Missing channels?

Old February 21st 17, 04:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Missing channels?

On 20/02/2017 10:41, Scott wrote:

PS If Scotland has another referendum and votes for independence, is
there any guarantee that BBC terrestrial channels will continue? (I
assume satellite reception will be guaranteed as it would be
impossible to focus the beams so as to exclude Scotland?)

Yes they can do that.

Old February 24th 17, 01:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

"Kenny" wrote in message

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 14:51:17 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:43 -0000, "Woody"

wrote:

"Kenny" wrote in message
news:[email protected] w.com...
I'm in Derry, NI and wondering why I don't get CH4 HD and some
other
channels. According to
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings
I should be getting all channels in NI. The "missing" ones are
listed as from Mux COM7 HD which doesn't appear in the list for
the
Limavady transmitter I'm using, here's what's the
Limavady
BBC A D3&4 BBC B HD SDN ARQ A ARQ B
This is a main, not relay, transmitter and I'm fairly certain the
"missing" channels like CH4 HD, Vintage TV and Aljazeera were
there
there before they started messing about at the analogue switch
off.
Have I lost these extra channels permanently?

Kenny Cargill

Never say never, but clearly Limavady is not one of the main sites
that has the extended channel set, Divis is the only site carrying
them in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately it doesn't look as though
there are any main stations in Scotland that could help either.
Ultimately at present your only option for 4HD is Freesat.

However opinion on this newsgroup is that is well less than a decade
the whole of the UK will move to DVB-T2 which is currently used for
HD, and that, as it is a more efficient modulation technique,
could
mean you will get the additional channels.

The DigitalUK website coverage checker gives this list of channels
available at an address in Main Street, Limavady, from the Limavady
transmitter. It includes CH4 HD:
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragec...ert4i9q5hvn9i3

--

Read it again Peter, he lives in Derry and Limavady is his serving Tx.
Only Divis transmits Com7/8 and the maps indicate that on the high

OK.

I'd better have a lie down and a snooze to get my brain working fully!

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

I DID make a mistake, I meant BBC4 HD, not CH4 HD. I can also tune to
Sheriff's Mountain but they have even less again!

Quick follow up. The "missing" channels I can get via the inbuilt satellite
tuner on my Sony TV, problem there was/is that it was very difficult to
arrange the channels since I was getting all the BBC and ITV local
variations, foreign channels etc.. Discovered Sony Edit, a free limited
version of SetEdit, he
https://www.sony.de/support/de/conte...ls/KD-55X8505C,
can be used in English or German. Had a problem initially with the TV
apparently loading my sorted channel list but reverting back to the
original. After a bit of head scratching thought I'd try disabling the apps
I had installed on the TV, adblocker, file explorer, launcher and a few
others and it works at last. Seems to be a quirk with Android that apps are
still running even when you think they're stopped. I also have an unused
Ross satellite box, not Freesat, and I might try if same procedure works
with that. Kenny