Humax overheating

Old February 22nd 17, 09:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Default Update: Humax overheating

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

On the advice of an acclaimed bicycle maintenance book I used PTFE
fortified
bicycle grease on the gear change twistgrip - about a week later the
plastic
housing split open as I was changing gear.

Yeah but, twist grip gear changers are only fitted on bikes at the cheap
end of the market so are unlikely to be high quality in the first place.

Was that remark supposed to belittle me?

No, just pointing out that a twistgrip gearchange disintegrating isn't
necessarily proof of a lubricant induced problem.

The guy in Halfords announced "they only last a couple of years" as he
merrily squirted GT85 on a showroom model - they're ABS and the solvent in
penetrating oil will destroy it.

The one on my bike was so old I had trouble finding a catalogue example of
the bike - it worked just fine till I lubricated it.

I'm quite pleased that you don't believe solvents damage ABS plastics -
you're the one that's going to come a cropper.

I don't believe that solvents can't destroy ABS plastics, my view is that
when an item fitted to a cheap bike disintegrates it's not necessarily an
indication of anything other than the fact that it was a cheaply made
component in the first place. The lubricant *may* have been a factor but
IMO, it's not proved by one incident.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 22nd 17, 09:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

You're not just a ****wit - you're a very obstinate ****wit.

Your "just one incident" is a well recognised problem across all ranges of
products that ABS plastics don't tolerate exposure to hydrocarbon solvents.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - clean a motorcycle helmet with solvents and then use
it.................................

Old February 22nd 17, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

No, just making the mistake of arguing with a troll.

Your "just one incident" is a well recognised problem across all ranges of
products that ABS plastics don't tolerate exposure to hydrocarbon solvents.

Did I ever say otherwise?

Who knows what your twistgrip was made of. We only have your word for it. I
repeat, a cheap twistgrip made of an unknown plastic disintegrating is not
news and does not constitute *proof* of anything.

You may be too stupid to understand that this does deny the effect of some
lubricants on some plastics.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 22nd 17, 11:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/02/2017 08:38, Ian Jackson wrote:

I once totally wrecked a complicated multipole switch with it.

Buy you're not supposed to apply WD40 with a hammer!

Now you tell me

Old February 22nd 17, 11:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/02/2017 10:19, Ian Jackson wrote:

As for destroying Bill's switch,

It jammed it solid and immovable. It was a sealed switch. I squirted the
WD40 onto a slot at the end. I squirted oil in but after a week it was
still solid. It was in a spectrum analyser. I gave it away.

Old February 23rd 17, 07:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 19:49:48 -0000, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

On the advice of an acclaimed bicycle maintenance book I used PTFE fortified
bicycle grease on the gear change twistgrip - about a week later the plastic
housing split open as I was changing gear.

I used some sort of lubricant spray (LPS1 IIRC - a very much better
equivalent of WD40 and pretty well inert) on something on/near a bike's
wheels (this was in the mid-'80s, so memory has faded) and the spoke-mounted
reflectors crazed and cracked. I assumed it was due to the propellant
(hydrocarbon) on polystyrene.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old February 23rd 17, 10:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 23/02/2017 00:24, Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/02/2017 10:19, Ian Jackson wrote:

As for destroying Bill's switch,

It jammed it solid and immovable. It was a sealed switch. I squirted the
WD40 onto a slot at the end. I squirted oil in but after a week it was
still solid. It was in a spectrum analyser. I gave it away.

That sometimes happens with 'proper' switch cleaning fluid - it's best
to work the switch/pot after application to stop it from jamming (and
determine whether the fluid is a good idea on the component).

--
Max Demian
Old February 23rd 17, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

You did indeed; "just one incident" - I'm the one who made the mistake of
arguing with a troll.

Old February 23rd 17, 07:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 19:49:48 -0000, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

On the advice of an acclaimed bicycle maintenance book I used PTFE
fortified
bicycle grease on the gear change twistgrip - about a week later the
plastic
housing split open as I was changing gear.

I used some sort of lubricant spray (LPS1 IIRC - a very much better
equivalent of WD40 and pretty well inert) on something on/near a bike's
wheels (this was in the mid-'80s, so memory has faded) and the
spoke-mounted
reflectors crazed and cracked. I assumed it was due to the propellant
(hydrocarbon) on polystyrene.

AFAIK: all the solvent based propellants have since been banned because they
damage the ozone layer - but there's still plenty of things in aerosols that
destroy ABS/polycarbonate plastics.

Its not just solvents - ABS motorcycle helmets have a "life expectancy"
because they degrade gradually from the small amounts of leaked oil thrown
up in road spray.

Old February 23rd 17, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/02/2017 00:24, Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/02/2017 10:19, Ian Jackson wrote:

As for destroying Bill's switch,

It jammed it solid and immovable. It was a sealed switch. I squirted the
WD40 onto a slot at the end. I squirted oil in but after a week it was
still solid. It was in a spectrum analyser. I gave it away.

That sometimes happens with 'proper' switch cleaning fluid - it's best to
work the switch/pot after application to stop it from jamming (and
determine whether the fluid is a good idea on the component).

That happened to me, as I mentioned in another post - I squirted switch
cleaner on a VCR mode switch, it turned into tiny granules as I stood there
watching it.

Luckily, most switch bodies are made of a very hard thermosetting plastic
that isn't affected - but you have to watch out for the ABS ones.