3D TV RIP

Old January 31st 17, 12:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m

Default 3D TV RIP

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 08:40:13 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Monday, 30 January 2017 12:56:56 UTC, wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Yes, quite a bit of coverage on this.

I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick and would not be the "next big thing", so I did not buy one.

snip

I'm sure all those of us who are vaguely 'technical' know others who
(often) 'have all the gear but no idea'?

I was with such a family a while back who had just bought a fairly big
curved screen 3d TV.

We were 'giving it a go' and they handed me a pair of 3d glasses and
were ooing and arrring over the 3d effect. I suggested it wasn't
actually 3d (it didn't look 3d, just a double image) because the
source (Freeview) wasn't 3D but they didn't seem to get it.

I asked if they actually had some 3D source material and they pulled
out a 3D Bluray and I put it on. *Then* they realised what 3D actually
looked like! ;-)

After that I was asked if I could hook up the soundbar (as they had
tried and failed) ...

I bough some cheap headphones the other day for watching NowTv on a
tablet. I quickly noticed that the stereo was back to front (L/R) as
something seen exiting stage left was heard going stage right. So, I
put the headphones on back to front (they were marked and shaped to be
one way round) and will re-wire them when I get roundtuit. ;-)

I wonder what percentage of the TV viewing public would spot that sort
of thing (other than us here and the audiophiles of course). ;-)

'Having an ear' can also be a curse of course as we also hear all the
distortion, hum, crackles and noises that most others are blissfully
oblivious to. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Old January 31st 17, 06:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 30/01/2017 20:59, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/01/2017 16:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
OTOH 4K displays and to a lesser extent TV's are and are here to
stay. In any even the premium for a 4k panel is quite modest, so if I
do buy a new TV it will be 4k. I already bought a 4k monitor in 2014
- it was well worth the money.

I'm not convinced I'd be able to see the difference at real viewing
distances. OTOH it may become necessary to go 4k just because normal
1920x1080 becomes so bit starved... just like SD has.

HDR has more of a 'wow' factor than 4K over HD, (and it can be applied
to HD too, so you don't really need to worry about 4k HDR)

--
Mark
Old January 31st 17, 08:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well who would want to wear daft glasses to watch tv. Unless they can create
it with no glasses for all in the room there seems little point in it. I
suspect hopes are pinned on vr headsets for the future.

That will really be atractiive to wear when you go and want to make the tea.

Old January 31st 17, 08:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes. I had a 3d photo viewer when I was young, it made everything in its
world look like cardboard cut outs, much in the way looking through
binoculars used to, and probably still does.
Then there was the 3 d camera and special prints with the little prisms on
top that cost a packet to get printed and only looked right from directly
infront.
Them tthere were holograms, in some coherent colour only which worked due
to interference patterns created by coherent light.
Then often there were the glasses either two colour, polarised or shutter
switch lcds.
None of these really lent themselves to true colour hi res viewing without
a headache.
Now I'm too blind to even care if the picture is there in the first place!

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 04:56:55 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Stereoscopy has cropped up and been heralded as the next big thing at
least once per generation since the invention of photography. It
usually has a brief life as a gimmick but never really catches on.

Old January 31st 17, 08:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 30/01/2017 20:59, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/01/2017 16:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
OTOH 4K displays and to a lesser extent TV's are and are here to
stay. In any even the premium for a 4k panel is quite modest, so if I
do buy a new TV it will be 4k. I already bought a 4k monitor in 2014
- it was well worth the money.

I'm not convinced I'd be able to see the difference at real viewing
distances. OTOH it may become necessary to go 4k just because normal
1920x1080 becomes so bit starved... just like SD has.

HDR has more of a 'wow' factor than 4K over HD, (and it can be applied

but surely we are supposed to be wow-ed by program content, not picture
quality

what the point of having nothing to watch but x-factor 24/7, whilst being
able to chant "but the picture's nice and sharp/colourful/whatever"

tim

Old January 31st 17, 08:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Stereoscopy has cropped up and been heralded as the next big thing at
least once per generation since the invention of photography. It
usually has a brief life as a gimmick but never really catches on.

The French are quite into 3D cinema as a 'special'. You tend to find
it at amusement parks and fairs.

--
Chris Green
·
Old January 31st 17, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

My TV came with the glasses, still in the box. I would have liked to have
tried the effect at home. I'm told that there is some content on the
Internet but I have never found the time to search.

The flat card effect seems to be a function of the two points of recording
and playback. I remember the 3D films of the 50's and have seen a couple of
large screen ones. With the exception of 'Gravity' which I thoroughly
enjoyed, they all seemed to have that appearance.

Maybe one day .....

Old January 31st 17, 09:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

https://en.futuroscope.com/

Old January 31st 17, 09:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

On Monday, 30 January 2017 12:56:56 UTC, wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-stop-making/

Yes, quite a bit of coverage on this.

I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick and would not be the "next big thing", so I did not buy one.

snip

I'm sure all those of us who are vaguely 'technical' know others who
(often) 'have all the gear but no idea'?

Like the early adopter of DAB I know.
He bought a tuner to go in his stack of hifi separates, and even had a
big DAB aerial erected. Horizontally polarised. I tried to tell him
but he was not having it.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 31st 17, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

[...]

Speaker phasing is the one the uninitiated always get wrong, because
they don't even know of the concept. Granted, stereo they have a 50/50
chance of getting it right, but with 5.1 its more like...
well you do the math(s).

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%