Radio 2

Old February 7th 17, 10:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default Radio 2

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 17:55:15 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

When I was student I worked in a tin box factory, shoveled sand in a waterworks
and sorted mail and parcels at Xmas. Music provided in the GPO made the sorting
shifts go faster. Music While You Work was provided because it was thought to
help productivity.

https://youtu.be/xLhUK23coA8

Memories!

The BBC was still playing this stuff in the 1960s, even after the
advent of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, as if the rock'nroll decade,
the 1950s, had never happened. But for the likes of Radio Luxembourg
and the so-called "pirate" offshore stations, the public might never
have discovered that anything other than classical, light orchestral,
and wartime dance band music existed.

Old February 7th 17, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

When I was student I worked in a tin box factory, shoveled sand in a
waterworks and sorted mail and parcels at Xmas. Music provided in the
GPO made the sorting shifts go faster. Music While You Work was
provided because it was thought to help productivity.

https://youtu.be/xLhUK23coA8

Memories!

The BBC was still playing this stuff in the 1960s, even after the advent
of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, as if the rock'nroll decade, the
1950s, had never happened. But for the likes of Radio Luxembourg and the
so-called "pirate" offshore stations, the public might never have
discovered that anything other than classical, light orchestral, and
wartime dance band music existed.

how about the cinema? "Rock Around the Clock" for instance.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 7th 17, 11:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

wrote:

When I was student I worked in a tin box factory, shoveled sand in a

waterworks
and sorted mail and parcels at Xmas. Music provided in the GPO made the

sorting
shifts go faster. Music While You Work was provided because it was thought

help productivity.

https://youtu.be/xLhUK23coA8

Memories!

The BBC was still playing this stuff in the 1960s, even after the
advent of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, as if the rock'nroll decade,
the 1950s, had never happened. But for the likes of Radio Luxembourg
and the so-called "pirate" offshore stations, the public might never
have discovered that anything other than classical, light orchestral,
and wartime dance band music existed.

The BBC are still at it of course, except its not music now, its politics.
If you only used BBC for your news you'd think liberalism was a majority
point of view, no one wanted brexit and the whole of america hates trump and
genuflects in front of pictures of Hilary.

--
Spud

Old February 7th 17, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I did I did not last long though.
The repeats are fine as far as it goes, but really the other stuff is just
puerile airtime filling. The old presenters used to get real time feedback
from email text and the like, and now as I say its a juke box.
Incidentally those who miss the Dark Lord can hear him on Radio Kent for
four hours on a Sunday afternoon/evening.
Roger Day has replaced the sadly now dead Dave Cash on Saturdays. I guess
as one of the last dwindling pirate radio DJs he had to get the gig.

"Scott" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 08:20:03 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

OK not tv, but they do have it on freeview.
Note that they have gotten rid of After Midnight real live programming
and
seem to be using a kind of Jukebox software to present what they call
radio
2 playlists, withe plugs and comments obviously recorded and slipped into
the right places by software.
OK they run old versions of popular programs from the previous week as
well, but is this just a cost cutting thing?
You can hear this kind of stuff on other stations on DAB and Freeview. it
seems to me that they are undervaluing the people who work nights and
want
something live to listen to.
Brian

I believe this was discussed fully on 'Feedback' but have still to
listen. From what I gather, there are significant budget cuts and an
'automated' service was considered preferable to ending 24 hour
broadcasting. I think he also said that the audience increased when
they started the 3 am repeat. You should listen.

Old February 7th 17, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

And this means. exactly?
You choose presenters to play the music they like. Not as in most radio in
this country, play from a tiny playlist of wellworn hits.

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

says...
You can hear this kind of stuff on other stations on DAB and Freeview.
it
seems to me that they are undervaluing the people who work nights and
want
something live to listen to.

If I were an employer I should want the buggers to pay attention to the
job, not amuse themselves at my expense.

Old February 7th 17, 01:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The point is that in the night you can actually hear things played by
people who know about the band or artist mixed in with the popular stuff and
driven by listener feedback not as now some sanitised effort no matter how
well meant.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 12:13:11 -0000, UnsteadyKen

says...
You can hear this kind of stuff on other stations on DAB and Freeview.
it
seems to me that they are undervaluing the people who work nights and
want
something live to listen to.

If I were an employer I should want the buggers to pay attention to the
job, not amuse themselves at my expense.

If you had ever done a labouring job requiring little brain power, you
would
know that only the music keeps people awake in the middle of the night.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old February 7th 17, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

It did i used to use it a lot when I worked.
Obviously it depends on the job. Not so good when fault finding but for
those inane bulk jobs that come up every so often, inserting cores in coils,
testing repaired pcbs, and the like, then certainly music does make the time
pass but so does the fact that the presenter is interacting with other
people and sound live not canned.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news

Old February 7th 17, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 13:19:02 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I did I did not last long though.
The repeats are fine as far as it goes, but really the other stuff is just
puerile airtime filling. The old presenters used to get real time feedback
from email text and the like, and now as I say its a juke box.
Incidentally those who miss the Dark Lord can hear him on Radio Kent for
four hours on a Sunday afternoon/evening.
Roger Day has replaced the sadly now dead Dave Cash on Saturdays. I guess
as one of the last dwindling pirate radio DJs he had to get the gig.
Brian

Other than your use of the word 'puerile' you are pretty much
repeating what was said on 'Feedback'.

FWIW I do question the premise that budgets for the highest audience
shows should be prioritised. I would argue that as a public service
broadcaster the BBC has a duty to serve all the public and in
particular to fill the gaps left by the commercial sector. They could
- as one of the contributors suggested - get rid of some of the
so-called talent and employ ordinary disc jockeys and make the savings
through the day, thus continuing to fund the off-peak and niche shows.