A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Missing channels?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old February 20th 17, 04:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 380
Default Missing channels?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:33:27 +0000, Davey wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:18:53 -0000 "Kenny" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news
And of course all older boxes unable to get the hd ones now will end up
as door stops.
Brian


Kenny,

Your Windows Live Mail has pushed everything to which you replied into
the signature part of your message. I thought at first that you had
replied, but had not added anything, until I happened to scroll down to
the bottom of the message. The result is most confusing.


Abso-fekin-lutely +1

--
Johnny B Good
  #12  
Old February 20th 17, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,505
Default Missing channels?

If these tvs run Android, does this mean they also have talkback on them to
speak the menues etc?
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Kenny" wrote in message
om...
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news
And of course all older boxes unable to get the hd ones now will end up as
door stops.
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...
I'm in Derry, NI and wondering why I don't get CH4 HD and some other
channels. According to
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings
I should be getting all channels in NI. The "missing" ones are listed
as from Mux COM7 HD which doesn't appear in the list for the Limavady
transmitter I'm using, here's what's the
Limavady
BBC A D3&4 BBC B HD SDN ARQ A ARQ B
This is a main, not relay, transmitter and I'm fairly certain the
"missing" channels like CH4 HD, Vintage TV and Aljazeera were there
there before they started messing about at the analogue switch off.
Have I lost these extra channels permanently?

Kenny Cargill


Never say never, but clearly Limavady is not one of the main sites that
has the extended channel set, Divis is the only site carrying them in
Northern Ireland. Unfortunately it doesn't look as though there are any
main stations in Scotland that could help either. Ultimately at present
your only option for 4HD is Freesat.

However opinion on this newsgroup is that is well less than a decade the
whole of the UK will move to DVB-T2 which is currently used for HD, and
that, as it is a more efficient modulation technique, could mean you
will get the additional channels.



--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com


Thanks for the replies, I suspected that I wouldn't get these channels now
but don't understand why I did before the big switch off? Fairly new Sony
Android TV, it has a satellite tuner but not Freesat. It tunes all the
local variations of all the channels and it's a real hassle trying to sort
them into a logical order. I have done it before but if there's an update
on the TV you have to start from scratch again. I've downloaded the Sony
Sideview apk and the App Freesat apk, will post back when I've tried them



  #13  
Old February 20th 17, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,505
Default Missing channels?

I always top post. This is outlook Express.
Its far better for me if everyone top posts as to find the start of a
bottom posted reply is not trivial if you have no sight.
However I've been around this merry go round before and hence will ignore
any hate mail about it.
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:18:53 -0000
"Kenny" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news
And of course all older boxes unable to get the hd ones now will end
up as door stops.
Brian


Kenny,

Your Windows Live Mail has pushed everything to which you replied into
the signature part of your message. I thought at first that you had
replied, but had not added anything, until I happened to scroll down to
the bottom of the message. The result is most confusing.

--
Davey.



  #14  
Old February 20th 17, 05:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,185
Default Missing channels?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 14:51:17 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:


"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:43 -0000, "Woody"

wrote:


"Kenny" wrote in message
news:[email protected] w.com...
I'm in Derry, NI and wondering why I don't get CH4 HD and some
other
channels. According to
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings
I should be getting all channels in NI. The "missing" ones are
listed as from Mux COM7 HD which doesn't appear in the list for
the
Limavady transmitter I'm using, here's what's the
Limavady
BBC A D3&4 BBC B HD SDN ARQ A ARQ B
This is a main, not relay, transmitter and I'm fairly certain the
"missing" channels like CH4 HD, Vintage TV and Aljazeera were
there
there before they started messing about at the analogue switch
off.
Have I lost these extra channels permanently?

Kenny Cargill

Never say never, but clearly Limavady is not one of the main sites
that has the extended channel set, Divis is the only site carrying
them in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately it doesn't look as though
there are any main stations in Scotland that could help either.
Ultimately at present your only option for 4HD is Freesat.

However opinion on this newsgroup is that is well less than a decade
the whole of the UK will move to DVB-T2 which is currently used for
HD, and that, as it is a more efficient modulation technique,
could
mean you will get the additional channels.


The DigitalUK website coverage checker gives this list of channels
available at an address in Main Street, Limavady, from the Limavady
transmitter. It includes CH4 HD:
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragec...ert4i9q5hvn9i3

--


Read it again Peter, he lives in Derry and Limavady is his serving Tx.
Only Divis transmits Com7/8 and the maps indicate that on the high
ground SE of Derry it should be available but not in the city.


OK.

I'd better have a lie down and a snooze to get my brain working fully!

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #15  
Old February 20th 17, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,505
Default Missing channels?

When was that written though one asks. Was there not some moving around of
channels between the muxs at some point?
I do know this however, if the folk responsible for organising freeview
had been making a bomb, it would never have gone off.
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:43 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:


"Kenny" wrote in message
news:[email protected] w.com...
I'm in Derry, NI and wondering why I don't get CH4 HD and some other
channels. According to
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings
I should be getting all channels in NI. The "missing" ones are
listed as from Mux COM7 HD which doesn't appear in the list for the
Limavady transmitter I'm using, here's what's the
Limavady
BBC A D3&4 BBC B HD SDN ARQ A ARQ B
This is a main, not relay, transmitter and I'm fairly certain the
"missing" channels like CH4 HD, Vintage TV and Aljazeera were there
there before they started messing about at the analogue switch off.
Have I lost these extra channels permanently?

Kenny Cargill

Never say never, but clearly Limavady is not one of the main sites
that has the extended channel set, Divis is the only site carrying
them in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately it doesn't look as though
there are any main stations in Scotland that could help either.
Ultimately at present your only option for 4HD is Freesat.

However opinion on this newsgroup is that is well less than a decade
the whole of the UK will move to DVB-T2 which is currently used for
HD, and that, as it is a more efficient modulation technique, could
mean you will get the additional channels.


The DigitalUK website coverage checker gives this list of channels
available at an address in Main Street, Limavady, from the Limavady
transmitter. It includes CH4 HD:
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragec...ert4i9q5hvn9i3

--


Read it again Peter, he lives in Derry and Limavady is his serving Tx.
Only Divis transmits Com7/8 and the maps indicate that on the high ground
SE of Derry it should be available but not in the city.


--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com



  #16  
Old February 20th 17, 08:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 358
Default Missing channels?

On 20/02/2017 10:41, Scott wrote:
Also, when you say UK will move to DVB-T2 does this mean HD quality or
will there be SD quality for the likes of BBC Four instead?


There are SD channels already on DVB-T2 muxes.

Currently the limit on picture quality is not so much the SD/HD
resolution difference, but the number of bits per channel allocated.

I will not be surprised to find that all channels are at a quality
similar to SD as it was at launch. Excepting a few "SD" channels that
are even worse.

Andy
  #17  
Old February 20th 17, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 70
Default Missing channels?

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
...

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 14:51:17 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:


"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:49:43 -0000, "Woody"

wrote:


"Kenny" wrote in message
news:[email protected] w.com...
I'm in Derry, NI and wondering why I don't get CH4 HD and some
other
channels. According to
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings
I should be getting all channels in NI. The "missing" ones are
listed as from Mux COM7 HD which doesn't appear in the list for
the
Limavady transmitter I'm using, here's what's the
Limavady
BBC A D3&4 BBC B HD SDN ARQ A ARQ B
This is a main, not relay, transmitter and I'm fairly certain the
"missing" channels like CH4 HD, Vintage TV and Aljazeera were
there
there before they started messing about at the analogue switch
off.
Have I lost these extra channels permanently?

Kenny Cargill

Never say never, but clearly Limavady is not one of the main sites
that has the extended channel set, Divis is the only site carrying
them in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately it doesn't look as though
there are any main stations in Scotland that could help either.
Ultimately at present your only option for 4HD is Freesat.

However opinion on this newsgroup is that is well less than a decade
the whole of the UK will move to DVB-T2 which is currently used for
HD, and that, as it is a more efficient modulation technique,
could
mean you will get the additional channels.


The DigitalUK website coverage checker gives this list of channels
available at an address in Main Street, Limavady, from the Limavady
transmitter. It includes CH4 HD:
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragec...ert4i9q5hvn9i3

--


Read it again Peter, he lives in Derry and Limavady is his serving Tx.
Only Divis transmits Com7/8 and the maps indicate that on the high
ground SE of Derry it should be available but not in the city.


OK.

I'd better have a lie down and a snooze to get my brain working fully!

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

I DID make a mistake, I meant BBC4 HD, not CH4 HD. I can also tune to
Sheriff's Mountain but they have even less again!

  #18  
Old February 20th 17, 09:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,171
Default Missing channels?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:24:12 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I always top post. This is outlook Express.
Its far better for me if everyone top posts as to find the start of
a bottom posted reply is not trivial if you have no sight.
However I've been around this merry go round before and hence will
ignore any hate mail about it.
Brian


Brian,

I was replying to Kenny, not to you. If you also go under the name of
Kenny, I apologise. If not, my post to Kenny stands.

--
Davey.
  #19  
Old February 20th 17, 11:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 364
Default Missing channels?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:09:47 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:24:12 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I always top post. This is outlook Express.
Its far better for me if everyone top posts as to find the start of
a bottom posted reply is not trivial if you have no sight.
However I've been around this merry go round before and hence will
ignore any hate mail about it.
Brian


Brian,

I was replying to Kenny, not to you. If you also go under the name of
Kenny, I apologise. If not, my post to Kenny stands.


Nevertheless it was Brian's sig sep that done it.

Lookout Distress attempts to quote correctly even if it doesn't always
succeed. WLM doesn't even seem to try, so is even less fit for purpose
than OE, if that's possible.


--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
  #20  
Old February 21st 17, 01:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 380
Default Missing channels?

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 00:48:57 +0000, Graham. wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:09:47 +0000, Davey wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:24:12 -0000 "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I always top post. This is outlook Express.
Its far better for me if everyone top posts as to find the start of
a bottom posted reply is not trivial if you have no sight.
However I've been around this merry go round before and hence will
ignore any hate mail about it.
Brian


Brian,

I was replying to Kenny, not to you. If you also go under the name of
Kenny, I apologise. If not, my post to Kenny stands.


Nevertheless it was Brian's sig sep that done it.

Lookout Distress attempts to quote correctly even if it doesn't always
succeed. WLM doesn't even seem to try, so is even less fit for purpose
than OE, if that's possible.


As Kenny's follow up proved, it's possible. :-(

--
Johnny B Good
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.