A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

New TV channel for BBC in Scotland



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old February 23rd 17, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 320
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland



"David Kennedy" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/02/2017 19:03, Scott wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39042666

I am curious about some of this:

1. If the new channel is to be called BBC Scotland, will there still
be a BBC One Scotland? Will this not cause confusion?


No

2. It is claimed there will be a 'prominent' slot on the epg so I
assume this means availability on Freeview. I assume SD as there is
no mention of HD?


Not available for 18 months [ish] so plenty of time to work that out

3. The report goes on to say this will be available on iPlayer in HD
in Scotland and across UK. Does this breach platform neutrality rules
by offering HD on one platform and not the others?


See 2

4. If broadcast from 7pm to midnight every evening where will the
capacity come from? Alba meant losing most of the radio stations so
what will be lost to make way for this new channel?


There are plenty of spare TV channels


there mighty be spare "channels", there isn't spare bandwidth to transmit
them in




  #12  
Old February 23rd 17, 11:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 320
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland



"David Kennedy" wrote in message
...
On 23/02/2017 09:01, Norman Wells wrote:
"David Kennedy" wrote in
message
o.uk...

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care
enough
to deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the rest
of
the country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to either force
you
to watch it if you don't want to or prevent you from watching it if you
do.


But meanwhile, I'll be paying for it through my licence fee.


No. You won't. That's part of their grievance - and part of my reply. Most
of the Scottish license fee is spent topping up English programming...


which are then broadcast in Scotland

or do you/they not want to have any of the BBC's normal programming


tim



  #13  
Old February 23rd 17, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,126
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

In article , charles
wrote:

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into
balance.


if Scotland only got programmes made in Scotland, that would make sense.
But, most of the broadcast hours are made centrally and need to be paid
for.


That's presumably why there has been a tendency to at least make it look
like programme making (and thus employment and money into the local
economy) has been redistributed in recent years. AIUI the policy now is to
try and spread where work is done to be more representitive of where the
people are who are paying.

How successful or sensible that may be is another matter. But may ease the
problem of having most of the work concentrated in London where the base
costs are highest.

Jim

--
Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

  #14  
Old February 23rd 17, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,498
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

On 23/02/2017 09:33, Jim Lesurf wrote:

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into balance.


It doesn't matter where they spend the money. It's equality of benefit
between the regions that matters.

bill

  #16  
Old February 23rd 17, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 810
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
...
In article , charles
wrote:

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into
balance.


if Scotland only got programmes made in Scotland, that would make sense.
But, most of the broadcast hours are made centrally and need to be paid
for.


That's presumably why there has been a tendency to at least make it look
like programme making (and thus employment and money into the local
economy) has been redistributed in recent years. AIUI the policy now is to
try and spread where work is done to be more representitive of where the
people are who are paying.

How successful or sensible that may be is another matter. But may ease the
problem of having most of the work concentrated in London where the base
costs are highest.


Scotland's population is only 8.4% of the UK's, which is quite tiny.

It wouldn't get far trying to run its own national television service on 8.4% of the
current licence revenue.

  #17  
Old February 23rd 17, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 320
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland



"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
...
In article , charles
wrote:

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into
balance.


if Scotland only got programmes made in Scotland, that would make sense.
But, most of the broadcast hours are made centrally and need to be paid
for.


That's presumably why there has been a tendency to at least make it look
like programme making (and thus employment and money into the local
economy) has been redistributed in recent years. AIUI the policy now is
to
try and spread where work is done to be more representitive of where the
people are who are paying.

How successful or sensible that may be is another matter. But may ease
the
problem of having most of the work concentrated in London where the base
costs are highest.


Scotland's population is only 8.4% of the UK's, which is quite tiny.

It wouldn't get far trying to run its own national television service on
8.4% of the current licence revenue.


if that's the case how does Norway, or for that matter Iceland, manage to do
it?

tim



  #18  
Old February 23rd 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,171
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 00:07:05 +0000, David Kennedy
wrote:

[snip]

4. If broadcast from 7pm to midnight every evening where will the
capacity come from? Alba meant losing most of the radio stations so
what will be lost to make way for this new channel?


There are plenty of spare TV channels


Are you sure 'channels' and 'capacity' are the same thing? If there
are plenty of channels, as you say, why were several radio stations
removed from Freeview to make way for BBC Alba?

5. This includes 19m in new money and 11m from programmes currently
made for BBC Two in Scotland. Does this imply an end to BBC Two
Scotland?


Why should it? It's not BBC 1 Scotland simply BBC Scotland


I was asking about BBC Two Scotland (not BBC One). The statement says
'this includes ... 11m from programmes currently made for BBC Two in
Scotland'. I therefore wondered if this means an end to the Scottish
opt-outs on BBC Two.

6. What is the point of offering an integrated hour-long news
programme at 9pm on a minority channel rather than the 'Scottish Six'
on BBC One? This sounds like incurring the same cost for a very much
smaller audience.


To make up for the howls of protest coming from the Scots over many things -
such as not being interested in the problems of the English Health Service
which dominates the news and also to shut them up about the fact that for
every pound raised in Scotland in license fees 50pence of it gets spent in
England.


That's the argument for a Scottish-made news programme. It's not the
argument for putting it on a minority channel at 9pm. By your logic,
many more howls would be muted by replacing the Six O'Clock news and
Reporting Scotland (which attract large audiences) than by putting a
new programme on a minor channel at 9pm).

An extra 30 million - the reported cost of the service - per year doesn't
sound mush like the same cost to me.


It certainly would be much the same if the programme planned for 9pm
on BBC Scotland were to be shown at 6pm on BBC One Scotland instead.
The same cost would be incurred three hours earlier.

So, my questions:-

1. Are you Scottish?


Yes.

2. Do you feel a) deprived, b) jealous, c) Indifferent?


About what? Being Scottish? Independence? Having a new TV channel?

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care enough to
deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?


I have an open mind about it. If there is a genuine Scottish
perspective, this would be a good thing. If it is the same packages
and same script voiced at Pacific Quay instead of at Broadcasting
House then I could see better ways of using the money.

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the rest of the
country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to either force you to
watch it if you don't want to or prevent you from watching it if you do.


I think you will find that applying the level of distinctiveness of
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to all the English regions would
result in a huge increase in the licence fee. I don't mind,
personally, but some others might object.
  #19  
Old February 23rd 17, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 810
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

"tim..." wrote in message
news
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
...
"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
...
In article , charles
wrote:

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into
balance.

if Scotland only got programmes made in Scotland, that would make sense.
But, most of the broadcast hours are made centrally and need to be paid
for.

That's presumably why there has been a tendency to at least make it look
like programme making (and thus employment and money into the local
economy) has been redistributed in recent years. AIUI the policy now is to
try and spread where work is done to be more representitive of where the
people are who are paying.

How successful or sensible that may be is another matter. But may ease the
problem of having most of the work concentrated in London where the base
costs are highest.


Scotland's population is only 8.4% of the UK's, which is quite tiny.

It wouldn't get far trying to run its own national television service on 8.4% of
the current licence revenue.


if that's the case how does Norway, or for that matter Iceland, manage to do it?


By buying in or creating cheap dross presumably, a bit like Movies4Men 2.

  #20  
Old February 23rd 17, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,176
Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 17:52:06 -0000, "Norman Wells"
wrote:

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
...
In article , charles
wrote:

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into
balance.


if Scotland only got programmes made in Scotland, that would make sense.
But, most of the broadcast hours are made centrally and need to be paid
for.


That's presumably why there has been a tendency to at least make it look
like programme making (and thus employment and money into the local
economy) has been redistributed in recent years. AIUI the policy now is to
try and spread where work is done to be more representitive of where the
people are who are paying.

How successful or sensible that may be is another matter. But may ease the
problem of having most of the work concentrated in London where the base
costs are highest.


Scotland's population is only 8.4% of the UK's, which is quite tiny.

It wouldn't get far trying to run its own national television service on 8.4% of the
current licence revenue.


They could copy the Irish Republic. RTE is partly funded by the TV
licence and partly by advertising income and other commercial revenue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raidi%..._ expenditure



--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.