Humax overheating

Old February 22nd 17, 04:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Update: Humax overheating

On 21/02/2017 21:47, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 20/02/2017 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Both I take it?

WD40 will sometimes unstick things as the solvents go in. Then they
evaporate, and leave the sticky Water Displacing coating which is
where the product got its name.

It's not a lubricant.

Not only that - but it washes out or dilutes any lubricant that remains
from before.

In extreme cases it can do more harm than good.

I once totally wrecked a complicated multipole switch with it.

Old February 22nd 17, 07:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 21/02/2017 21:47, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 20/02/2017 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Both I take it?

WD40 will sometimes unstick things as the solvents go in. Then they
evaporate, and leave the sticky Water Displacing coating which is
where the product got its name.

It's not a lubricant.

Not only that - but it washes out or dilutes any lubricant that remains
from before.

In extreme cases it can do more harm than good.

I once totally wrecked a complicated multipole switch with it.

Buy you're not supposed to apply WD40 with a hammer!
--
Ian
Old February 22nd 17, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/02/2017 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Both I take it?

WD40 will sometimes unstick things as the solvents go in. Then they
evaporate, and leave the sticky Water Displacing coating which is where
the product got its name.

It's not a lubricant.

Exactly my experience with it. If you use it in the classic
application of getting a cold, damp petrol engine started by
squirting it on the distributor and leads (OK, old petrol engine)
then it works at the time but a few weeks later the sticky residue has
made all sorts of dirt, dust etc. stick to the HT leads etc. The
final result is often a worse problem than the simple damp that was
originally dispersed.

--
Chris Green
·
Old February 22nd 17, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Chris Green
writes
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/02/2017 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Both I take it?

WD40 will sometimes unstick things as the solvents go in. Then they
evaporate, and leave the sticky Water Displacing coating which is where
the product got its name.

It's not a lubricant.

Exactly my experience with it. If you use it in the classic
application of getting a cold, damp petrol engine started by
squirting it on the distributor and leads (OK, old petrol engine)
then it works at the time but a few weeks later the sticky residue has
made all sorts of dirt, dust etc. stick to the HT leads etc. The
final result is often a worse problem than the simple damp that was
originally dispersed.

But who would spray a lubricant on a distributor and HT leads? I
wouldn't choose to (certainly not without intending to clean things up
at the earliest opportunity).

OK, WD40 disperses water, but it also leaves an oily film which never
really disappears. It is this which inhibits rust and corrosion.

As for destroying Bill's switch, I have never found any plastic or
rubber that WD40 had any bad effect on. That said, I once immersed some
small plastic parts (acrylic, I think) in white sprit to clean them, and
they immediately crazed and then disintegrated into small pieces - so
**** does sometimes happen!

--
Ian
Old February 22nd 17, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

But it could have acted as a good insulator

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 22nd 17, 10:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

Not if the residual oily film eventually attracts a load of dust etc.

WD40 is a great general-purpose thing always to have handy, but you do
need to be a bit circumspect about what you use it for,
--
Ian
Old February 22nd 17, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 14:28:00 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 08:22:23 -0000
"Paul D Smith" wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:26:48 -0000, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

I've seen someone inject fresh oil into fan bearings with a
diabetic syringe.

Yep. Use a light machine oil, 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil. A small
drop on the end of a pin applied once or twice is all it needs.
++++++++
If you need to replace it, consider whether you can fit a slightly
larger fan and look for the 'silent' fans sold for media player PCs.
Did this years ago with an old Xbox v1 and the result was a much
quieter box - a larger fan can often also be run slower for the same
throughput.

Out of interest, how hot does this box get? I've got the Fox T2
(Freeview) and it doesn't even have a fan.

Paul DS.

Until very recently, I have never watched its temperature. But when it
locked up the other evening, it was reporting an Air Temp. of 55 C.
Now, with a minimum fan speed of about 50%, it seems to stay in the
35~40 C range, even when recording two programmes at once, if that
makes any effective difference.

Noise has never been a problem, and I am hard of hearing!

I have a couple of busy days ahead, so this 'lube job' will have to
wait a little bit. But I will take dimensions and label data of the
fan while it's out of the box.

No response yet from Humax, surprise, surprise.

Received from Humax:

"Hi,

Thank you for contacting Humax.

Sadly we no longer manufacture the HDR-FOXT2 so we no longer offer a
repair and can not advise the spec on spare parts.

Best Regards, etc."

At least they replied, which is more than some companies would have
done. But they could at least have given me the details of the fan. Oh
well.

--
Davey.

Old February 22nd 17, 12:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

This was surely one of its advertised uses.

--
Chris Green
·
Old February 22nd 17, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article , lid
says...

wrote:

[...]

Does the fan not have a label on it?
Old February 22nd 17, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 14:17:50 -0000
Yellow wrote:

In article , lid
says...

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but I cannot read it without removing it from the Humax. I had
hoped to be able to order a new one, and then to be able to do
a straight swap, only dismantling the PVR once. But as I have since
found that it is working, although sluggishly, I will remove it,
photograph the label, lubricate the fan, and re-install it. I will then
have its details with which to work and find a replacement.
It might be the same as the one from a different unit described earlier,
but it might not.

--
Davey.