Humax overheating

Old February 24th 17, 07:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Default Update: Humax overheating

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news

"Tim+" wrote in message
news Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

On the advice of an acclaimed bicycle maintenance book I used PTFE
fortified
bicycle grease on the gear change twistgrip - about a week later
the
plastic
housing split open as I was changing gear.

Yeah but, twist grip gear changers are only fitted on bikes at the
cheap
end of the market so are unlikely to be high quality in the first
place.

Was that remark supposed to belittle me?

No, just pointing out that a twistgrip gearchange disintegrating isn't
necessarily proof of a lubricant induced problem.

The guy in Halfords announced "they only last a couple of years" as he
merrily squirted GT85 on a showroom model - they're ABS and the solvent
in
penetrating oil will destroy it.

The one on my bike was so old I had trouble finding a catalogue example
of
the bike - it worked just fine till I lubricated it.

I'm quite pleased that you don't believe solvents damage ABS plastics -
you're the one that's going to come a cropper.

I don't believe that solvents can't destroy ABS plastics, my view is
that
when an item fitted to a cheap bike disintegrates it's not necessarily
an
indication of anything other than the fact that it was a cheaply made
component in the first place. The lubricant *may* have been a factor
but
IMO, it's not proved by one incident.

You're not just a ****wit - you're a very obstinate ****wit.

No, just making the mistake of arguing with a troll.

Your "just one incident" is a well recognised problem across all ranges
of
products that ABS plastics don't tolerate exposure to hydrocarbon
solvents.

Did I ever say otherwise?

You did indeed; "just one incident" - I'm the one who made the mistake of
arguing with a troll.

*sigh*

The effect of solvents on certain plastics (ABS etc) is well documented.
The *addition* of your personal anecdote of the failure of one component of
a low spec bike does not in itself add a useful data point.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 24th 17, 08:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

Move the goal posts all you want - I cited 3 examples.

Old February 25th 17, 04:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Humax overheating

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:36:17 +0000
Indy Jess John wrote:

So I hunted for a AUB0512LB and found this one:
http://tinyurl.com/havx87e

Whether you want to take a gamble on it is up to you. I have gone as
far as I can from a theoretical point of view.

Well, that's the correct beast.
Your link is for one that costs £4.29, plus £2.49 p+p. Then Amazon has
one for £48, and it's also used!

Maplin have one for £1, but it looks as though it is fixed speed. But
so what? Noise might be the problem, but it should keep it cool.

I took the existing one out and lubed it today, but it doesn't seem to
have improved its cooling function. I'll let it run for a while longer,
and see how it does. Stabilising at ~ 36 D at the moment, and that's
with a 70% min. speed. Mind you, Humax doesn't even run the fan below
49 C!

--
Davey.

Old February 25th 17, 06:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

news
Indy Jess John wrote:

So I hunted for a AUB0512LB and found this one:
http://tinyurl.com/havx87e

Whether you want to take a gamble on it is up to you. I have gone as
far as I can from a theoretical point of view.

Well, that's the correct beast.
Your link is for one that costs £4.29, plus £2.49 p+p. Then Amazon has
one for £48, and it's also used!

Maplin have one for £1, but it looks as though it is fixed speed. But
so what? Noise might be the problem, but it should keep it cool.

I took the existing one out and lubed it today, but it doesn't seem to
have improved its cooling function. I'll let it run for a while longer,
and see how it does. Stabilising at ~ 36 D at the moment, and that's
with a 70% min. speed. Mind you, Humax doesn't even run the fan below
49 C!

Purely guesswork on my part - but I suspect the correct fan is a special
quiet flow type.

They tend to use slow-spin hard drives for the same reason.

If its going to be expensive; I'd have a look on Freegle - you might get a
box that can be used instead, or a suitable parts donor.

The fans are usually off the shelf item, so you may not have to strip
exactly the same box to get one the same.

Old February 25th 17, 07:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:51:24 -0000
"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote:

news
Indy Jess John wrote:

[...]

I think I'll go with the £4.29 + £2.49 p&p for now.

What temperature do they normally run at? Maybe somebody here can let
me know, please.

--
Davey.

Old February 25th 17, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:51:24 -0000
"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote:

news
Indy Jess John wrote:

[...]

Electrolytic capacitors are the most vulnerable to temperature - common or
garden ones are rated at 85C, many of the capacitor refurb kits contain 105c
rated parts.

In general; component life expectancy is closely related to temperature -
about 40 - 50c is a realistic target to aim for, anything less is a bonus.

Seagate hard drives are pretty common - there may be a product data sheet
that states an optimum temperature.

Seagate drives are ****e, so they bought out everyone else - you could get
lucky and find your HDD is a Samsung in disguise - their website might be
worth a look as well.

Old February 26th 17, 02:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article , lid
says...

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:51:24 -0000
"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote:

news
Indy Jess John wrote:

[...]

You mean the Humax?

Before I installed the fan software it was always going over 55 deg C
(which may or may not have been the reason why my disk drive failed).

But with the fan software, at the moment I have it set to run at 40% and
the drive reports 40 deg C. In the Summer I was running it at 42% to get
the same temperature.

And it is currently recording one show while I am watching another.
Old February 26th 17, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 03:11:33 -0000
Yellow wrote:

The fans are usually off the shelf item, so you may not have to
strip exactly the same box to get one the same.

I think I'll go with the £4.29 + £2.49 p&p for now.

What temperature do they normally run at? Maybe somebody here can
let me know, please.

You mean the Humax?

Before I installed the fan software it was always going over 55 deg C
(which may or may not have been the reason why my disk drive failed).

But with the fan software, at the moment I have it set to run at 40%
and the drive reports 40 deg C. In the Summer I was running it at 42%
to get the same temperature.

And it is currently recording one show while I am watching another.

Thanks a lot. With my current setting of 70%, it seems to settle out at
about 36-38 C. I could drop the speed, and raise the temperature, but
like this, it should help extend the life of the disk, so I think I'll
leave it, and order a spare fan. I might try dropping the speed in 10%
steps, and monitor the result.

--
Davey.