Pigeon poo protection

Old February 9th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default Pigeon poo protection

I was looking well feeling, an old aerial a person had taken of their roof a
while ago, and the comment was it would still be OK today if not for the
bloody pigeons their **** rotted away the metal.
I have to say that certainly under the encrusted ' 'Guano' was a heck of a
rusted away self tapping screw in a and the unit had a couple of elements
missing so one can deduce that the screws seem to be particularly
susceptible to the acid in the **** one supposes.
Oh well if things never broke and lasted forever then nobody would ever stay
in business I guess.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old February 9th 17, 11:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/02/2017 18:41, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I was looking well feeling, an old aerial a person had taken of their roof a
while ago, and the comment was it would still be OK today if not for the
bloody pigeons their **** rotted away the metal.

There was a bridge in America which collapsed to the detriment of the
motorists using it at the time, and the official explanation was that
the metal had been rotted over time by pigeon poo.

It does seem to be a recognised effect.

Maybe some parts of an aerial were more susceptible than others to such
damage, but all metal parts will eventually succumb to corrosion caused
by pigeons.

Old February 10th 17, 04:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/02/2017 00:12, Indy Jess John wrote:

Maybe some parts of an aerial were more susceptible than others to such
damage, but all metal parts will eventually succumb to corrosion caused
by pigeons.

Strangely enough I didn't notice it between 1967 and 2015 when I was an
aerial installer.

Old February 10th 17, 06:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 10/02/17 05:38, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/02/2017 00:12, Indy Jess John wrote:

Maybe some parts of an aerial were more susceptible than others to such
damage, but all metal parts will eventually succumb to corrosion caused
by pigeons.

Strangely enough I didn't notice it between 1967 and 2015 when I was an
aerial installer.

Bill

I'd just been thinking more-or-less the same thing. Why aren't there
collapsed aerials all over the place? Vast numbers of pigeons are in
every town and city, often to be see on aerials And not just pigeons -
all sorts of birds. I can't believe it's only PS which is corrosive.

Maybe other sources of corrosion (acid rain, etc) should be considered,
too. Long, old thread here on effect of corrosion on aerial function.
Oddly enough, no mention of birds at all!
http://www.dxmaps.com/discuss/aluminium.html

--

Jeff
Old February 10th 17, 07:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ah I suspect that its the diet they are on that affects the acidity of the
pooh.
I'm waiting for Donald the Trump to ban pigeons any day now.

news

Old February 10th 17, 07:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm lets get a grant from the EU to study this one.

Of course it could easily be that certain people install crap aerials as
well. I don't know the maker of the one I was talking about but it pre dated
the plastic saddles that clamped the curved elements, but I don't think it
was a genuine antiference one either.

news

Old February 10th 17, 10:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 10/02/2017 08:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah I suspect that its the diet they are on that affects the acidity of the
pooh.
I'm waiting for Donald the Trump to ban pigeons any day now.

Red Ken did it in Trafalgar Square. Then Boris banned paddling in the
fountains enforced by ****y "heritage wardens".

--
Max Demian
Old February 10th 17, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 09/02/2017 18:41, Brian-Gaff wrote:

I have to say that certainly under the encrusted ' 'Guano' was a heck of a
rusted away self tapping screw in a and the unit had a couple of elements
missing so one can deduce that the screws seem to be particularly
susceptible to the acid in the **** one supposes.

Pigeon poo or galvanic action/corrosion because the screw was a
different metal to that of the rest of the aerial

Old February 11th 17, 01:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 11/02/2017 09:12, Brian Gaff wrote:

I assume that urinating in the fountains is also frowned upon then is it?

I don't know. I expect the Heritage Wardens will have to look it up in
their book of rules.

--
Max Demian