4K TVs

Old February 21st 17, 10:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

Default 4K TVs

Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the people
who buy them watch?

I have only found a few 4K programmes from the likes of Netflix. Is
there any hope that BBC, ITV or C4 will start broadcasting 4K channels
on satellite or the Internet?

--
Michael Chare

---

Old February 22nd 17, 08:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 23:40:12 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the people
who buy them watch?

I have only found a few 4K programmes from the likes of Netflix. Is
there any hope that BBC, ITV or C4 will start broadcasting 4K channels
on satellite or the Internet?

Very little, I would suggest. The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice
and is regularly whittled away to provide more bandwidth for other
services, and the potential improvement in changing to 4K (even if it
were done properly, which it probably wouldn't be) is negligible on
anything other than the sort of humungously big screens that not
everybody will want or could afford. So not much chance of it
happening for a long time.

Old February 22nd 17, 10:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

wrote:

Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the
people who buy them watch?

I have only found a few 4K programmes from the likes of Netflix. Is
there any hope that BBC, ITV or C4 will start broadcasting 4K
channels on satellite or the Internet?

Very little, I would suggest. The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice
and is regularly whittled away to provide more bandwidth for other
services, and the potential improvement in changing to 4K (even if it
were done properly, which it probably wouldn't be) is negligible on
anything other than the sort of humungously big screens that not
everybody will want or could afford. So not much chance of it
happening for a long time.

Rod.

Not that I am a sceptic, but the fact that you have a very logical
argument to explain why it won't happen probably means that the powers
that be will make it happen, to the detriment of all other services
that currently use that bandwidth.

It sounds a little like DAB, it could be so much better if it had been
done properly.

You read it here first!

--
Davey.
Old February 22nd 17, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

wrote:

Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the people
who buy them watch?

I have only found a few 4K programmes from the likes of Netflix. Is
there any hope that BBC, ITV or C4 will start broadcasting 4K channels
on satellite or the Internet?

Very little, I would suggest. The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice
and is regularly whittled away to provide more bandwidth for other
services, and the potential improvement in changing to 4K (even if it
were done properly, which it probably wouldn't be) is negligible on
anything other than the sort of humungously big screens that not
everybody will want or could afford. So not much chance of it
happening for a long time.

Rod.

AIUI F1 on Sky 408 will be in 4K this eason.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Old February 22nd 17, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Peter Crosland wrote:
AIUI F1 on Sky 408 will be in 4K this eason.

I think it is more accurate to say that "Sky F1 on 408 will be simulcast in
4k this year"

Not having the correct SkyQ box I have read that it offers 4K if the current
programme is available in this format.

I also believe that Sky have just one 4K channel which is switched between
different simulcasts - but stand to be corrected on this!

Old February 22nd 17, 04:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 23:40:14 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the people
who buy them watch?

I don't have a 4k TV only full HD, but if I replace I will get a 4k one because the premium is quite small and this should future proof hte set for a decade (as a full HD one did in 2009).

I do have a 4k monitor on this PC - I use it all the time and it is fantastic.

Old February 22nd 17, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 23:40:14 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the
people
who buy them watch?

I don't have a 4k TV only full HD, but if I replace I will get a 4k
one because the premium is quite small and this should future proof
hte set for a decade (as a full HD one did in 2009).

I do have a 4k monitor on this PC - I use it all the time and it is
fantastic.

I have only found a few 4K programmes from the likes of Netflix. Is
there any hope that BBC, ITV or C4 will start broadcasting 4K
channels
on satellite or the Internet?

That would be 4K that was the follow-up to 3D - which has just quietly
been abandonned?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com