700 MHz clearance starts March 1

Old February 4th 17, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Default 700 MHz clearance starts March 1

At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

--
Mark
Old February 4th 17, 10:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:48:43 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

When they say 'a small proportion of group C/D aerials may need to be
updated', do they mean a small proportion of all the aerials (ie,
those that are group C/D) or do they meal all group C/D aerials?

Also what is 'T (wideband)'? I thought 'W' was wideband.
Old February 4th 17, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote:

At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

When they say 'a small proportion of group C/D aerials may need to be
updated', do they mean a small proportion of all the aerials (ie,
those that are group C/D) or do they meal all group C/D aerials?

Also what is 'T (wideband)'? I thought 'W' was wideband.

When new aerials are fitted nowadays, are they still tuned to a range of
channels (even if not as small a range as they used to be) or are they all
wideband nowadays, suitable for whatever changes Ofcom may make in the
future?

Old February 4th 17, 10:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 10:20:00 -0000, "NY" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

When they say 'a small proportion of group C/D aerials may need to be
updated', do they mean a small proportion of all the aerials (ie,
those that are group C/D) or do they meal all group C/D aerials?

Should read 'mean'.

Also what is 'T (wideband)'? I thought 'W' was wideband.

When new aerials are fitted nowadays, are they still tuned to a range of
channels (even if not as small a range as they used to be) or are they all
wideband nowadays, suitable for whatever changes Ofcom may make in the
future?

That's an interesting question. Are the new 'wideband' aerials less
'wide' than they used to be if Ofcom have chopped off the top part of
the spectrum?
Old February 4th 17, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

Except that neither you nor I can see Selkirk transmissions. There may
well be one of those caption boxes on the bottom of the screen warning
about the channel change that has been there for some time.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 4th 17, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the
viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

When they say 'a small proportion of group C/D aerials may need to
be
updated', do they mean a small proportion of all the aerials (ie,
those that are group C/D) or do they meal all group C/D aerials?

Also what is 'T (wideband)'? I thought 'W' was wideband.

When new aerials are fitted nowadays, are they still tuned to a
range of channels (even if not as small a range as they used to be)
or are they all wideband nowadays, suitable for whatever changes
Ofcom may make in the future?

Actually they have dropped one there. W is wideband - 21-68 - whereas
T-band is 21-60 which is what ought to be being used almost everywhere
since 800MHz was cleared.

What they should have advised is K-band (which may or may not be
available) which is 21-48 (so 49 won't be a problem) that now ought to
be the preferred post 700MHz clearance.

Old February 4th 17, 11:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 11:04:14 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
news:[email protected] co.uk...
wrote:

[...]

Interesting. On a note of self-interest, struggling to find any
details for Blackhill. I have a Group B aerial at present. I am
hoping I may be okay as the drift seems to be in a downward direction.
(The reality is if I keep the main HD multiplex nothing else matters
greatly!)
Old February 4th 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Scott" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 11:04:14 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .co.uk...
wrote:

[...]

You really need to go to wideband as BH uses 51 for local TV which
will have to move, but already has Com7/8 down in the 30's.

Old February 4th 17, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:48:43 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

So their "Current accelerated clearance plan (Sep 2016)" at:
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/92021/Ofcom_map_of_D23_700MHz_clearance_rollout_plan.pdf
is complete ******** then?

That has the Selkirk and surrounding areas not moving until Q3/4 2019.

And what in the world does "D23" mean?

Useless lumps, the lot of them.
Old February 4th 17, 04:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/02/2017 11:00, Woody wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

Except that neither you nor I can see Selkirk transmissions. There may
well be one of those caption boxes on the bottom of the screen warning
about the channel change that has been there for some time.

A word search for 'transmitter' in the border newspapers finds nothing
relevant.