4K TVs

Old February 22nd 17, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

Default 4K TVs

On 22/02/2017 18:30, Woody wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 23:40:14 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the
people
who buy them watch?

I don't have a 4k TV only full HD, but if I replace I will get a 4k
one because the premium is quite small and this should future proof
hte set for a decade (as a full HD one did in 2009).

I do have a 4k monitor on this PC - I use it all the time and it is
fantastic.

I have only found a few 4K programmes from the likes of Netflix. Is
there any hope that BBC, ITV or C4 will start broadcasting 4K
channels
on satellite or the Internet?

That would be 4K that was the follow-up to 3D - which has just quietly
been abandonned?

Yes, I would argue that 4K is a much more obvious improvement over
normal Full HD than 3D. 3D usually required the use of special glasses,
and everyone watching the TV has to use them.

It is just a pity that there is not much 4K material to watch
particularly if you don't subscribe to Sky.

--
Michael Chare

---

Old February 22nd 17, 11:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]

On 22/02/2017 18:30, Woody wrote:

That would be 4K that was the follow-up to 3D - which has just quietly
been abandonned?

Nah, the progression from HD.

A bit like aeroplanes are the progression from the Hindenburg...

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
Old February 22nd 17, 11:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]

On 22/02/2017 22:25, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Freesat are [were] running a test Chanel 998(?)

Old February 23rd 17, 07:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 22/02/17 22:25, Michael Chare wrote:

It is just a pity that there is not much 4K material to watch
particularly if you don't subscribe to Sky.

Quite a lot of 4K stuff on YouTube. Whether or not it's worth watching
is up to you. And remember, if you are on a limited download contract
with your ISP, 4K will eat into that in a big way!

--

Jeff
Old February 23rd 17, 10:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 22 February 2017 18:30:19 UTC, Woody wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 23:40:14 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the
people
who buy them watch?

I don't have a 4k TV only full HD, but if I replace I will get a 4k
one because the premium is quite small and this should future proof
hte set for a decade (as a full HD one did in 2009).

I do have a 4k monitor on this PC - I use it all the time and it is
fantastic.

I have only found a few 4K programmes from the likes of Netflix. Is
there any hope that BBC, ITV or C4 will start broadcasting 4K
channels
on satellite or the Internet?

That would be 4K that was the follow-up to 3D - which has just quietly
been abandoned?

No that is 4k as a substantial improvement in resolution over full HD (let alone what passes for HD in the USA).

3D has a number of drawbacks - expensive cameras, need to wear glasses, cardboard cut out effect, poor spatiality at full HD resolution.

4K OTOH is easy - even my phone had a camera with 4k resolution several years ago, works well on large screens (where pixellation can be visible at full HD). Visually it is great - I have been using a 4k monitor on my PC since 2014 and can vouch for that first hand. The marginal cost is now low. The main drawback [at the moment] is the amount of bandwidth needed to get it. It uses a lot of terrestrial or satellite bandwidth, receivers are still rare and from the web, my PC suffers a little jerkiness at 4k when content is received live on my internet connection (max 40Mbps), but unlike 3D, I expect 4k content will become increasing common over time.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 23rd 17, 08:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 22/02/2017 09:04, Roderick Stewart wrote:
The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice

Whaddaya mean "Not quite adequate"?

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

Andy
Old February 23rd 17, 09:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 23/02/2017 21:15, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/02/2017 09:04, Roderick Stewart wrote:
The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice

Whaddaya mean "Not quite adequate"?

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

....or shots of Jimmy Savile or Gary Glitter.

--
Max Demian
Old February 24th 17, 01:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 23/02/2017 21:15, Vir Campestris wrote:

It's not even capable of carrying the old 1980s tapes of Top of the Pops
we watch. It can't cope with Afro hairdos on moving people.

I can't either.

Old February 24th 17, 08:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

En el artículo , Jeff Layman
escribió:

And remember, if you are on a limited download contract
with your ISP, 4K will eat into that in a big way!

And your disc space. Don't ask me how I know...

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10