Humax overheating

Old February 19th 17, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Humax overheating

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:25:04 +0000
Pete Forman wrote:

I think so. That would seem the logical conclusion. it's supposed to
be running at 24% minimum, and it doesn't run at all.

See if you can get a voltmeter onto the fan wires. If there is zero
reading then it is probably the electronics driving the fan or the PSU
at fault.

One of those things that may be possible, but not easy, like climbing
Mt. Everest!

--
Davey.
Old February 20th 17, 10:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Update: Humax overheating

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:56:01 +0000
Davey wrote:

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any controls,
not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and powered it up
again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's
fine for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have
had no indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as I
am assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has been in
exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is new, and it's
not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope? If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is it
really that simple, and are there any other things to look for while
it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

I have today discovered that the fan appears to be working, by setting
the minimum fan speed at 80%, and watching the temperature drop. I am
now trying to find a sensible lower speed value.
So the fan is running, but not very efficiently, which means it may be
dirty, almost dead, or just very tired. It looks as though I can run it,
for now, but need to source a replacement. Humax have not responded
to my enquiry, as yet.

--
Davey.

Old February 20th 17, 10:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

news
Davey wrote:

[...]

I've seen someone inject fresh oil into fan bearings with a diabetic
syringe.

They don't all have a rubber bung in the hole where the bearing is, I
usually peel back the label so I can see what's going on. If you don't spill
any oil, the label will usually stick back down.

Old February 20th 17, 11:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Benderthe.evilrobot
writes

news
Davey wrote:

[...]

I've oiled computer fans (with WD40 and 3-in-1).

Ensure where the label was is completely cleaned and de-greased using
isopropyl alcohol or meths, and if the label isn't very sticky, cut a
piece of duct tape to the same size and stick it on instead.
--
Ian
Old February 21st 17, 12:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 23:06:10 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Benderthe.evilrobot
writes

news
Davey wrote:

[...]

Yes, I'll see what happens when I take it apart, and will report.

--
Davey.
Old February 21st 17, 02:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article , lid
says...

Davey wrote:

[...]

That is promising because at least it points to the fan rather than the
Humax itself.

Old February 21st 17, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:26:48 -0000, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

I've seen someone inject fresh oil into fan bearings with a diabetic
syringe.

Yep. Use a light machine oil, 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil. A small
drop on the end of a pin applied once or twice is all it needs.
++++++++
If you need to replace it, consider whether you can fit a slightly larger
fan and look for the 'silent' fans sold for media player PCs. Did this
years ago with an old Xbox v1 and the result was a much quieter box - a
larger fan can often also be run slower for the same throughput.

Out of interest, how hot does this box get? I've got the Fox T2 (Freeview)
and it doesn't even have a fan.

Paul DS.

Old February 21st 17, 09:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

news
Davey wrote:

[...]

I predict

"reset to factory defaults"

and if that doesn't work

"try it twice"

as it is their standard reply to all faults IME

tim

--
Davey.

Old February 21st 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

wrote:

I've seen someone inject fresh oil into fan bearings with a diabetic
syringe.

Yep. Use a light machine oil, 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil. A small
drop on the end of a pin applied once or twice is all it needs.

I happen to have in stock both a 3-in-1 equivalent, and some sewing
machine oil. How convenient!

--
Davey.
Old February 21st 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 02:38:57 -0000
Yellow wrote:

In article , lid

[...]