4K TVs

Old February 24th 17, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default 4K TVs

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 23/02/2017 21:15, Vir Campestris wrote:

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

I can't either.

Have you tried turning yourself off and then on again?

Old February 24th 17, 10:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 21:15:47 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/02/2017 09:04, Roderick Stewart wrote:
The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice

Whaddaya mean "Not quite adequate"?

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

They weren't recorded at HD, only something similar to SD, then on Sony https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-matic

Andy

Old February 24th 17, 01:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/02/2017 09:29, Norman Wells wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 23/02/2017 21:15, Vir Campestris wrote:

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

I can't either.

Have you tried turning yourself off and then on again?

I can't turn myself on without a struggle so I don't risk it.

Old February 26th 17, 07:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 24/02/2017 11:31, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Thursday, 23 February 2017 21:15:47 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/02/2017 09:04, Roderick Stewart wrote:
The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice

Whaddaya mean "Not quite adequate"?

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

They weren't recorded at HD, only something similar to SD, then on Sony https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-matic

I know.

And yet DTV HD shows visible digital artefacts in the programmes.

Andy

Old February 26th 17, 08:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 26 February 2017 20:52:42 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/02/2017 11:31, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Thursday, 23 February 2017 21:15:47 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/02/2017 09:04, Roderick Stewart wrote:
The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice

Whaddaya mean "Not quite adequate"?

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

They weren't recorded at HD, only something similar to SD, then on Sony https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-matic

I know.

And yet DTV HD shows visible digital artefacts in the programmes.

Are you sure the artefacts are digital?

I suppose if the source material is very fast moving and the channel's allowed bandwidth is low then you might see some anyway.

The other possibility is that the transcription was done many years ago.

Andy

Old February 28th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 17:53:58 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Ah yes Weird Al's song Franks 2000in tv strikes again then.
Brian

I think his "I Can't Watch This" track with its mention of "80 channels
of junk" (American cable TV reference) is rather more to the point made
by that famous "Never mind the quality, feel the width." TV programme
title.

Lyrics to the song: "I Can't Watch This" (followed by lyrics to Frank's
2,000 inch TV)

To the tune of MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch this!"

I can't watch this
I can't watch this
I can't watch this
I can't watch this

My my my my TV makes me so bored
Makes me say oh my Lord
What is this garbage here?
Wanna cover my eyes and plug my ears
It sucks, and that's no lie
It's about as much fun as watching paint dry
Lowers my IQ one notch
And that's the reason why, uh, I can't watch

I told you homeboy...I can't watch this
Yeah, nothin' but trash and you know
I can't watch his
Poke out my eyes, man...I can't watch this
Yo, gimme that remote control...I can't watch this

Talkin' bout sick shows
There's America's Funniest Home Videos
I can't believe my eyes
When I see the kind of stuff that wins first prize
Somebody's poor old mom
Falls down off the roof, lands right on the lawn
Face first on a rake
I hear they got it on the seventeenth take
That's funny as a kick in the crotch
And that kinda show, uh, I can't watch

Yo, I told you...I can't watch this
Change the channel now, man...I can't watch this
Yo, pass the TV Guide over here, sucker...I can't watch this

Cosby show and Roseanne
Think I've taken 'bout as much as I can
Judge Wapner, oh my
You gotta be Rainman to like this guy
Thirtysomething's all right
If you like hearing yuppies whining all night
Can't stand Twin Peaks
Wish they'd lynch those donut-eatin' freaks
Those Siskel and Ebert bums
Oughtta go home and just sit on their thumbs

That's word because you now...I can't watch this
I can't watch this
Break it down!

Here's how to order-money back guarantee-Removes tough stains
fast-it tastes more like fresh peanuts-They keep going and going-don't
hate me because I'm beautiful-Could be dandruff-our prices are
insaaaane!!!

Stop! Prime time!
I'm pretty sure I'll be sick
If I have to watch another stupid pet trick
Or that guy with the real flat hair
That goes "woof woof woof" and waves
His fist in the air
Or those weird talk shows
About transsexual Nazi Eskimos
They're rude, and crude and vile
Just for a minute let's flip down the dial

Flip, flip, flip; yecch, I can't watch this
Look, man, I can't watch this
I can't take this torture no more, I can't
I can't watch this
Pay the bills, station break
Break it down!

Operators are standing by-cubic zirconium necklace-You're soaking in
it-and our fabulous swimsuit issue-When you've got a headache this
big-read the book-this is your brain on drugs-I've fallen and I can't get
up!!!

Stop! Cable time!
HBO and Playboy, Showtime and MTV
I might like them more after my lobotomy
Now why did I ever pay for this junk?
I hooked up eighty channels, and each one stunk
Just brainless blood and guts, and mindless T & A
It's awful, it's putrid, it's crummy, it's stupid, Gonna throw my set away

I can't watch this, I can't watch this
I can't watch this, yeah, I can't watch this
I told you, can't watch this
Too hip, can't watch this
Get me outta here, can't watch this

Lyrics for: "Frank's 2000 inch TV"

Risin' above the city, blocking out the noonday sun
It dwarfs the mighty redwoods and it towers over everyone
I still remember when that delivery truck came down our block
What a lucky guy, I hear he got the last one in stock
And the neighbours are just green
They say, "That's the biggest screen we've ever seen!"

It's Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see
Frank's 2000" TV

There's Frank's remote control, you can look at it but don't touch it,
please
'Cause Frank's the one in charge and he decides what everybody sees
The picture's crystal clear and everything is magnified
Robert DeNiro's mole has got to be ten feet wide
Everybody in the town
Can hear those 90,000 watts of Dolby Sound
And I'm mighty proud to say
Now I can watch "The Simpsons" from 30 blocks away

On Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see
Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see

I'm gonna get one of my own real soon
It's like having a drive-in movie in your own living room
Whoa, hey now, hey no na na na now
Hey now, Hey now na na now

Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see
You won't believe it
Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see
Frank's 2000" TV
Get a 2-year warranty on parts and labour
Frank's 2000" TV
Frank's 2000" TV

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 1st 17, 08:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 26/02/2017 21:37, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 26 February 2017 20:52:42 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:

And yet DTV HD shows visible digital artefacts in the programmes.

Are you sure the artefacts are digital?

I'm sure.

I suppose if the source material is very fast moving and the channel's allowed bandwidth is low then you might see some anyway.

Oh yes. It's quite noticeable that their codec puts a lower importance
on encoding movement in dark areas.

Like Jimi Hendrix' hair.

If anyone with an afro - which is dark, but has texture - is moving the
hair noticeably lags the rest of the movement. There was also one a few
weeks back shot in a moving train, with a row of bench seats. There were
not enough movement vectors in the mpeg stream, and the seats were all
over the place.

Classical recording methods do not cause these types of effect - they
are instantaneous without any interframe compression.

There was another one on the latest Sky at Night - B&W low resolution
pictures from the Apollo landings. With obvious quantisation in the sky.
It didn't look as if there were more than about 5 bits of luminance.
Perhaps it was 6, but certainly not 8. And 8 looks rubbish on B&W
without dithering.

The other possibility is that the transcription was done many years ago.

Then they should have done it with a high enough bitrate so the errors
weren't obvious, then downscaled it for transmission.

Andy
Old March 4th 17, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 24/02/2017 11:31, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Thursday, 23 February 2017 21:15:47 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/02/2017 09:04, Roderick Stewart wrote:
The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice

Whaddaya mean "Not quite adequate"?

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

They weren't recorded at HD, only something similar to SD, then on Sony https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-matic

U Matic was only used for news reports. Early-mid 1980s TOTPs (as all
programmes of that era) were recorded on 1 inch C Format tape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_C...pe_C_videotape

Composite format, but full luma bandwidth of 5+ MHz. The problem with
all composite recorded footage is the PAL footprints and noise soak
up an awful lot of emission encoding headroom.

--
Mark