BBC Radio nan Gàidhea are
"Local stations" for the whole nation? Then why no Radio England? And why
do Orkney and Shetland get their own little local stations. I don't see
BBC Radio Isle of Wight, or BBC Radio Scilly Isles.

It's obvious that Scotland is being subsidised by English licence payers
to anyone who actually examines the figures.

I still await a reasoned rebuttal, not a knee-jerk reaction.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Old February 24th 17, 11:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 05:03 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(David Kennedy) wrote:

Let them make it themselves and have their own TV licence for
their own channels. We already subsidise Scottish broadcasting.

NO, you don't

YES, we do.

Of the approximately 1000 TV transmitters in the UK, 208 are in scotland.
That's 20%, give or take.

Is 20% of the population of the UK in Scotland? No, its about 12%

So this means Scottish Television is being subsidised by the rest of the
population.

The BBC spend 6.5% of it's budget on distribution, not all of which is
spent on terrestrial TV broadcast. Basing your claim that Scotland is
subsidised on such a small part of their spending is ridiculous.

Additionally, there are three "ITV" channels broadcasting to Scotland,
STV North, STV Central and Border, of a total of 15 regions. Again, this
is 20% of broadcasting for 12% of the population.

Border is an English broacaster based in Carlisle which covers parts
of Scotland too.

Additionally, I haven't yet heard BBC Radio England, or BBC Radio Anglish,
yet Radio Scotland and BBC Alba are funded from a proportion of english
licence fees, despite our not being able to receive either for the most
part.

I await a reasoned rebuttal...

Old February 25th 17, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 14:27:17 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

I watch Amazon prime and it has a few good shows, but most of it is
dross, just like all the other channels; very expensively produced
dross.

Yes, some of it is rubbish, but if a programme has an individual
price, as some do, you can choose whether you think it's worth paying
for. You can't do that with the BBC; you have to pay for all of it in
order to watch any of it, or even if you only want to watch programmes
from other broadcasters and none from the BBC at all. And it costs you
about twice as much as Amazon or Netflix.

You usually can't tell whether a programme is worth watching until
you've started watching it, and they won't give you your money back if
you think it's rubbish. This is why I think subscription is a better way
to pay for programmes than per programme.

You can't tell this with books either, but the usual practice of
paying for them individually has been perfectly satisfactory since
long before the invention of television. You just read the blurbs, the
reviews, and comments by friends who have already read it, and if
you've ever read anything by the same author you consider that as
well, and then you just take a chance. You win some, you lose some,
and either way you get to keep the book afterwards.

I wouldn't want to join a subscription service just to read books that
I could never possess. Not even a voluntary subscription service, and
certainly not a compulsory one that would criminalise me for not
joining. Somehow we seem to have sleepwalked into a situation where we
accept an utterly absurd way of paying for something just because it's
the way it's always been done and we've forgotten how to look at it
objectively and ask sensible questions about it.

Old February 25th 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Roderick
Stewart
wrote:
I wouldn't want to join a subscription service just to read books that I
could never possess. Not even a voluntary subscription service, and
certainly not a compulsory one that would criminalise me for not
joining. Somehow we seem to have sleepwalked into a situation where we
accept an utterly absurd way of paying for something just because it's
the way it's always been done and we've forgotten how to look at it
objectively and ask sensible questions about it.

Yet that "absurd" system delivers so much, and at a lower cost per quality
programme hour than the commercial alternatives. So in practice it works
well despite attempts to stick derogatory lables on it.