3D TV RIP

Old January 30th 17, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default 3D TV RIP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/
Old January 30th 17, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 30/01/17 12:56, wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Not crying
I'm not crying
I'm really not crying
I'm absolutely not crying ...
..
..
..
..
I'm ....
;-(
Old January 30th 17, 02:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 04:56:55 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

I'm not at all surprised. I thought market research years ago reached
this conclusion.
Old January 30th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

I'm not at all surprised. I thought market research years ago reached
this conclusion.

but they still tried to sell them, in spite of that :-)

tim

Old January 30th 17, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 30 January 2017 12:56:56 UTC, wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Yes, quite a bit of coverage on this.

I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick and would not be the "next big thing", so I did not buy one.

OTOH 4K displays and to a lesser extent TV's are and are here to stay. In any even the premium for a 4k panel is quite modest, so if I do buy a new TV it will be 4k. I already bought a 4k monitor in 2014 - it was well worth the money.
Old January 30th 17, 04:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

I'm not at all surprised. I thought market research years ago reached
this conclusion.

I went to a lecture in the 1990s that the IEE organised about research into
3D. The conclusion that they reached was there were some people for whom 3D
film/TV just didn't "work" convincingly, irrespective of the technology. Not
because they couldn't perceive depth but that it led to an unrealistic
effect where different objects appeared to be flat cutouts at different
distances from the viewer, rather than appearing to be rounded objects. They
described this effect as "cardboarding".

I saw 3D at my sister's house a year or so ago: they had a 3D TV with
alternate-shutter glasses which showed two viewpoints in rapid succession,
with only the shutter for the left glasses being open for the left image,
and likewise for the right shutter. Sky box menus looked very odd when they
were closer to the viewer than the background image that they overlaid.
Landscapes and other scenes of mainly distant objects were most convincing,
but anything involving objects coming towards the camera or passing close in
front of it looked OTT, as if the depth axis had been exaggerated. As with
the stereoscopic photographs in the Viewmaster
http://www.opticalspy.com/uploads/1/...39863_orig.jpg, I could
see the "cardboarding effect": everything looked like cardboard cutouts at
different distances. I also felt dizzy after a few minutes.

Nice try, but the psychological failings, rather than the technological
failings, were the main thing that killed it off.

Old January 30th 17, 08:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Monday, 30 January 2017 12:56:56 UTC, wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Yes, quite a bit of coverage on this.

I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick and would not be the "next big
thing", so I did not buy one.

OTOH 4K displays and to a lesser extent TV's are and are here to stay. In
any even the premium for a 4k panel is quite modest, so if I do buy a new
TV it will be 4k. I already bought a 4k monitor in 2014 - it was well
worth the money.

The projected hologram must be on the verge of production.

http://www.psfk.com/2014/11/3d-home-...ogy-bleen.html

Old January 30th 17, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 08:40:13 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Monday, 30 January 2017 12:56:56 UTC, wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Yes, quite a bit of coverage on this.

I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick and would not be the "next big thing", so I did not buy one.

OTOH 4K displays and to a lesser extent TV's are and are here to stay. In any even the premium for a 4k panel is quite modest, so if I do buy a new TV it will be 4k. I already bought a 4k monitor in 2014 - it was well worth the money.

Are there likely to be any terrestrial programmes? The BBC - in radio
and TV - struggles to maintain the bitrates they have let alone
offering better quality.
Old January 30th 17, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 30/01/2017 16:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
OTOH 4K displays and to a lesser extent TV's are and are here to stay. In any even the premium for a 4k panel is quite modest, so if I do buy a new TV it will be 4k. I already bought a 4k monitor in 2014 - it was well worth the money.

I'm not convinced I'd be able to see the difference at real viewing
distances. OTOH it may become necessary to go 4k just because normal
1920x1080 becomes so bit starved... just like SD has.

Andy
Old January 30th 17, 11:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Stereoscopy has cropped up and been heralded as the next big thing at
least once per generation since the invention of photography. It
usually has a brief life as a gimmick but never really catches on.