Humax HDR - 2000T

Old February 12th 17, 12:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alaric

Default Humax HDR - 2000T

"Alaric" wrote in message news
I bought a refurbished Humax HDR 2000t from Amazon in October last year and
it has worked perfectly till about 2pm today. However, when I tried to use
it at about 6pm I got a picture but could not get it to work otherwise. I
cannot change channels nor can I initiate any other functions. I switched it
off at the mains plug, waited a bit and switched it back on but still
nothing. I changed the batteries on the remote but still nothing. Before I
get on to Amazon and ask for a replacement, can it be that I am missing a
trick somehow?

Helpful comments will be appreciated.

Alaric

Thanks again to those who responded helpfully. There was the one exception.
Special thanks are however,due to Indy Jess John who suggested there was a
remote possibility that my "new" batteries may have contained a dud and that
he had found one like that once. After I had replaced the batteries to no
good effect I had removed them and reinserted them carefully, though this
made no difference. However, on the basis of what had been suggested I
removed both "new" batteries and replaced them. Immediately the remote was
back to being fully functional and all is well again. I shall test the
batteries I have just replaced some time soon to detect which one was
defective though I have never come across a "dud" before over the many years
I have been wandering over the face of the planet.

Alaric.

Old February 12th 17, 01:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 12/02/2017 13:51, Alaric wrote:

[...]

Glad to have helped.

You can imagine how long it took me to work it out the first time! I
always assume it is a possibility now, though it hasn't happened to me a
second time yet. It has to you though.

Old February 12th 17, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:32:14 +0000, Pete Forman
wrote:

writes:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 01:47:04 +0000, Bill Wright

Try the remote on one of those cameras in shops where they display the
picture.

Bill

And have a good story ready for the security guard.

"I'm just testing my remote."

To see if I can come back and set the bomb off,

We drove a mate potty once ,he had got a job in Rumbelows and by trial
end error we found the remote of the telly we rented in our shared
house worked some in the shop, I think they were Ferguson ,Baird
variants. We walked by and turned them off.changed channel ,put the
volume to max etc pointing the remote through the open door.
Even better if he was actually showing one to a customer.

Some years ago I went to an amusement park. It was at the end of the
season and practically deserted. A shooting gallery worked by the rifle
sending an IR flash to the target sensor to make it jump around when
hit. I triggered the flash on my camera and set off all the targets at
once.

I had an 8mm (tape) camcorder and I discovered an extra pad on the
remote control that didn't have a corresponding button. When shorted
out momentarily it put the camera into "service mode" and gave you a
myriad of options most of which could render the camera useless unless
they were carefully returned to their original values.

It did occur to me that one could stand outside Dixons window and do a
lot of damage.

There are many other examples of this, but usually they require
intervention on the device as well as the remote, usually by powering
it up with a combination of buttons pressed.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old February 12th 17, 08:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 12/02/2017 08:16, Tim+ wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 07:14:27 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

A rudimentary way to test the remote, is to point your phone camera at
the lens and you should see the IR LED flash when you press the
buttons.

On a new phone that will almost certainly not work as they usually have IR
filters on the camera lens. BUT, if it also has a "selfie" camera you may
well find that this one will see IR.

It works with a Galaxy S7, which is fairly new. Both cameras.

Rod.

Okay then, all new phones with *good* cameras. ;-)

Tim

No because some good cameras have an IR filter.

Old February 12th 17, 09:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Bill Wright wrote:
wrote:

A rudimentary way to test the remote, is to point your phone camera at
the lens and you should see the IR LED flash when you press the
buttons.

On a new phone that will almost certainly not work as they usually have IR
filters on the camera lens. BUT, if it also has a "selfie" camera you may
well find that this one will see IR.

It works with a Galaxy S7, which is fairly new. Both cameras.

Rod.

Okay then, all new phones with *good* cameras. ;-)

Tim

No because some good cameras have an IR filter.

Read my comment again. My point was that all good cameras have IR
filtering, only cheaper ones leave it out. If your mobile phone or digital
camera sees IR, it's because of penny pinching by the manufacturer.
Clearly the Galaxy S7 camera is not as good as it could be.

A common compromise is to include IR filtering on the main camera in a
mobile phone but not the lower res "selfie" camera.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 12th 17, 09:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:39:00 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

No because some good cameras have an IR filter.

Read my comment again. My point was that all good cameras have IR
filtering, only cheaper ones leave it out. If your mobile phone or digital
camera sees IR, it's because of penny pinching by the manufacturer.
Clearly the Galaxy S7 camera is not as good as it could be.

The absence of an IR filter on the S7 doesn't seem to have had any
adverse effect on the pictures it can take, and it can be used to
check remote controls *as well* as taking pictures. Therefore, it
could be argued that it is a *better* camera than one which does not
have this extra feature.

A common compromise is to include IR filtering on the main camera in a
mobile phone but not the lower res "selfie" camera.

The "selfie" camera has noticeably lower resolution, and I don't think
the colour rendition is quite as good (though this could just be a
consequence of the different lighting because it looks in the opposite
direction), but both cameras can see remote controls equally well.

Old February 12th 17, 11:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Tim+ wrote:

Read my comment again. My point was that all good cameras have IR
filtering, only cheaper ones leave it out.

Not arguing, just curious. Why have IR filtering?

--
Davey.
Old February 13th 17, 01:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Tim+ wrote:

Read my comment again. My point was that all good cameras have IR
filtering, only cheaper ones leave it out.

Not arguing, just curious. Why have IR filtering?

IR sensitivity can affect colour accuracy. Some cheap CCTV cameras with
IR LEDS and no switchable IR filter have terrible colour rendition.

Old February 13th 17, 03:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

wrote:

No because some good cameras have an IR filter.

Read my comment again. My point was that all good cameras have IR
filtering, only cheaper ones leave it out. If your mobile phone or digital
camera sees IR, it's because of penny pinching by the manufacturer.
Clearly the Galaxy S7 camera is not as good as it could be.

The absence of an IR filter on the S7 doesn't seem to have had any
adverse effect on the pictures it can take, and it can be used to
check remote controls *as well* as taking pictures. Therefore, it
could be argued that it is a *better* camera than one which does not
have this extra feature.

Um, more useful for checking remotes, not better for accurate colour
rendition.

Can you see IR with your naked eye? No. So why should a camera that
renders IR in the visible light spectrum when taking pictures take better
pictures? It's turning something invisible into a visible artefact in your
photos.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls