700 MHz clearance starts March 1

Old February 5th 17, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

Default 700 MHz clearance starts March 1

On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 12:59:35 -0000, Woody wrote:

Best option is manual tune it, then you will know.
Angus is 60, 53, 57*, 54, 58, 49, 31*, and 37* so almost all will have
to move.
Durris is 28, 25, 22*, 23, 26, 29, 32*, and 35* which won't need to
move.
Stations asterisked are HD.

Stations (sic) asterisked are DVB-T2. Some T2 muxes contain both HD and SD
services.
It is therefore completely incorrect to refer to muxes as HD.
Old February 5th 17, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/02/2017 16:13, charles wrote:

Had a mail from my cousin in Peebles this morning. They knew nothing
of it and as yet there has been no local publicity.

Peebles has its own relay. While its input channels will change the output
ones won't

But the Peeble peeple will read local papers aimed at the wider area.

Old February 5th 17, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/02/2017 17:59, Woody wrote:

Yes but it will be off air whilst the transposer unit is reprogrammed
and a different Rx filter put in place, and then readings taken and
confirmed.

The godfearin' peeble peeple will be in their beds. (Either alone or
with their spouse.)

Old February 5th 17, 06:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Jim Lesurf
writes

But
couldn't find any way to do this in a channel-specific manner to build up
the preferred set for a specific TX.

It's been ages since I did a re-scan of any kind, but on at least one of
my now-ancient set-top boxes, I recall being to manually tune in - and
store - each MUX in turn.

--
Ian
Old February 6th 17, 03:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 05/02/2017 16:29, Mark Carver wrote:
On 05/02/2017 16:13, charles wrote:

Peebles has its own relay. While its input channels will change the
output
ones won't

Indeed, and the only way for Peebles not to get any captions that they
might be able to insert on Selkirk, might be the MHEG method, but I've
not even sure whether the relays will just 'dumbly' carry the same SIDs,
unless they can be tied to specific UHF channels too ?

I've enquired today, and yes MHEG prompts will appear, and appear for
Selkirk only. The application will rely on one of the COM muxes being
present in the receiver's look up table to show itself. None of
Selkirk's relays carry any COMs, so the message will (should !) only
appear for direct viewers of Selkirk.

--
Mark
Old February 7th 17, 03:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 06/02/2017 16:14, Mark Carver wrote:
On 05/02/2017 16:29, Mark Carver wrote:
On 05/02/2017 16:13, charles wrote:

Peebles has its own relay. While its input channels will change the
output
ones won't

Indeed, and the only way for Peebles not to get any captions that they
might be able to insert on Selkirk, might be the MHEG method, but I've
not even sure whether the relays will just 'dumbly' carry the same SIDs,
unless they can be tied to specific UHF channels too ?

I've enquired today, and yes MHEG prompts will appear, and appear for
Selkirk only. The application will rely on one of the COM muxes being
present in the receiver's look up table to show itself. None of
Selkirk's relays carry any COMs, so the message will (should !) only
appear for direct viewers of Selkirk.

Thanks for taking the trouble.

But...

People watching TV without the ability to see MHEG messages will have no
OTA notice. That includes anyone watching on a computer with just about
any software other than Windows Media Centre.

This is not good enough.

I'd wrote the traditional letter to The Times if only I were a retired
colonel living in Selkirk - or Tunbridge Wells

--
Robin
Old February 7th 17, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 12:52:07 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 11:04:14 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
news:[email protected] w.co.uk...
"Scott" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:48:43 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

At Selkirk, for BBC A.

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the
viewer's
own expense ?).

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/92011/Selkirk_700MHz_clearance_briefing_from_Digital_UK. pdf

When they say 'a small proportion of group C/D aerials may need
be
updated', do they mean a small proportion of all the aerials (ie,
those that are group C/D) or do they meal all group C/D aerials?

Also what is 'T (wideband)'? I thought 'W' was wideband.

When new aerials are fitted nowadays, are they still tuned to a
range of channels (even if not as small a range as they used to
be)
or are they all wideband nowadays, suitable for whatever changes
Ofcom may make in the future?

Actually they have dropped one there. W is wideband - 21-68 -
whereas
T-band is 21-60 which is what ought to be being used almost
everywhere
since 800MHz was cleared.

What they should have advised is K-band (which may or may not be
available) which is 21-48 (so 49 won't be a problem) that now ought
be the preferred post 700MHz clearance.

Interesting. On a note of self-interest, struggling to find any
details for Blackhill. I have a Group B aerial at present. I am
hoping I may be okay as the drift seems to be in a downward
direction.
(The reality is if I keep the main HD multiplex nothing else matters
greatly!)

You really need to go to wideband as BH uses 51 for local TV which
will have to move, but already has Com7/8 down in the 30's.

Thanks. My plan is approach the situation reactively. If the
channels I watch suffer a 'drop' I will replace the aerial. If not, I
will just leave it. At them moment I think one of the channels is
off-group but still works fine. The reality is that if the HD mux is
okay I probably won't be too concerned about any others.
Old February 9th 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

wrote:

Nice of Ofcom et al to give plenty of notice (less than 4 weeks)
that many viewers' aerials will require replacement (at the viewer's
own expense ?).

That's bad, and is probably the most serious complaint, but it's not
the only one:

:-( "Information will be available on the Freeview website at
link to https://www.freeview.co.uk/borders" gives a 404!
It does say that that and the phone number will be available
from Feb 14th, but effectively that makes it only two weeks
notice!

:-( Ofcom are still using PSB1, etc, as mux names, but DUK
are using BBCA, etc, thus making things even more confusing
to the general user than they need be.

:-( Digital UK's website has been "mobile"-ised, and now
nothing works in the latest version of Firefox on a
conventional PC ...
Menu Button Top Right non-functional
Search button non-functional
No 'breadcrumb' path navigational aid
... so effectively there is no way of navigating the site!
Doesn't anybody ***TEST*** anything these days!

Consequent to the above, I have to find out where the current mux
details, such as DVB-T or DVB-T2, FCC, etc, are being kept.
Old February 9th 17, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 09/02/2017 18:10, Java Jive wrote:
snip
:-( Digital UK's website has been "mobile"-ised, and now
nothing works in the latest version of Firefox on a
conventional PC ...
Menu Button Top Right non-functional
Search button non-functional
No 'breadcrumb' path navigational aid
... so effectively there is no way of navigating the site!
Doesn't anybody ***TEST*** anything these days!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Menu Button Top Right" but the drop down
menus for Channels, Operations etc and the Search button work for me in
Firefox 51.0.1 (32 bit) in Windows 10 64 (with the site allowed in
NoScript).

--
Robin
Old February 10th 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 22:19:52 +0000, Robin wrote:

On 09/02/2017 18:10, Java Jive wrote:
snip
:-( Digital UK's website has been "mobile"-ised, and now
nothing works in the latest version of Firefox on a
conventional PC ...
Menu Button Top Right non-functional
Search button non-functional
No 'breadcrumb' path navigational aid
... so effectively there is no way of navigating the site!
Doesn't anybody ***TEST*** anything these days!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Menu Button Top Right" but the drop down
menus for Channels, Operations etc and the Search button work for me in
Firefox 51.0.1 (32 bit) in Windows 10 64 (with the site allowed in
NoScript).

Same version, Yesscript allowing the site, doesn't ask for Flash,
default theme but Classic Theme Restorer add-on - page shows
contents alright, but all menus, links, etc are dead.

This is probably why ...

Firebug gives:
Typeerror browser is undefined.

Opera gives:
[10/02/2017 13:46:08] JavaScript -
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/
Event thread: DOMContentLoaded
Uncaught exception: TypeError: Cannot convert 'browser' to object
Error thrown at line 26, column 1 in anonymous function() in
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragec...rlay_hover.js:
if(browser.msie===true && browser.version === '6.0')
called via Function.prototype.call() from line 19, column 41125 in
anonymous function: ready() in
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/as...725/jquery.js:
this.call(document,o)
called via Function.prototype.call() from line 12, column 15654 in
anonymous function: each(G, K, F) in
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/as...725/jquery.js:
for(var J=G[0];HI&&K.call(J,H,J)!==false;J=G[++H])
called from line 19, column 41019 in anonymous function: ready() in
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/as...725/jquery.js:
o.each(o.readyList,function(){this.call(document,o )});
called from line 19, column 41621 in anonymous function() in
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/as...725/jquery.js:
o.ready()

So like I said, lack of proper testing.