Finding who has rights to something

Old February 2nd 17, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Finding who has rights to something

Back in the Day there was a talking set top pvr sold under the TVonics brand
name. After some messing about it seems, at least from anecdotal info,
that RNIB have intellectual copyright on much of the original design.
However nobody at RNIB seems to actually know. Typical corporate amnesia
I'd say.
Does anyone know anything about this as I seem to recall some were sold
just as pvrs before the company went under and I suspect that it probably
used pretty standard chipsets and design in any case just adding perhaps
different software and some memory to enable the talking features. Since
RNIB seem to have zilch interest in helping us blindies to actually have a
talking pvr any longer, it seems several vi companies might be interested in
developing the design with extra features and want to attempt not to get
sued a and of course obtain supplies of any custom cchips etc.
Does anyone know anything here about this or how some of my contacts can
proceed. Most are small concerns and hence even pooling their resources
would not want to enter into prolonged legal issues costing more than the
project development costs from scratch.

Old February 2nd 17, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

I looked on wiki and found this:

Pulse-Eight Limited (Pulse-Eight) is a hardware designer and manufacturer
based in the United Kingdom producing consumer electronics for the home
entertainment and custom install industry. Pulse-Eight designs,
manufactures and retails bespoke hardware solutions primarily designed for
Kodi (Media Centre) software. On 22 October 2012, it was reported that
Pulse-Eight had bought the TVonics brand and the technology behind TVonics
DVRs from TVonics Solutions Limited who had collapsed into administration in
June 2012, but saw no reference to RNIB.

news

Old February 2nd 17, 02:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 11:18:44 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

[...]
Brian

I'm sorry that I have no specific knowledge to help you, Brian, but
for old information about discontinued models or dead companies, you
might get some mileage from the Wayback Machine which keeps an archive
of old internet sites and pages, although you might need a fairly
specific knowledge of what domains to search ...
http://archive.org/web/
Old February 2nd 17, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes it seems amazing tom me that something so important was just left to rot
by an organisation whos main mission is supposed to be to help blind people.
None of those who were pro active then are still with the organisation and
even the chief exec has gone.

Its just all so irritating. Another tack I thought of after writing this is
to maybe see if anything similar still exists eleswhere in the world given
that digital standards do seem to be converging rather.

Old February 2nd 17, 04:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Another tack is to maybe find somebody who has uilt themselves a media
centre using bits and pieces of current tech and see how easy it might be to
actually produce a DIY kit for a cheap computer with add ons to do the same
job.

Old February 3rd 17, 04:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 03/02/2017 16:59, Paul Cummins wrote:
In ,
(Brian Gaff) wrote:

Back in the Day there was a talking set top pvr sold under the
TVonics brand name. After some messing about it seems, at least
from anecdotal info, that RNIB have intellectual copyright on much
of the original design.

TVonics Solutions Limited went into administration in 2012 and was
liquidated in 2015.

The Insolvency Practitioner was.
Gary Bell, 3 Hardman Street, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3HF

If you want a TVonics box of your own, there is one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TVONICS-Fr...-/152418167351

The only risk is that although it has the correct part number, the
seller makes no reference to the ability to talk. It might be because
he never needed it; but it might be that the upgrade to talking ones,
which were an RNIB special (see http://tinyurl.com/jnvyzrx for info)
didn't get done by the person selling it. However, if the software
add-on is still available, it could be updated. You will probably need
sighted assistance for that, because until the update is done, you won't
be able to navigate the menus.

Old February 3rd 17, 04:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/02/2017 11:18, Brian Gaff wrote:
Back in the Day there was a talking set top pvr sold under the TVonics brand
name.

Have you heard of this option?
http://www.portset.co.uk/digital-media-centre/