Humax overheating

Old February 21st 17, 01:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Update: Humax overheating

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 08:22:23 -0000
"Paul D Smith" wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:26:48 -0000, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

I've seen someone inject fresh oil into fan bearings with a diabetic
syringe.

Yep. Use a light machine oil, 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil. A small
drop on the end of a pin applied once or twice is all it needs.
++++++++
If you need to replace it, consider whether you can fit a slightly
larger fan and look for the 'silent' fans sold for media player PCs.
Did this years ago with an old Xbox v1 and the result was a much
quieter box - a larger fan can often also be run slower for the same
throughput.

Out of interest, how hot does this box get? I've got the Fox T2
(Freeview) and it doesn't even have a fan.

Paul DS.

Until very recently, I have never watched its temperature. But when it
locked up the other evening, it was reporting an Air Temp. of 55 C.
Now, with a minimum fan speed of about 50%, it seems to stay in the
35~40 C range, even when recording two programmes at once, if that
makes any effective difference.

Noise has never been a problem, and I am hard of hearing!

I have a couple of busy days ahead, so this 'lube job' will have to wait
a little bit. But I will take dimensions and label data of the fan
while it's out of the box.

No response yet from Humax, surprise, surprise.

--
Davey.
Old February 21st 17, 03:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Paul D Smith" wrote in message
news

wrote:

I've seen someone inject fresh oil into fan bearings with a diabetic
syringe.

Yep. Use a light machine oil, 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil. A small
drop on the end of a pin applied once or twice is all it needs.
++++++++
If you need to replace it, consider whether you can fit a slightly
larger fan and look for the 'silent' fans sold for media player PCs.
Did this years ago with an old Xbox v1 and the result was a much
quieter box - a larger fan can often also be run slower for the same
throughput.

Out of interest, how hot does this box get? I've got the Fox T2
(Freeview) and it doesn't even have a fan.

You must have a strange one. I have two Fox-T2's and they both have a
fan and both make a slight whistle when they are running - annoying in
the bedroom!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 21st 17, 05:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Benderthe.evilrobot
writes

"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:56:01 +0000
Davey wrote:

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any controls,
not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and powered it up
again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's
fine for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have
had no indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as I
am assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has been in
exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is new, and it's
not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope? If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is it
really that simple, and are there any other things to look for while
it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

I have today discovered that the fan appears to be working, by setting
the minimum fan speed at 80%, and watching the temperature drop. I am
now trying to find a sensible lower speed value.
So the fan is running, but not very efficiently, which means it may be
dirty, almost dead, or just very tired. It looks as though I can run it,
for now, but need to source a replacement. Humax have not responded
to my enquiry, as yet.

I've seen someone inject fresh oil into fan bearings with a diabetic
syringe.

They don't all have a rubber bung in the hole where the bearing is, I
usually peel back the label so I can see what's going on. If you don't
spill any oil, the label will usually stick back down.

I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Ensure where the label was is completely cleaned and de-greased using
isopropyl alcohol or meths, and if the label isn't very sticky, cut a
piece of duct tape to the same size and stick it on instead.

That's exactly what I do when needed.

I wouldn't use WD40 because its a very light fraction oil that evaporates
eventually. GT85 is the same thing, but enhanced with PTFE. It leaves a low
friction residue after its dried out. Penetrating oil is a poor choice for
lubricating - I use it for wetting bush bearings so I can run some neat
Slick 50 in.

Old February 21st 17, 05:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 08:22:23 -0000, Paul D Smith wrote:

I've got the Fox T2 (Freeview) and it doesn't even have a fan.

"Fox T2" is ambiguous. Are you talking about the HDR or the HD?
The former has a fan and the latter doesn't.
So your statement as it stands is, er, ********.
Old February 21st 17, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Benderthe.evilrobot
writes

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Ensure where the label was is completely cleaned and de-greased using
isopropyl alcohol or meths, and if the label isn't very sticky, cut a
piece of duct tape to the same size and stick it on instead.

That's exactly what I do when needed.

I wouldn't use WD40 because its a very light fraction oil that
evaporates eventually. GT85 is the same thing, but enhanced with PTFE.
It leaves a low friction residue after its dried out. Penetrating oil
is a poor choice for lubricating - I use it for wetting bush bearings
so I can run some neat Slick 50 in.

Mention WD40, and someone will come along and tell you it's not what you
should be using. However, although it's OK for a while, and leaves an
oily film, I agree that it's not (literally) the perfect thing for a
long-term lubrication.

That said, I had a PC fan which was absolutely totally seized up solid,
and actually needed the touch of the tip of a very hot soldering iron on
the end of the spindle to get it freed. I couldn't find either of my
cans of my vintage 3-in-1 (bought in the late 60s!), so as a temporary
measure I resorted to WD40. The fan was still running fine over a year
later when I eventually I did a 'proper' job.
--
Ian
Old February 21st 17, 08:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 20/02/2017 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Both I take it?

WD40 will sometimes unstick things as the solvents go in. Then they
evaporate, and leave the sticky Water Displacing coating which is where
the product got its name.

It's not a lubricant.

Andy
Old February 21st 17, 08:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Vir
Campestris writes

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=WD40
https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts
--
Ian
Old February 21st 17, 08:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 20/02/2017 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Both I take it?

WD40 will sometimes unstick things as the solvents go in. Then they
evaporate, and leave the sticky Water Displacing coating which is where
the product got its name.

It's not a lubricant.

Not only that - but it washes out or dilutes any lubricant that remains from
before.

In extreme cases it can do more harm than good.

Old February 21st 17, 09:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Benderthe.evilrobot
writes

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 20/02/2017 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Both I take it?

WD40 will sometimes unstick things as the solvents go in. Then they
evaporate, and leave the sticky Water Displacing coating which is where
the product got its name.

It's not a lubricant.

Not only that - but it washes out or dilutes any lubricant that remains
from before.

In extreme cases it can do more harm than good.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=WD40
https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts
--
Ian

The "special blend of lubricants" doesn't replace the original lubricants it
washed out.

Its a light fraction lubricant that evaporates - bearings can and do seize
after washing out with WD40.