Humax overheating

Old February 18th 17, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Humax overheating

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:36:17 +0000
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 18/02/2017 12:35, Davey wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:56:01 +0000
wrote:

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any
controls, not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and
powered it up again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's
fine for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have
had no indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as
I am assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has
been in exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is
new, and it's not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope? If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare.
Is it really that simple, and are there any other things to look
for while it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

Before doing this, I installed the firmware package for the fan
control, and set it at 24% minimum speed.

Opening it up was simply a matter of, indeed, undoing three screws,
with my convenient Swiss Army Knife. But amazingly, the interior is
absolutely spotless, no dust, no cat fur, nada, as far as I can see.

So I plugged the unit into a convenient power source, and waited
for the fan to run. It did not. Blowing at it makes it rotate a
little, and then return. I will leave it for a while, in case it
needs some time before starting, but maybe I need to install a new
fan. Is there a good known source, and specification? I somehow
doubt that Humax will be interested now. I would like to run it
with the external fan until I have a new fan available, before
dismantling it, unless it just entails undoing four screw and
lifting the HDD casing away? Maybe Maplin do a suitable fan? I
looked for youtube videos, but only found lots of reviews and
guides to update HDDs etc.

All help most welcome.

I had a quick look at the Maplin website. This was the only one that
seemed to have 3 wires but I can't say if the connector is correct.
http://tinyurl.com/ztvngbn
It also doesn't say if the speed is variable. If you want to contact
Maplins, they might know.

I haven't got a Fox-T2 to look at, so I did a hunt for parts for one,
and found this: http://tinyurl.com/zpcq4r7

That shows a hard drive cradle with a fan attached. There are no
dimensions, but it did give me a view of the fan model number
AUB0512LB. I am slightly suspicious of the information because
although the seller is advertising it for Humax HDR-Fox T2 his
write-up admits it came from a Humax DTR-D1000 and it says it will
probably fit other models.

I am assuming he is correct.

So I hunted for a AUB0512LB and found this one:
http://tinyurl.com/havx87e

Whether you want to take a gamble on it is up to you. I have gone as
far as I can from a theoretical point of view.

Jim

Thank you very much for the detective work.
The cradle looks good, without disassembling my re-assembled unit
again. That is a good starting point, thanks.
There is enough info. there to get data for confirmation of whether
it's right. As always, does a unit which 'may have signs of cosmetic
wear', and may possibly not be the correct model, merit purchase? I
think a new fan unit would be the best. Meanwhile, I have my mini
desktop fan to do the job, and I will only turn the Humax on when I
need it to view something. In Sleep mode, it seems to be perfectly
happy and cool.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

[...]

Happy to help.
Good luck.

Old February 18th 17, 01:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article , lid
says...

Davey wrote:

[...]

I would suspect simple fan failure.

No idea what you need to replace it with but the fan might well have a
label and if you are lucky you can then purchase an equivalent off ebay.
Or you could try Humax themselves for the spare part.

Or ask on the Humax community forum, if anyone knows what you would need
to get.

Talking of which, this thread is interesting, if maybe not directly
helpful.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/fan-n...regardless-of-
temperature.3137/#post-37428

or shorter

http://tinyurl.com/gsdkyct
Old February 18th 17, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:59:10 -0000
Yellow wrote:

In article , lid
says...

Davey wrote:

[...]

But as you say, interesting, thanks.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:45:23 -0000
Yellow wrote:

Perhaps your internal fan has just packed up?

I think so. That would seem the logical conclusion. it's supposed to be
running at 24% minimum, and it doesn't run at all.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:45:23 -0000
Yellow wrote:

The other puzzle is that there is an indicator on the front panel
which shows, in a tiny font, 'FULL', but the 1TB HDD is only ~70%
full. I can't say whether this is new or not, I never usually look
that closely at the front panel, I always use the remote control
for everything.

I have never seen that on mine.

It's high up on the left side of the display panel. I did find the dots
in a box that is the HDD guide, too.

--
Davey.

Old February 18th 17, 08:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Davey" wrote in message
news
[...]

Any excuse you get - is time to inspect the electrolytic capacitors on the
PSU.

At end of life, the tops of the cans sometimes bulge. there are other tell
tale signs, dodgy electrolytics often run hot - they build up a head of
steam and can expel electrolyte through the end seal instead of venting the
top, when they cool they suck the top of the can in slightly. Running hot
can also deteriorate the plastic sleeve - the capacitor can look generally
"tired". Any electrolytic running hot should be replaced - but before you
feel how hot they are, the ones on the PSU primary side; the cans will be
live!

Some component supply houses offer recap kits for various popular
equipments.

Old February 18th 17, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
That temperature seems a little low for it to complain. I bet there is
something else going on or perhaps a chip with no temp sensor is getting
even hotter.

Its not "danger level" too hot - but its high enough for a negative impact
on component life.

Electrolytic capacitors are the most vulnerable.

Old February 19th 17, 07:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pete Forman[_2_]

Yellow wrote:

Perhaps your internal fan has just packed up?

I think so. That would seem the logical conclusion. it's supposed to
be running at 24% minimum, and it doesn't run at all.

See if you can get a voltmeter onto the fan wires. If there is zero
reading then it is probably the electronics driving the fan or the PSU
at fault.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com