A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 4th 17, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?

For our sins we record and watch Father Brown on BBC1. Series 4 has just
finished and a new series starts next week. This will be series 5? No
way - the schedule shows that they start off with the first two episodes
of Series 3 and them jump to episode 6. What logic and thought for the
viewer!

Sam
  #2  
Old February 4th 17, 04:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,370
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?

So are they importantly needing to be in real chronological order?
I've noticed other stations doing second runs of things doing this kind of
thing Pick in particular have done it with Bones episodes recently.
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Sam" wrote in message
...
For our sins we record and watch Father Brown on BBC1. Series 4 has just
finished and a new series starts next week. This will be series 5? No
way - the schedule shows that they start off with the first two episodes
of Series 3 and them jump to episode 6. What logic and thought for the
viewer!

Sam



  #3  
Old February 4th 17, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 243
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?

On 04/02/2017 16:25, Sam wrote:
For our sins we record and watch Father Brown on BBC1. Series 4 has just
finished and a new series starts next week. This will be series 5? No
way - the schedule shows that they start off with the first two episodes
of Series 3 and them jump to episode 6. What logic and thought for the
viewer!

Sam


Errr, your point is?

They are repeats, of series 3. Not a brand new series, that's next year.
Granted they jump over a few episodes, but each story is virtually
complete within itself.
  #4  
Old February 4th 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?

On 04/02/2017 17:33, Dickie mint wrote:
On 04/02/2017 16:25, Sam wrote:
For our sins we record and watch Father Brown on BBC1. Series 4 has just
finished and a new series starts next week. This will be series 5? No
way - the schedule shows that they start off with the first two episodes
of Series 3 and them jump to episode 6. What logic and thought for the
viewer!

Sam


Errr, your point is?

They are repeats, of series 3. Not a brand new series, that's next year.
Granted they jump over a few episodes, but each story is virtually
complete within itself.

Obviously they are repeats - series 3 comes before 4!

The individual episode is usually complete, unless it is in two parts,
but there is an ongoing background story. eg The change in the police
inspector - the appearance of the character Flambeau in various
episodes. The continuity is ruined if the episodes and series are out of
sequence.

Bones has been mentioned in another response and in this case the
depiction of the relationship between Booth, Bones and Bone's students
become meaningless if shown out of sequence as there is no continuity in
the ongoing back story.

So my point is:

What is the point of showing the programmes out of sequence. Doesn't the
viewers veiwing experience and enjoyment count for anything?
  #5  
Old February 4th 17, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 243
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?

On 04/02/2017 18:10, Sam wrote:
snip
What is the point of showing the programmes out of sequence. Doesn't the
viewers veiwing experience and enjoyment count for anything?


The best example was Pointless. Thread on here somewhere. The much
advertised 1000th episode was followed by 997? which mentioned the
forthcoming 1000th!

And if you watch Daytime crap, my wife does, the Bargain Hunt genre are
frequently shown mixed up. Here they put one new one on with a load of
oft repeated ones!
  #6  
Old February 5th 17, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,370
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?

In other words nobody cares any more because nobody is there to uphold
standards. Its probably all automated anyway. You can hear this on many
channels when the wrong continuity piece gets edited in sometimes.
Never mind you can all sit down and watch Celebrity canal or barge boating
now. What fun!
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dickie mint" wrote in message
...
On 04/02/2017 18:10, Sam wrote:
snip
What is the point of showing the programmes out of sequence. Doesn't the
viewers veiwing experience and enjoyment count for anything?


The best example was Pointless. Thread on here somewhere. The much
advertised 1000th episode was followed by 997? which mentioned the
forthcoming 1000th!

And if you watch Daytime crap, my wife does, the Bargain Hunt genre are
frequently shown mixed up. Here they put one new one on with a load of
oft repeated ones!



  #7  
Old February 6th 17, 12:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 336
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 16:25:30 +0000, Sam wrote:

For our sins we record and watch Father Brown on BBC1. Series 4 has just
finished and a new series starts next week. This will be series 5? No
way - the schedule shows that they start off with the first two episodes
of Series 3 and them jump to episode 6. What logic and thought for the
viewer!


Series 5 finished airing its final episode last month on the 19th so I
hardly expect the Beeb to be airing it all over again this month. In this
case the answer to the question, "Too soon?" is a resounding "Yes!".

However, getting onto the question of random episode repeats, this is
far from the first time the Beeb have given the "Father Brown" series
this treatment. Series 2 which was originally aired back in January 2014,
then repeated the following January, had episodes 3 and 9 repeated mid
December last year just before embarking on showing the full 15 episodes
of the latest Series 5, starting on 23rd December with episode 1 before
continuing with episode 2 on Monday the 2nd January in an uninterrupted
weekday sequence finishing on Thursday the 19th January.

I guess the random selection of a couple of FB Series 2 episodes were
just "scheduling gap fillers" due, I expect, to an "unscheduled sporting
event under-run". Since these repeats made them available from the iplayer
servers again, I took the opportunity to refresh my earlier recordings
with higher def versions sans end credit vandalism which is why I was
able "To Remember" this oddball scheduling event.

Anyway, I guess you don't record as much of the Beeb's output as I've
been doing during the past decade or you'd not have bothered complaining
about such *minor* scheduling shenanigans, what with the Beeb being
habitual repeat offenders and all.

In this case, it's a repeat of a 15 episode series first shown in
January and February 2015 where episode 1 was aired last, preceded the
day before by episode 15 which had followed episode 14 aired some 4 weeks
earlier on the 22nd January. There's no rhyme nor reason to this "Unique
Way" the BBC order the showing of series episodes in this out of order
fashion. As we all (ought to) know by now, the Beeb are a law unto
themselves.

In this case particularly (a series made up of self contained stories),
I wouldn't get your 'pants in a twist. I'm sure it'll all work out right
in the end. You'll see/record all 15 episodes eventually, even if there's
a week or four's gap somewhere in the sequence.

A month's gap is nothing compared the several months gaps I've seen with
some 3 and 4 episode series such as, for example "Earth's Seasonal
Secrets" which started with "Summer" 28th Aug last year followed by
"Autumn" 4 weeks later then "Winter" 13 weeks later again. I'm still
waiting for the 4th and final episode, presumably named "Spring", to
materialise in the Beeb's TV schedule. :-(

Maybe they're waiting for *this* year's Spring to complete the
commission. Who knows? It does seem a little odd to start the four
seasons with Winter rather than Spring but that's the thing with the
seasons I suppose, just like an Amusement Fair Roundabout ride, you can
hop on at any point and see every view in the same sequence regardless.

I suppose the fourth and final episode will eventually materialise and
I'll have the complete series to move onto the fileserver (NAS box to the
younger trendy generation). I'm not holding my breath since there are
plenty of other examples of the Beeb's "Unique Ways We Schedule
Broadcasts" to also not hold my breath for. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
  #8  
Old February 6th 17, 03:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?


In this case particularly (a series made up of self contained stories),
I wouldn't get your 'pants in a twist. I'm sure it'll all work out right
in the end. You'll see/record all 15 episodes eventually, even if there's
a week or four's gap somewhere in the sequence.


Each episode, unless a two part one, contains a "self contained" story
but there is also a back story.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #9  
Old February 6th 17, 04:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,171
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 16:25:30 +0000, Sam wrote:

For our sins we record and watch Father Brown on BBC1. Series 4 has just
finished and a new series starts next week. This will be series 5? No
way - the schedule shows that they start off with the first two episodes
of Series 3 and them jump to episode 6. What logic and thought for the
viewer!

As a digression, they put 'Scotland 2106' on at the same time as
'Reporting Scotland', 'Scotland Tonight' (STV), 'Newsnight' (BBC Two
HD) and 'Question Time' (on Thursdays) then took it off because the
audience figures were too low.
  #10  
Old February 7th 17, 02:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 320
Default BBC1 Scheduling - Contempt for Viewers?



"Sam" wrote in message
o.uk...

In this case particularly (a series made up of self contained stories),
I wouldn't get your 'pants in a twist. I'm sure it'll all work out right
in the end. You'll see/record all 15 episodes eventually, even if there's
a week or four's gap somewhere in the sequence.


Each episode, unless a two part one, contains a "self contained" story but
there is also a back story.


only very very trivially

tim



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.